trenton

Authority and Rape

10 posts in this topic

Today I noticed a lot of connections and similarities between many different corrupt organizations.  Rape and other forms of sexual abuse is a broad problem that affects every religion, the military, corporations, prisons (police officers on inmates and inmates on inmates.), and entire governments.  Strikingly, there are psychological similarities to humans that cause animals to rape other animals.  One example is how seals rape penguins and let them live.  This is a show of power to make the penguins fearful.

In order to stop sexual abuse in we need to address this psychological mechanism that comes up when we have a lot of power.  We think that we can get away with whatever corrupt selfishness we want when others are powerless, and in most cases this is sadly true.  This even extends beyond rape and into abusive relationships which can include rape as well as other forms of abuse when one party (male or female) is too dominate.

How should a society and various organizations be structured in order to stop sexual abuse?  How can we ensure that those in power are held accountable given that we could be punished for trying to punish them?  What would you do if you were abused by someone in a position of authority?

That second question reminded me of how when I was child I was afraid to challenge corrupt adults for fear of punishment.  This is all the same thing.  We need to be extremely brave to call out drill sergeants, priests, politicians, police officers, and corporations for sexual abuse.  The "Me Too" movement is probably here because most people are too weak and ashamed to after something as terrible as rape happened to them.

The catch-22 we are dealing with is that we need anti-corruption, but those in power don't want anti-corruption because they are corrupt.  As a result whistle blowers are punished and demonized and those in power will mess you up through the legal system they control if you challenge them.

@trenton

On 5/29/2021 at 10:20 PM, trenton said:

How should a society and various organizations be structured in order to stop sexual abuse?  

Believe in, and practice, the Non-Aggression Principle as that which is morally good. Promote the importance of voluntary interaction as that which is morally good. Denounce all forms of involuntary interaction as coercion and immoral.

14 hours ago, justamirror said:

who says rape is bad??

From a higher level of consciousness you could realize evil is an illusion.  In this case condemning rape and the abuse of power is a valid survival strategy even though there is nothing transcendent.  You can call out anybody for selfishness and still realize that this is from the perspective of what is good for human survival.

I think if we want to reduce unnecessary suffering we would need more people to have the courage to speak out against their abusers.  This would create an environment in which enlightenment can more easily be achieved.  It is hard to maintain an enlightened level of consciousness while Nazis break the windows and kill our brothers and sisters.  The goal is to create an environment which is conducive to higher consciousness and this can be done by stopping a genocide for example.  In this case stopping the abuse of power and rape could prevent psychological trauma that would interfere with a person's ability to see that evil is an illusion.

On 07/06/2021 at 4:17 PM, justamirror said:

who says rape is bad??

Are you ok with me raping your granma ?

:o

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

I think it's easy to get lost in relativism when pursuing higher understanding. Yes, rape is wrong, so is sex with underaged people. Though, at the highest perspective that may be different and it may be relative and all Gods Love.. We are all here living and want to be safe and have a good time on earth. Rape destroys peoples minds, so does being molested. This is sad.

I think Shame and cultural stigma surrounding sex is a strangeloop and contributing factor to the problems of sexual abuse.

Sex is important to humans.

I assume with Me Too and other movements all around the world that humanity will continue to clean up its sexuality as it matures. 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

On 6/7/2021 at 10:17 AM, justamirror said:

who says rape is bad??

We said it is.

Edited by SgtPepper

This is a profoundly important topic.  Abuse power in general within organizations is one of the greatest issues with society.   

I've seen so much abuse of power in my life I don't even have the energy to fight it or even articulate it.  I'm just exhausted with it all.  

It's particularly insidious because it can so subtle, that those who are not victims of oppression in those environments do not notice.  And therefore see complaints from said victims as invalid.  To me it's a profound tragedy in many circumstances.  

@Heart of Space abuse of power is the root of all political issues.  The president abuses the military to commit war crimes.  The wealthy abuse money to avoid accountability.  The criminal justice system exploits the poor with unfair plea bargains and making it too costly to plea not guilty.  Lobbying is abused to maintain corrupt corporate policies.  And much much more.

Corruption makes all political issues worse including but not limited to border security (sexual abuse of migrant children by border gaurds), it makes modern slavery worse by not enforcing business transparency for illegal imports, and more.  If we want to solve various political issues, many of them boil down to corruption.

On a positive note, anti-corruption is the most bipartisan issue and many Trump supporters are in favor of imposing term limits as well as other anti-corruption measures.  This is where the most people can see eye to eye.

There are spiritual and psychedelic organizations that sexually abuse people when they are unable to fight back in their altered state.  Everybody is hurt because of this.

Any idea what it would take to stop this?

On 07/06/2021 at 10:17 AM, justamirror said:

who says rape is bad??

Rape is immoral because it violates a persons volition.

No person wants their volition violated.

If a person wants their volition violated, that is volitional, and thus not a violation of their volition.

Since no person wants their volition violated, any action that violates a person volition is an immoral action.

Rape violates a persons volition.

Therefore rape is immoral.