Vision

SIBO protocols

15 posts in this topic

What are the most effective SIBO protocols out there for combined methane+hydrogen SIBO?

Any books or resources?

@Leo Gura

Thanks Leo. Do you have any other resources or books?

I remember you linking a page that shows many protocols on SIBO. I just can’t find it.

13 hours ago, Vision said:

I remember you linking a page that shows many protocols on SIBO. I just can’t find it.

Search the blog using google.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura

I just looked through til October last year. Can't find it. 

@Vision Now that I think twice, I posted it on the forum, not the blog. Hard to recall. Search the forum.

Healthy gut healthy you is a good book with protocols.

Thanks. Found it. For anyone here looking for it, search up “SIBO notes Google slides”

@Ora I’m reading that after I finish reading Eat Dirt, thanks. Any other resources?

@Leo Gura @Michael569

Have you tried eating tofu and/or tempeh? Can you tolerate it?

I’m considering incorporating them into my diet, I’m currently on a carnivore diet. I’m just worried about is the apparent negative effects of consuming soy, and that they contain prebiotics+probiotics which can feed the bacteria more.

I’ve only considered this because tofu and tempeh were the only sources of protein on the vegan SIBO Bi-Phasic diet, besides SIBO friendly protein powder (which I’m definitely not touching).

However, in the original SIBO Bi-Phasic diet, tofu and tempeh isn’t mentioned at all. It says to avoid all legumes. 

Do tofu and tempeh count as legumes since they are made out of soybeans, which is a legume? 

Both of the diets are made by the same person, Dr. Nirala Jacobi (though the vegan diet was made with a co-author)

Should I avoid tofu and tempeh just to be safe? I’m going hardcore with carnivore anyway, I don’t want to take any chances. 

@Vision soy is allowed on a low FODMAP diet for SIBO (if that is the way you'll take) so both are ok. That being said some people react to soy even to fermented soy like tofu so best to try it and see how it goes. 

I eat tofu regularly and tempeh occasionally, they ar both great protein and calcium source, easily digestible 

12 minutes ago, Vision said:

SIBO Bi-Phasic diet

I don't have experience with this diet but looking it up it looks very very similar to Low-FODMAP with some minor differences. Seems a bit more restrictive. Some legumes are allowed on FODMAP, I'm not convinced they have to be cut 100% unless the person can't tolerate any. 

The evidence on SIBO shows the most promising results with low FODMAP diet. Noth else has been researched to any significant degree (does not mean other diets don't work) 

edit: if you are going 100% carnivore then tempeh and tofu are out of the table I assume anyway? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569

12 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

if you are going 100% carnivore then tempeh and tofu are out of the table I assume anyway? 

Yeah. If I incorporate tofu and tempeh into my diet then my diet will no longer be carnivore. But I was thinking about bringing them in just for some variety but I don’t care about variety in this case if it comes with even just a bit of risk. 

Are there any benefits that tofu and tempeh give that a carnivore diet doesn’t? 

What benefits does soy have?

31 minutes ago, Vision said:

Have you tried eating tofu and/or tempeh?

I've never really eaten soy. Mostly just soy sauce.

1 minute ago, Vision said:

Are there any benefits that tofu and tempeh give that a carnivore diet doesn’t? 

I'd be looking at the carnivore diet as an acute elimination diet, not as a beneficial diet, there are very few (if any) benefits of only eating meat for a prolonged period of time. Do it as you are fixing the gut and once you are able, plants should come back slowly.  

fermented soy products have many preventative benefits from chronic conditions like prostate cancer but there are no immediate benefits per se in the SIBO protocol. 

Are you planning to use any antimicrobials? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Soy cappuchino...................................are you fucking kiddin me?

10 hours ago, Michael569 said:

I'd be looking at the carnivore diet as an acute elimination diet, not as a beneficial diet, there are very few (if any) benefits of only eating meat for a prolonged period of time.

Yes. I’m not planning on staying carnivore permanently. It’s temporary. I just want to know if tofu or tempeh would provide any benefits in the context of having SIBO.

there are no immediate benefits per se in the SIBO protocol. 

Okay thanks.

Are you planning to use any antimicrobials? 

Yes. But I still need to do more research on what to get. I bought these:

8596AA96-F719-4B9A-992E-3D236E8AA147.jpegThe 5-HTP isn’t for SIBO btw. Apparently it can help malaise?