Striving for more

should I spend 2K On a laptop ?

31 posts in this topic

Thanks guys for giving me a clearer perspective. 

It's just when I went into the windows store, she showed me these nuanced features you can use with 1 note & the pen, & I remembered being mesmerized at how useful it seemed. 

Also my Leo said many times to "not go cheap" with important investments, because it might break or not be sufficient. 

I think I will need to do photo & video editing & I like to use many many tabs at once often also, so I'm assuming any standard 16gb ram laptop is sufficient for that? 

I recently watched video of the new M1 Macbook Air, & then I see all the comments & then I feel a sense of Lack for not having one, I know that is a weak position to make decisions. 

I prefer to use windows so I would have to boot a windows to mac too. 

I find the overwhelm of choice in this modern day really tough though, there's like thousand laptops. 

but what is certain is I would use windows as I don't like macOS, but I'm open to using windows on a mac. 

Apparently they "Last longer" all though they are often overpriced. 

Yeah I will look into Lenovo thanks.

Edited by Striving for more

On 05/06/2021 at 0:28 AM, BlackMaze said:

Pay half and buy an even better desktop pc

That is an undebatable idea except that mobility & portability is essential for me atm. 

I can't be tied down to one place. (You can't take a desktop on a plane either). 

On 04/06/2021 at 9:44 PM, Dingo said:

3) I have amazing experience with Lenovo ideapad... I've had this laptop for over 6 years of daily use, regular travels and it still functions well. Be aware of the device's repairability and upgradability (iFixIt has good scores/forum), coz when a key on my keyboard started to misbehave 5 years in, I just ordered a new one and replaced it. I also upgraded from HDD to SDD, so my laptop has actually gotten better over time! I dont have good experience with HP.

4) touchscreen is an overkill gimmick in most cases, if you are not an artist. You can get Rocketbook for 50usd (or other "digital paper" products) and it will be better for digitalizing your note-writing and sketching.

@Dingo 6 years that's a lot! which Lenovo ideapad model was it specifically? 

Hm, what Nootropics do you recommend ... Alpha GPC? (My main barrier to Nootropics is that I don't know which brands to trust - (I'm not from US) )

On 04/06/2021 at 3:34 AM, Arthur said:

If you want a robust workstation I recommend Lenovo. They make high-quality laptops that are plenty powerful and not cheap. I don't think they have touch screens, drawing pens and other small features, but I guarantee they will outlast any cheap brands like Acer and HP by a long shot. A Dell or a Mac would be my second choice, and the rest of the brands shouldn't be seriously considered at all.

@Arthur You'd consider a Lenovo before a Mac , even M1 ? 

It would be silly to not go for an M1 MacBook or Mac at this point in time.  They're so much more powerful than anything else on the market by a HUGE margin.  

A $2K laptop is like having a powerful battle station thats more future proof than a cheaper laptop, so there's that.  Also, you can do virtually anything with a laptop at that price so it opens many doors.  Do it!  You can't take money with you when you die so why not.

@Striving for more For video editing you might need good graphics card so small, portable laptop might not be a good idea. It depends on the specific app.

I would choose Lenovo W series or a desktop computer.

I have a laptop which is connected to the docking station 100% of the time. I do not experience any portability benefits because of having a laptop.

Yeah I consider an M1 MacBook but I would mostly use windows, one note for note taking & one drive cloud . I'm also an android user. 

But I could also get an Ipad pro instead, because you can do stuff like video editing on the 16gb M1 version, easy to carry around too.

^ Main reason to buy an Ipad is I could pay in monthly instalments for 2/3 years. 

The problem with spending 1-2K all at once, is that I can't invest that in crypto, stocks & any other investment. It's a big oppurtunity cost. 

But obviously a laptop is so much better than having an Ipad, I also don't like IOS at all.  

Lenovo in-camera cannot make it. Please check the specs before committing. 

I wouldn't think twice about shelling out for a good computer. I spend most of my waking hours in front of one, so on a per-hour basis even a $2,000 computer that I used for 5 years, would be pennies per hour.

I agree with other comments about getting a PC instead of a laptop. Unless there is a specific reason why you actually need it to be portable. I had a laptop in uni and never took it to class, it didn't really ever leave my room. 

Also be aware of all the great distractions that a powerful computer can present, mostly in the form of gaming.

I've read through this thread, and I didn't see anyone ask the obvious question:

What are you going to use the laptop for?

Don't say, "To make millions."  Be specific. What features do you need on this magical, millionaire-making laptop that are worth $2k? EDIT: I re-read the thread and noticed you said "video editing" but I can do that on my 3-year-old iPhone at no additional cost.

Once you have that, come back to us, and we'll look for a laptop (or maybe an even better device) that you can get for less than $2k.

Personal example: My desktop is 6 years old, and for my purposes, it does everything I need. It was top of the line when I got it in 2015, and it was probably worth $2k at the time, but I struck a deal with the seller for $800. I can afford to get something new now for $2k, but I've thought about it, and a few hundred dollars in upgrades is what I would do if I decide to do anything. Moral of the story: Be wise with your money. Just because you can get something you want for $2k doesn't mean you should.

Edited by Nobody_Here

@Striving for more I would recommend you to invest more on assets like skill development, books, mentors, etc. because the goal is income first. Try borrowing a touch screen laptop from a friend. 

I had bought an iPad Pro for graphic design with my parents' money but when my designers could not stay in touch due to the pandemic, my ecommerce business came to a halt and with no income, I am paying the EMI for the iPad with my parents' money.

The reason why you should be very cheap in the beginning for spending on technology is because your main focus should be income. I would say before buying the laptop, borrow a laptop from a friend and start generating income first. It's not about abundance of spending but abundance of income. Income is the goal. If you can't borrow from a friend at least be sure that your LP generates enough income quickly to pay off the laptop's debt. 

"Becoming 'awake' involves seeing our own confusion more clearly"-Rumi