Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Preety_India

Opinions on Human Cloning (controversial)

15 posts in this topic

This documentary focuses on the cloning efforts to resurrect the extinct wooly mammoth. At certain points in the documentary there's a bit of discussion on human cloning. 

Obama Administration had strictly banned any effort towards human cloning. Do you think human cloning is ethical? 

Whats your opinion on human cloning? Would that be equivalent to playing God and what could be the possible dangers of such an operation if carried out successfully. 

INTP loner... .shy girl.. The devil loves me a bit too much. 

Quick access to journal entries

I've failed to see any justifiable reasons as to why such a thing should even be attempted, given the enormous ethical problems it opens up and the corresponding lack of compelling arguments as to how it could in any way be beneficial to humanity.

De-extinction of other species also gives rise to ethical concerns, but at least there's an argument to made in favor of restoring something that was taken out of the world due to human activity (such as the dodo).

"The mind is inherently embodied.
Thought is mostly unconscious.
Abstract concepts are largely metaphorical." - George Lakoff

Posted (edited)

Just off the top of my head, a host of potential genetic disorders and health problems, as it's my understanding that cloned animals do not live as long as animals that were birthed. The first humans to be brought in to the world this way would be literal gineua pigs for experimental process whose long term effects on human health and well being wouldn't yet be known.

In addition, there's the potential for cloned people to be subject to dehumanization and discrimination (not at all a stretch consider the seemingly arbitrary reasons people have come up with for prejudice), and uncertain political rights (does a cloned person automatically gain the privileges of birth citizenship?). Would the company or organisation that invested resources in to the person they cloned try to claim that they 'owned' this person in some way?

There also the possiblity of emotional harm, and an existential crisis of identity caused from the knowledge that one is a Clone and 'different' from other people

Edited by DocWatts

Posted (edited)

Sure, but it doesn't seem like that much of a stretch to imagine that the knowledge that someone is a clone cause that person to struggle with Identity issues; issues that can be emotionally difficult or even traumatizing to deal with. 

And that's leaving aside the potential for Social Stigma or even outright prejudice which that person might face in this scenario.

Edited by DocWatts

What would an unquestionably ethical use of human cloning look like?

Can we just clone the organs that we need? 

So that we can live longer. 

@DocWatts actually a lot of things that we have today came from the past and would be considered unethical by today's standards. 

For examples the antibiotics and vaccines we have today were tested on animals in the cruelest ways in the beginning of 20th century. Some of these experiments were also done on humans. But the results helped the whole humanity although the way these results were obtained were unethical. 

Psychology experiments done in the past, like early 19th and 20th century would also be deemed unethical by today's standards but these experiments gave vital information into how the human mind worked. 

INTP loner... .shy girl.. The devil loves me a bit too much. 

Quick access to journal entries

Interesting question.  I would say if cloning was made safe, it could be where it is no different from being anyone else - I was made from a test tube haha - in vitro birth - and I don't feel too different.

It may be weird to look exactly like someone else.  Do identical twins feel weird?  As a triplet, I don't - but I am also not identical.

Do we need to clone people?  Maybe not at the moment - there are so many people already at the moment- if we want more people, we could remove/relax immigration laws - but that is a whole other discussion.

I guess it could get confusing - if there are 10 clones of 1 person and they all look the same and you see one of them at the grocery store - it is kinda like 10 identical people (like twins) - so you are like - "Hey Amy!"  and then they are like.. "that's my sister. I'm Samantha." "Oh, my bad!"

Or if they are 1 year apart in age - it would be weird to look at your older "sibling..?" to see what you will look like when you get that age and people may get confused if they see a younger/older version of you.

I don't really have a problem with it happening.  I think it will get experimented on anyway so - can give it a try.

No one will know you are a clone unless they have met your other clones.

Yes I can presume that the clones early on would get used and experimented on and companies would feel like they "own" them - could be a problem in the early stages.

Since clones are of the same person, the weird part is the identity - is my mom and dad the original person's mom and dad?  Or do I just have one parent and that is the person what I was cloned off of?  Do I consider myself a separate self from the original person?  Is the original person my sibling, my parent, or do we start using new terminology and just say, my clone parent, my clone child, my clone brother, clone sister, my clone, etc.

When asked about brothers/sisters - is it now in reference to how many fellow clones of the same original there are?  

Interesting stuff.

Who is financially responsible for the clone as a child?  Who is going to be the legal guardian?  The original clone?  What if the original clone is an 8 year old?  Is the 8 year old now taking care of a newborn that is a clone of themselves?  How does that feel to raise a baby that looks just like you?  Is that going to be weird and not work psychologically?

Is it going to be the parents of the original clone?  The company that created the original clone?  A family that adopts the clone?

I could see some wealthy person abuse the technology and make 10,000 clones of themselves - or even 1,000,000 clones of themselves, build a slave military, and take over the world.

We could have Eugenics of 1 person making copies of themselves because they think that their DNA is the best and needs to be duplicated over and over again.

It would kinda mess up biological diversity - so actually, cloning could be an extremely NET NEGATIVE.  There is value in having biological diversity.  It may make the clones a "superior race" for whatever reason.  Or maybe they would be inferior since there is no uniqueness and they are all the same.