Gianna

Avoiding eye contact

9 posts in this topic

I noticed my sister avoids all eye contact. I then notice I too, have this tendency. Sometimes more than other times, I’m not sure the distinction. It’s not that I’m lying or anything. Maybe it’s a fear of intimacy issue? Idk what do you guys think? 

Mine is usually around family so I think it’s probably a connection thing. Ugh. So sad. Going to work on it! Thanks! 

From what I've gathered it's usually a sign of insecurity/hesitation, and fear of being vulnerable. There is something about eye contact that is very primal. It's important to integrate and be able to use eye contact, especially when you are trying to convey something. Whether it be emotional, persuasive, love, connection, friendship, etc.

Our eyes say so much that words do not.

I struggled with eye contact growing up all the way until I was about 24. I'll tell you from first hand experience learning to make good, appropriate eye contact was one of the biggest things in personal development I EVER did. It was so simple and practical, opened so many doors for me, in my relationships, work opportunities, and my sexual life.

You've got to push through those uncomfortable moments you'll face when practicing, then find your style of communication with your eyes.

It will literally feel alien to you for a bit, and then it will be natural. Your eyes will be "free flowing" and at ease. Instead of twitchy, neurotic, and uncomfortable.

hrhrhtewgfegege

I’ve learned through the I CHING that avoiding eye contact with someone who is completely taken over by the pain body is a beneficial thing to do. While at the same time asking that their higher self can come through. I remember my father not making eye contact with me when I was younger. Times when I was bad out of sorts and acting ugly. Recalling these times helped me realize the truth in this. Making eye contact with someone who is acting completely from the ego only feeds their ego. The I CHING says when someone’s pain body is in complete control they rob others of chi energy by making eye contact . I’m paraphrasing by using Echart Tolle’s word pain body but I think it communicates the idea clearer.

Edited by Zigzag Idiot

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

Its a practice thing, i used to walk the street and look at someone until he breaks the contact, at first i usually did it first ,now i can stare at someone without care most of the time ?

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

I used to aviod eye contact. A lot. I agree that it is an insecurity issue. I am more confident now, but still don't want to impose any inconveniences for those whom I look in their eyes. That is what happens if you stare long enough.

So like The Buddhist, I choose here The Middle Path. To look and when the moment calls for it, look away. Balanced. It also invokes inner intuition and brings Enlightenment closer.

So your question is highly important!

Thanks for letting me answer :)

Greg

Edited by Eternal Unity
Eye Contact Confidence

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

17 hours ago, Roy said:

find your style of communication with your eyes.

I love this!! How beautiful is this statement. It motivates me to start speaking with my eyes and not to be afraid of it. It’s just like any other form of communication! 

Also, it really helps hearing your story. Thank you greatly for sharing. 

@Zigzag Idiot
I know exactly what you mean by pain body. Ooo okay this is a good point. Eye contact with someone ruled by their pain body wouldn’t allow for connection anyway. So it may be best to avoid it in this sense all together. Interesting take! Thanks for sharing. 

@NoSelfSelf

How funny! Okay that’s good practice. I’m going to take this on. 

@Eternal Unity

Sure! I’m glad you relate and are sharing your experience and input. :) 

Edited by Gianna