Leo Gura

This Is Nuts

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, ArcticGong said:

but I genuinely wonder why Isreal and Palestine's conflict is so polarising in the public discourse? The argument is usually humanitarian, which is completely valid, but we know that the region is in the middle of "more urgent" humanitarian crises in Yemen for example. So, what is it, humanitarian or something else? 

Many if not most worldviews and political ideologies box Israel into a certain pre-made narrative. For example, a communist is anti-Israel and points out the wrongdoing and injustice. A capitalist will do the opposite and admire Israel for its scientific achievements and overall success. Protestants tend to support Israel while Catholics less so. And the list goes on: (western) conservatives vs liberals, stage blue vs stage orange vs stage green, and of course Jews vs Muslims. 

Can you see how that tiny piece of land triggers all those worldviews and inflames the passions of literally billions of people? Much more so than the conflict in Yemen which is by all objective standards much more horrific but it just does not trigger people the same.

Yeah, ideology breeds hypocrisy: literally, a few evictions in Jerusalem will trigger protests all over the world. to be clear I am not implying that it is just but people are not doing the same for a whole people group in Western China being forcefully converted. In the middle ages, people thought Jerusalem to be the center of the world, in many ways it still is.

Edited by Vrubel

@Vrubel I agree with you. And I would like to add that might makes right in that region. The strongest entity, whoever it is, goes ahead and dominates every other group. So it is never as easy as good guys vs bad guys, or perpetrators and victims. 

Posted (edited)

@Leo Gura

On 06/06/2021 at 9:04 AM, Leo Gura said:

Practice embracing the brutality of survival.

It's really not much different than a wolf hunting rabbits to feed his pups.

Democracy and Union ain't free. The majority of the west want Palestinians to rip down the nascent foundation of some sense of cohesive government to preserve their egoic Palestinian identity and narrative due to obscene naive romantiscism. This is such a complicated geopolitical issue.... Stage Green whining has run amok on social media over this latest violence.

I struggle to find a line between objective understanding and acceptance of the brutality of reality and an emotional empathetic response to human suffering.
How does one empathise objectively with a devil? Can a devil like me even empathise...?

Ohhh lawd, I need more tea!

If anyone has advice for my struggle and query of integrating the above, please throw it directly in my face as hard as you can so hopefully it might stick.

Edit. I'm not advocating for, or justify, abuse and subjugation of any one person or people. It is just clear that Palistine isn't going to get their way without causing further chaos. Democracy and union is not, and will never be free. It took ww1 and 2, not to mention all prior war, rape and slavery... for the European Union to emerge. 

Edited by SoothedByRain

We are all one spark, eyes full of wonder

“Take the lowest place, and you shall reach the highest.” 

“In the monastery of your heart, you have a temple where all Buddhas unite.” - Milarepa 

That man lost everyone he loved. 

And asked for God's graces in rebuilding his home and his life.  

Why would God create such a world?

Even when you don't have wars, you're going to die from horrific diseases.

There's so much suffering in nature, you have no idea. Ask a BBC World reporter who studies animals in nature.

We live in a crazy world.

@EnRoute to grow out of it. Wars and diseases won't be a problem once humanity has matured enough.

That also means going beyond technological advancement into ethics, communication, love and such.