Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gregp

Western esotericism

5 posts in this topic

Having a bit of difficulty of getting a good overview of western esoterism and where this fits in , in the whole. I done some beginning research, but I hope someone can help me further.

I found out about Franz Bardon. This seemed a very pragmatic approach into magic and higher consciousness. No mind and concentration and other eastern things seem to be included in the system.

But today another experienced person says Bardon is missing the focus on the divine and when you do magic that is not in line with the divine it is black magic territory. Also Franz doesn't do real alchemistry he said. I do do some eastern alchemy (mixing energies) but probably something very different is meant with (western) alchemy.  Also he said a lot of mainstream occultism nowadays is not the real deal or even only roleplay.

I really want to make sure I don't do harm to my body and black magic is a real no no. What is alchemy? Which systems would be good for me too investigate?

Edited by Gregp

@Gregp I would suggest that before you ever devote yourself to any particular training, you get an overview of the most famous authorities in their field and their systems. It is important so that you can see the common points. Once you understand the basic mechanism and the fundamental rituals you can start practicing. Research the works of Aleister Crowley, Donald Kraig, Lon Milo Duquette, The Golden Dawn, Damien Echols, Lyam Thomas Christopher, Melita Donning, Stephen Skinner. And this is just cerimonial magic.

I Havent found any particular continuator of Bardon so it is difficult to draw comparisons, but for what i've read it has a solid system, although very strict ( from what i remember he demands you to get a cold shower every morning hahah).

Avoid the super old shit, atleast in the biginning.

@_Archangel_ Thanks. Bardon can be ok, don't know. But probably he is missing alchemy? For the rest I am not sure if what I said before about Bardon is true. It's from this person: https://www.amazon.com/Hermes-Paradigm-Book-One-Principles/dp/0980409926

I thought Crowley is black magic?

I thought Bardon would be good. Cause it also has eastern concentration nomind etc. And in combination with Mark Rasmus which is a taoist like me it could also be apart from magic a system to get toward  higher consciousness / non duality. https://www.amazon.nl/gp/product/1735771406?pf_rd_r=G99ZMSCYYYW9CJT85JD9&pf_rd_p=37def684-ef48-4787-aaf5-435eed447476&pd_rd_r=55288f4b-a40f-4d1c-a6dc-583537e57efd&pd_rd_w=cUCnp&pd_rd_wg=OA7iP&ref_=pd_gw_unk   . Just not sure how valid this approach would be. 

Not sure if it his time efficient too read all those books of all the names you mention. Its quite some work. But nice to have those names.

Edited by Gregp

@Gregp If an issue about someone is shared by A LOT of poeple then there might be some truth to it, so i don't know how many pople actually say that. But if you go here https://www.amazon.com/Initiation-into-Hermetics-Franz-Bardon/dp/1885928122/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=bardon&qid=1622711474&s=books&sr=1-4 you see that most reviews are positive.

If you refere to Black Magic as something that harm poeple, then no.
Lon Milo Duquette says about it:
" Crowley was bound by multiple magical oaths to devote all his energies—
intellectual, artistic, magical, and spiritual—toward the complete emancipation
of the human race. His entire magical career, indeed his entire life, was dedicated
to that purpose. He most certainly did not fit the above definition of a Black
Magician. But, as I said earlier, for those unwilling or unable to do a little
objective homework many of the magical operations Crowley chronicled in his
diaries and books may on the surface appear to be works of black magic."

I suggest you to read "The Magick of Aleister Crowley" by Lon Milo Duquette.

Most magicians implement Eastern approaches like meditation and concetration .

Nontheless, if you are hooked about something then go for it! Just don't pick up something random, but a work that has been proven to be effective by many practitioners. Other wise if you have doubts choose a more holistic approach.

@_Archangel_ Thanks. I am first going to read the book or a part  of the one who is critical towards Bardon. He says mainstream hermeticism is not the authentic western one. No idea if he has the good stuff or is just doing interesting. Lets see where I go from there. I guess I will have to read some stuff to get an overview.