herghly

Fasting for spiritual / health reasons mega thread?

33 posts in this topic

Could we create a fasting mega thread? 

ive started researching fasting for spiritual benefits. It’d be great to have a collection of peoples experiences here with prolonged fasting 

I am convinced that fasting is a serious protocol for removal of accumulated toxins in the body. It puts your liver's detoxing mechanism into overdrive. After my 36 hour fast, my anger issues went away, I felt much more calmer and thankful for everything. I used to get angry over the tiniest and stupidest things before the fast. There was a very noticeable physical difference, my head clearly felt "lighter" after the fast. Also, my heart rate doesn't speed up erratically anymore. If I got scared by something, my heart-rate doesn't just shoot up to 200BPM out of nowhere like it used to before. Everything overall feels much more calmer and stable now.

I have vomited during 2 of my fasts, one was intermittent 16/8 and the other was the 36 hour one I did.  I don't believe it was because of low electrolytes, I think I was overloading my liver with the amount of toxins it was dealing with and I basically ended up poisoning myself with excess toxins in the bloodstream, which all ended up being vomited up as bile. Is this a good thing? Kind of. I don't think it is necessary to vomit, I think I rushed myself, but the benefits have been life-changing so I'm glad I got it over with.

And also, of course, the more well known benefits, it is a great dopamine detox,  it induces autophagy, etc. You know the rest. Very clear spiritual and physical benefits all around. Definitely something everyone should do. Doesn't have to be 36 hour, I do intermittent 16/8 for maintenance. I don't think we are meant to be eating food 24/7 as most people do.

Edited by Osaid

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, 'This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful.' The moment you see it, the head stops running thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts running. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

Yeah, I'd definitely like to see a fasting mega thread. It's a very powerful tool.

@Osaid we aren’t designed to be eating many meals throughout the day. 

I’ve done multiple 72 hour fasts, and during those I experience moments of such clarity. I’m convinced it can be a tool for spiritual purification, and physical healing. 

I’d appreciate if someone can recommend good books / resources on spiritual prolonged fasts. The next fast I do will be at least seven days 

8 hours ago, herghly said:

I’ve done multiple 72 hour fasts, and during those I experience moments of such clarity. I’m convinced it can be a tool for spiritual purification, and physical healing. 

I’d appreciate if someone can recommend good books / resources on spiritual prolonged fasts. The next fast I do will be at least seven days 

Read about dry fasts. Last time I did 2 day fast, first day water, second day dry & the clarity after it ended was equivalent to my 4 day water fast.

I experienced Super high levels of focus after my 72hs fasting , the reason behind it are the Ketones levels in the blood wich peaks at the 72hs mark

Edited by Alex_R

38 minutes ago, Alex_R said:

I experienced Super high levels of focus after my 72hs fasting , the reason behind it are the Ketones levels in the blood wich peaks at the 72hs mark

I think the main reason is autophagy. Ketones definitely help too.

Fasting really is a super power. I don't know why more people don't do it

I'm bumping this thread.  Very curious to read about peoples experience with prolonged fasts 3+ and the spiritual, and health benefits you got

On 5/30/2021 at 6:48 PM, herghly said:

Hey Herghly,

What kind of fast so you do? Dry, water?

I do 2 dry 24 hr fasts in a month but planning to switch to waterv now.

Fasting is definitely good.

Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

Yeah I am realising that the tough way.

Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

On 5/30/2021 at 5:53 PM, Michal__ said:

Read about dry fasts. Last time I did 2 day fast, first day water, second day dry & the clarity after it ended was equivalent to my 4 day water fast.

Done multiple fasts before, but never a dry fast. Curious to try. 

Also, after each fast I do a saline water flush to clean out the gut, it's wonderful. Wonder if anyone else does it.

@Natasha  Have you researched dry fasts much? I've only researched a little, but the benefits don't outweigh the negatives for me

1 hour ago, herghly said:

@Natasha  Have you researched dry fasts much? I've only researched a little, but the benefits don't outweigh the negatives for me

I haven't. Will have to look both pros and cons up first. It does sound a bit extreme to go for days without even fluids.

3 hours ago, Natasha said:

I haven't. Will have to look both pros and cons up first. It does sound a bit extreme to go for days without even fluids.

The main thing is how fast it gets you into autophagy.

1 day dry fast is equivalent to 3 day water fast, autophagy-wise.

Most dry fasts are one to two days.

So if your goal is healing / to have more energy after the fast is over - this is the fastest way.

11 hours ago, Michal__ said:

So if your goal is healing / to have more energy after the fast is over - this is the fastest way.

Good to know. My goal is to live active, healthy, happy life past 100 yo. Fasting is one of the things centennials do on a regular basis. 

11 hours ago, Michal__ said:

How was your urine color on a dry fast? Are the kidneys something to be worried about on something like that? I am aware of metabolic water but I'm not sure on how effective it is in dealing with dehydration and kidney filtering. 

I have a feeling that your body becomes way more efficient at using water once you do it a lot, I have experienced something similar where I didn't feel thirsty all day. Have you experienced anything like that? It just seems like there is not much info on dry-fasting which is why I am asking you all these questions.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, 'This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful.' The moment you see it, the head stops running thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts running. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

11 hours ago, Osaid said:

How was your urine color on a dry fast? Are the kidneys something to be worried about on something like that? I am aware of metabolic water but I'm not sure on how effective it is in dealing with dehydration and kidney filtering. 

I have a feeling that your body becomes way more efficient at using water once you do it a lot, I have experienced something similar where I didn't feel thirsty all day. Have you experienced anything like that? It just seems like there is not much info on dry-fasting which is why I am asking you all these questions.

I had to use the bathroom maybe once & it wasn't that dark, if I remember correctly.

I found some interesting content for fasting and detox. You can fast easily and daily, this is called 16 hour fasting. You have your dinner at 6:00pm, after you wake up the next day you can have your breakfast at 11:00 am or 12:00 pm in the morning. I've tried it !! it's easy to do and also you really don't feel like you're fasting !! It is a good detox technique.

I've provided some video links, if you don't understand the language : turn on the english captions.