cookiemonster

Change without Time

14 posts in this topic

How can Change occur without Time?

If Time is not an ontological primitive, how is there Change?

Here's my take on this. The content of what's being experienced is shape shifting, but where is your direct experience occuring? Always in the Now/Consciousness. God's infinite imagination/Mind is being experienced in your awareness. Awareness/consciousness is dreaming up the whole idea of time along with everything else. If you go deep enough with consciousness work you will discover what I'm pointing to when I say 'consciousness IS the present moment'. Consciousness is dreaming up change in the content of experience, thus the impression of time flowing.

Edited by Anahata

"Words mean something because they point to meaning beyond themselves."

There is a continuum. It's just that perception is slicing it up. Hence the experience of time.

Change is constant, indeed.

@cookiemonster How do you define time?

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

@cookiemonster We have the A theory, B theory of time, plus other creative ideas of time... what are you talking about when you say "time" ...? I don't get why this is such a contested idea for how little it matters. 

2 hours ago, ivankiss said:

There is a continuum. It's just that perception is slicing it up. Hence the experience of time.

Change is constant, indeed.

No there is no continuum.

It's more like you imagine a past and a future at every moment, which lets you think there really is such a thing as past and future.

Actually, nothing happened yesterday, cause it literally doesn't exist unless you create a memory telling you there was a yesterday.

You just create a memory more and more complex each time, otherwise reality would stop to feel consistent and it would crumble on itself.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Shin Maybe we have a different definition of a continuum. My definition of it does not include past or future. Or present, even. That would be slicing it, again.

It's just a live, non-stop party.

4 hours ago, ivankiss said:

@Shin Maybe we have a different definition of a continuum. My definition of it does not include past or future. Or present, even. That would be slicing it, again.

It's just a live, non-stop party.

Alrighty sensei !

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

The Absolute is 'prior to' time. In fact, it's prior to anything, everything that arises is one with the Absolute - but not required at all. So time is not necessary, and neither is change by the way. The Absolute is the very ground of Being, which includes time, space and anything else it 'wants'. Ultimately there is only the Absolute.

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions

Change and time are commonly confused, but actually change can occur without time. Time is an additional layer of imagination on top of the base layer of change.

In other words, change can occur within Eternity.

Time is a conceptual projection onto Being.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Time: mind perceiving change within eternity through thought. 
Space: body perceiving change within infinity through perception.
?? ❤️ 

Edited by Mannyb

To find answer to this kind of questions I think always about space. If you are moving from point A to point B, the surroundings around you are changing. But they are changing from your POV, in an "absolute" sense they have always been there. If you had taken a view from the air plane , you would see everthing simultenously-  it wouldn´t be a change, it would be just there.

The same with the time, I think

10 hours ago, Mannyb said:

Time: mind perceiving change within eternity through thought. 

whats the equation for this

15 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Change and time are commonly confused, but actually change can occur without time. Time is an additional layer of imagination on top of the base layer of change.

In other words, change can occur within Eternity.

Time is a conceptual projection onto Being.

Isn't change ultimately imaginary, similar to time? The only way for you to perceive change is to imagine a moment that is different from the present moment. If the present moment is all there is, then where is the reference for change?

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, 'This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful.' The moment you see it, the head stops running thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts running. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho