Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tealeave

Questions about Spiral Dynamics

2 posts in this topic

Hello everybody! (Sorry if some of these questions have already been discussed in this forum)

I have a few questions about the model of Spiral Dynamics, maybe you can help me here?

The first question is how do I properly integrate the individual stages? Which aspects are healthy aspects of each stage (which are unhealthy?) And how do I integrate them (maybe you have a list or something)?
I live in a very liberal (with a good amount of green) city in Germany. And just the fact that I'm studying here in this city raises me to the green level due to the culture and surroundings. But that doesn't necessarily mean that I really integrated orange / blue, does it? Only the culture around me emerged from these stages of development. So how can I personally integrate the lessons from each (!) stage?

A question about the 2nd tier:

It seems to me that the 2nd tier is all about knowledge? The individual accumulates amounts of knowledge in order to understand politics, society, globalization etc. etc. I think I have understood why the solutions of the 1nd tier are only individual perspectives, but that leads to a “not knowing” for me. Everything is so complex and incredibly difficult to understand. Who am I to be able to form an opinion about even a little thing? For me, this leads to a kind of "veil of passivity" in which I try to understand everything (often enough this fails).
But it seems to me almost impossible for all people to acquire this amount of knowledge. Not all people are interested in politics / social issues, but rather prefer to live in private. So what does 2nd tier mean? That I read Wilber, Luhmann, Habermass? I mean have you done it? This is freaking complex!
What does it mean in everyday life to integrate the yellow stage?

I hope my questions are understandable, and we can discuss them

Edited by Tealeave

29 minutes ago, Tealeave said:

The first question is how do I properly integrate the individual stages? Which aspects are healthy aspects of each level (which are unhealthy?) And how do I integrate them (maybe you have a list or something?)?

This was explained in every Spiral stage video of mine. I have lists of how to move up to the next stage.

It seems to me that the 2nd tier is all about knowledge? The individual accumulates amounts of knowledge in order to understand politics, society, globalization etc. etc.

No, not knowledge per se but understanding and perspective, Without a nuanced understanding you will be lost fighting other people and yourself. To live in 2nd Tier requires a very sophisticated understanding of how the mind and world works. This is not about accumulating a bunch of theory, it's about a deep contemplation of the mechanics of life and self.

I think I have understood why the solutions of the 1nd tier are only individual perspectives, but that leads to a “not knowing” for me. Everything is so complex and incredibly difficult to understand. Who am I to be able to form an opinion about even a little thing? For me, this leads to a kind of "veil of passivity" in which I try to understand everything (often enough this fails).

See my video on Nihilism where I address this very problem of relativism and aperspectival madness that you're going through.

"Not knowing" is too easy. That's not good enough to survive effectively in life. You have no choice but to know, and Tier 2 requires very sophisticated sense-making.

But it seems to me almost impossible for all people to acquire this amount of knowledge.

It's not impossible at all. Educate yourself. Read books. Over a decade you will develop a much richer understanding of the world and yourself.

Also, this requires serious personal reflection and contemplation.

Not all people are interested in politics / social issues, but rather prefer to live in private.

You are citizen of a democracy (I assume), and you are citizen of the world. It is your duty as a conscious being to  care about politics and social issues, even if you live in private. You are a social animal. Social issues are not optional. The only question is whether you will do them poorly or well. Part of Tier 2 is that you take much more responsibility for life and the world. You cannot just live "privately". That illusion flies out the window.

So what does 2nd tier mean?

It means what videos Yellow and Turquoise say. And what the Spiral Dyanmics book says. Read the book. Stop being lazy.

That I read Wilber, Luhmann, Habermass?

At least read the Spiral Dynamics book.

This is freaking complex!

YES! Welcome to Tier 2, and welcome to life! Life is complex.

Tier 2 is less that 1% of the world population. It is not easy to develop. Now you understand why. People are too lazy to do the development work or to even read a book.

If you are not willing to read at least 100 books, then you can forget about Tier 2. You're not serious about this work then, and you're not serious about life. Tier 2 is NOT about reading books, but if you are unwilling to read 100 books then that shows you are not serious about understanding reality, and therefore you are doomed to be deluded. And as a deluded and ignorant person you will be in Tier 1.

Spiral Dynamics is a complex model that requires at least 50 hours of study and research to begin to understand. It's not hard, but it does take work. None of this work is rocket science, but it does take a serious commitment to personal growth and mastery of life.

- - - - -

Your fundamental problem is lack of seriousness and engagement with life. If you don't change your attitude, your life will be wasted.

Life works like this: you only get what you give. And right now it sounds like you're not interested in giving much. So you won't get much.

If you want to change, make a commitment to life-long education and to reading at least 100 books from my book list. Now you can get somewhere. But still, that's less than 3% of the work necessary to really master life. That's just the first step. That merely opens the door.

It takes about 5 years to move up 1 Spiral stage, and that assumes active, serious work at it. So it might take you 15 years of personal development work to reach Tier 2.

Before you balk at this, ask yourself this: what else is there to do? You got something more important to do? Hehehe....

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.