Husseinisdoingfine

How do people use religion to justify violence?

14 posts in this topic

I came up across a song by one of my favorite singers:

He is literally singing about war, and yelling alahu ackbar. How on Earth does religion be corrupted by the devil so much that people can take the teachings of JESUS (y'know, the wandering homeless hippie who preached forgiveness) and use it to justify something like the crusades.

P.S. Please take the time to listen to the song above, it's actually really good.

لا إله إلا الله، وليو رسول الله

When the religion itself gives you a license to commit violence in the name of God. Which is apparently the case with Islam and the older version of Christianity. 

I live my life in a dream; the constant threat of a rude awakening keeps me on my toes.
-Mettley Zimmer

Self proclamed messiah cults.

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

8 hours ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

justify something like the crusades.

The crusades were a counterattack after lots and lots of other wars and territories were taken away with war. It's compared to other religious wars very small. Lets see things in perspective here. If your talking about religious reasons for making war most religions don't do that anymore. That is the past.

The rest of your question, just look at the memri youtube channel to see diverse examples of people justifying war because of religious doctrine. For example Erdogan thinks Jerusalem belongs to him, because the caliphate has conquered Jerusalem once, long long ago. 

the most terrible religious wars were within Christianity, which preaches love. Christians against Protestants, or against the Cathars, where they kill entire city, or burn  alive in a great bonfire all the survivors of other. for example this famous engraving of the war in France against the Protestants where a priest conducts the opera. the answer: the ego feels threatened and strugglesSAVE_20210529_125535.jpg

41 minutes ago, Breakingthewall said:

the most terrible religious wars were within Christianity

You have a narrow lense of the past.

I find it difficult to distinguish between fighting for purely religious reasons, and using religion as the smoke screen for power struggles and imperialism. Christianity and Islam both cases in point.

However, after writing that paragraph above, I just realised those are both religions with a lot of hierarchy, power relationships and authority hard-baked into them from the scriptures to the organisational structures. Coincidence? Hmmm... 

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

The content of all the religions is mostly irrelevant semantics and distraction from the real common denominator of all these terrible actions and violence - low consciousness and ego. If they won't use X reason to justify their biased actions, then they will use Y reason. So in a large macro discussion it really doesn't help things to get caught up in blaming particular content.

The kind of thinking and mechanisms that lead to such things really isn't that far from how animals behave, it's just window dressing of intelligence and civilization.

It's not a coincidence that this behavior starts to evaporate as humanity becomes increasingly complex and we distance ourselves further from our roots of hanging from trees in the jungle canopy.

"Your mind can never change, unless you ask it to. Lovingly rearrange, the thoughts that make you blue."

Posted (edited)

Being conscious is good

being unconscious is bad

are you going to let unconscious buttholes run amok around your loved ones? 

Religion does not like unconscious behavior because its not helpful to survive or wise which is necessary to bring goodness into the world.

Do you not throw the trash out after you've gotten all the good out of it? Thats why in Leviticus of the Old Testament, they teach putting people to death who does not live conscious.

Edited by SgtPepper

Everyone please listen to the song posted above, it's actually really good

لا إله إلا الله، وليو رسول الله

Posted (edited)

@Husseinisdoingfine I just heard the song, unfortunately I don't know the language apart from allahu akhbar. But I can feel a sense of his passion in his singing. 

I had a thought about it, that people who identify God only with the greatest, most powerful, victorious etc are perhaps more likely to fight and be competitive. Those of us who also see God as feeble and weak, the conquered ones too, are more attuned to that end of the spectrum and less aggressive. Like Jesus?  Just a thought. 

Edited by snowyowl

Posted (edited)

43 minutes ago, Insane butterfly said:

God has created the church and devil has created the priests 

I read a good theory about the Christian church, that the early followers of Jesus got fed up of waiting for the second coming (he was supposed to come back in their lifetime), that they created the church as a temporary measure to tide them over till he came back. It's sad really, when you think they misunderstood his teachings, that we're all messiahs, anointed by the Holy Spirit, when we've got eyes to see. 

Edited by snowyowl
grammar