fopylo

Has anyone read "Music Habits: The Mental Game Of Electronic Music Production"?

4 posts in this topic

I've took a break from this book since I feel like I need to implement more of it's content before I can continue. The author suggests to build first the habit and then build your skillset, and that setting the habit is way more important.
So the exercise he gave is to practice for 15 minutes everyday as long as you're creating something, doesn't need to be perfect. But I always get super anxious to approach this task. Always feeling the need to create something great, and this pressure causes me to procrastinate. Would like to hear your advice.

I've made another thread about it. I might be mentally masturbating but I need help

Just make stuff. Don't worry about the quality. You have too much story in your head about what you are doing and what it means. It means nothing. Just create it. Good works manifest when you stop giving a fuck. (partly)

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

I also think that gathering tools that help limit the amount of choices you have in creation are useful. I like the book the addiction formula for that. 

Sometimes we also need to take an inner look at ourselves. A great book for doing a deeper reflection of our selves as artists is The Artists Way. 

I go through ups and downs of writers block. I have found that there is not really writers block though. What you need to do is just create everyday without too much focus on the outcome. Get it to the point where the 15 minutes is simply enjoyable and you are flowing in the creativity and joy of the music. From there you naturally want to get better and improve. Follow your bliss and build structure around the bliss to flesh it out! 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

On 6/6/2021 at 0:23 AM, Thought Art said:

What you need to do is just create everyday without too much focus on the outcome. Get it to the point where the 15 minutes is simply enjoyable and you are flowing in the creativity and joy of the music. From there you naturally want to get better and improve. Follow your bliss and build structure around the bliss to flesh it out! 

@Thought Art

I am at the stage where I don't know whether I need a hard kick in the ass (which is neurotic), or I need a compassionate understanding and help to get the right frame of mind. This is making me nervous knowing that my only free time I'll have for a while is now for less than 3 months (like I said in other threads, I won't be free for 3.5 years because of military stuff which you have to go to in my country)