Max_V

Eating seafood

22 posts in this topic

After hearing a lot from Leo and others about the potential toxins in fish, it scared me off quite a bit in including it in my diet. 

The problem is, I’ve found my body to run the best on seafood and fish. So now I’m in a bit of a bind. How do I know what fish won’t contain heavy metals or other toxins and be the purest for me to consume? 

Thank you for the help 

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

https://www.fda.gov/food/metals-and-your-food/mercury-levels-commercial-fish-and-shellfish-1990-2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_in_fish

Rule of thumb: The larger the fish the more heavy metals it will have.

I wouldn't eat fish at all, especially if you plan to eat it weekly.

Mercury levels in fish are also on the rise in recent years. So things are getting worse every year.

There is no safe level of heavy metals in your brain/body, despite what the FDA/EPA might tell you.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Max_V hehe you will never get something pure. 

Are you looking to dig into the Mariana Trench? 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Leo Gura Even in wild caught fish?

I've found that eating salmon and other fish significantly helps with my brain fog. No idea how to replicate that effect, there's so much to explore. Also, how do you get easily absorbable omega 3 without fish or other seafood?

@Preety_India Hahah, you're not wrong. Perhaps I should

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

9 minutes ago, Max_V said:

@Leo Gura Even in wild caught fish?

Especially wild caught fish.

I've found that eating salmon and other fish significantly helps with my brain fog.

1 pound of salmon contains above the FDA/EPA daily limit of mercury toxicity. So technically every time you eat a pound of salmon you are poisoning yourself. And this according to the FDA, not Leo's standards. Leo's standards are much stricter.

But hey, it's your body and your life. Eat whatever you want. I don't care.

Also, how do you get easily absorbable omega 3 without fish or other seafood

Krill oil pills

I don't think you really need seafood or omega 3 supplementation if you have an otherwise well-rounded diet.

28 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

But hey, it's your body and your life. Eat whatever you want. I don't care.

I see, I will reconsider eating fish then. It's just that I want my mind to function properly, and there are so many factors to look at with nutrition and health, it overwhelms me. I've had ASD my whole life and so my mind gets overstimulated and bogged down really quickly, it's very frustrating not to be able to have the energy to work as much as I want to work on the things I love. 

I suppose getting my bloodwork done again and then seeing if I need to add something else into my diet or supplement is the next step.

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

@Max_V Keep in mind that people have different genetics which leads to significant differences in the detox pathways of heavy metals. If you have the right genes you might detox 90% of heavy metals naturally. If you have the wrong genes you might detox only 20%.

You can actually get your DNA tested for various methylation genes.

My methylation genes are not the best, so I have to be more careful.

Don't underestimate how big of a role genetics plays in diet and health questions. It is THE key factor.

43 minutes ago, Max_V said:

Also, how do you get easily absorbable omega 3 without fish or other seafood?

algal / algea oil too, besides krill oil.
algea oil isn't the "regular" plant omega-3, it has better absorption, as far as I read.

Miracle:    Impossible from an old understanding of reality, but possible from a new one.

@Leo Gura I'm not as well versed in researching as you, so if you could give me a pointer in the right direction that would be awesome. 

What would be the best methods to identify what diet fits my genetics?

27 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

You can actually get your DNA tested for various methylation genes.

Is there a way to test your DNA to get a sort of best 'profile' of what nutrition fits you best and what to avoid?

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

@peqkno Will look into those two oils. Thank you for the help!

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

11 minutes ago, Max_V said:

What would be the best methods to identify what diet fits my genetics?

Is there a way to test your DNA to get a sort of best 'profile' of what nutrition fits you best and what to avoid?

Not that I know of.

This problem is best solved from direct experience, not some lab guy telling you answers.

@Leo Gura I see. I will keep at it with the personal testing of different foods. Might also look into the DNA testing for the metals.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

3 hours ago, Max_V said:

After hearing a lot from Leo and others about the potential toxins in fish, it scared me off quite a bit in including it in my diet. 

The problem is, I’ve found my body to run the best on seafood and fish. So now I’m in a bit of a bind. How do I know what fish won’t contain heavy metals or other toxins and be the purest for me to consume? 

Thank you for the help

There are upsides and downsides. If you want to consume fish for protein, then you can get that from many other safe plant sources. If the reason are Omega 3 fats (ALA, EPA, DHA) then you may add more ground flax seeds and if you fancy add algal oil supplement to the combo, but that may not be necessary. 

If fish simply makes you feel more satiated, it may be that the diet needs some exptra protein which is where tofu, tempeh and things like red lentils may come in that are easy to make and can help you bulk protein intake. 

In terms of purity, nearly 100% of seafood is contaminated with something but so is fruits, vegetables and herbs. If we go down that road eventually you could not eat anything and the amount of mental distress the avoidance of all toxins causes can lead to pretty bad depression. If you want to avoid the biggest polluters, stay away from all carnivore fish and stick to sardines, mackerel and occasional salmon. Having salmon once a week won't kill you but yes the mercury is a concern. Eat it with a lot of vegetables as those may help bind and remove some of those contaminants. Don't deep-fry the fish and don't smoke it or barbecue it. If you fry it on pan use Extra Virgin Olive oil or just bake it for 10 minutes at around 160 degrees. A good way to do that is to have a huge baking tray, fill it with vegetables, some cut sweet potatoes to bake and just towards last 10 minutes add on the salmon. That way you have a super high fibre meal with some salmon that will help you minimise the absorption of those pollutants. 

Hope that helps 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 Amazing, thanks! I'd also suggest sardines as a smaller fish (thus less polluted) alternative.

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Krill oil pills

I don't think you really need seafood or omega 3 supplementation if you have an otherwise well-rounded diet.

I saw your supplement video and noticed you use the same brand "now orange box" on that video with the ones i use. My mother gave me some vitamin D pills because where i live there is little sunlight most of the year and some vitamin C. I wanted to ask, omega 3 pills, vitamin D pills and vitamin C pills, so these kind of supplements if they are high quality brands, do they cause side effects? So basically is it healthy and safe for you to consume them? I know direct experience is king but with some things you do not feel anything until years so i just want to safe, i feel like you know this stuff very well.

So if i do a doctor visit and he tells me that you might need vitamin D or C or more omega 3 etc, is it safe to get them from these pills? I am not replacing a good diet of course but omega3 is hard for me to get because i cannot really afford salmon (really expensive where i live) and for vitamin D there is no food to get it.

Edited by Karmadhi

6 hours ago, Peter Miklis said:

@Leo Gura Wow, I just watched one of those documentaries. What an absolute shitshow. Corruption at it's finest.

To be fair, most food production is corrupt. Meats, veggies, fruits, organics... they cut corners on everything possible.

5 hours ago, Karmadhi said:

I saw your supplement video and noticed you use the same brand "now orange box" on that video with the ones i use. My mother gave me some vitamin D pills because where i live there is little sunlight most of the year and some vitamin C. I wanted to ask, omega 3 pills, vitamin D pills and vitamin C pills, so these kind of supplements if they are high quality brands, do they cause side effects? So basically is it healthy and safe for you to consume them?

Why would it not be safe?

5 hours ago, Karmadhi said:

So if i do a doctor visit and he tells me that you might need vitamin D or C or more omega 3 etc, is it safe to get them from these pills?

Yes, of course.

1 hour ago, Peter Miklis said:

I agree. There's a good healthy source of fish near the place I live. It's like a small lake, or pond

Fish from small lakes and ponds are some of the most toxic fish possible. I would never eat a small pond fish. So toxic.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

To be fair, most food production is corrupt. Meats, veggies, fruits, organics... they cut corners on everything possible.

Why would it not be safe?

Yes, of course.

Fish from small lakes and ponds are some of the most toxic fish possible. I would never eat a small pond fish. So toxic.

Have you ever considered owning a small farm? It may not be directly relates to your values but quality food = base for consciousness work and what better way to ensure quality food than growing it yourself ( or people you hire) . Could also have your own livestock and be able to eat soy/corn free eggs : 0

Just some thoughts. 

🗣️🗯️ stand up "comedy",  Vanlife, personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

2 hours ago, mmKay said:

Have you ever considered owning a small farm?

I got better things to do than tend a farm.