Chi_

Sadhguru said to chew food 24 times in this video and this is what happened to me

16 posts in this topic

My sleep quota came down dramatically by 2 hours. On most days I could go well with 5 hours without feeling anything. 

I don't feel fatigued or low energy after eating, in fact my energy levels stay the same or might even increase right after eating.

My digestion feels so much at ease. From what I understand, the idea is to finish 50% of the digestion at the mouth region already before going down the digestive track.

So a large amount of energy is saved which otherwise would have gone into digesting it in the stomach / intestines. He also mentions about only eating 24 mouthfuls of food per meal.

I feel like this tip might help @Leo Gura a lot with his digestion issues.

Edited by Chi_

What is so special by the number 24? Why not 23 or 39? Or why not give a range of numbers? Why does does the outcome need to be determined by the number of times you chew and not by some other factor? Sometimes I just get so skeptical about him.

I've heard somebody else say this too. I think Thich Nhat Hanh, and he chews his food like 30 times or something. 

For him it's about mindfulness and being able to digest food better. It's interesting to see you've had those results. 

"You Create Magic" 

2 hours ago, fopylo said:

What is so special by the number 24? Why not 23 or 39? Or why not give a range of numbers? Why does does the outcome need to be determined by the number of times you chew and not by some other factor? Sometimes I just get so skeptical about him.

He says there is a reason for the number 24 but didn't want to mention it in that particular video. 

I personally don't chew exactly for 24 but mostly somewhere between 30-40, until the food really becomes like a paste. But this should come with awareness because some foods can be broken down much more easily ofcourse. 

He also however mentions about eating only 24 mouthfuls of food per meal as well, which is different from the chewing aspect.

Sure, you gotta be skeptical but also give it a try and see how you respond to it :)

Edited by Chi_

1 hour ago, Flowerfaeiry said:

I've heard somebody else say this too. I think Thich Nhat Hanh, and he chews his food like 30 times or something. 

For him it's about mindfulness and being able to digest food better. It's interesting to see you've had those results. 

Thank you for mentioning about him, didn't know before. I also personally chew like 30-40 times, not just 24. The idea is to finish like 50% of the digestion in the mouth region itself, before it goes down.

@Chi_ Thich Nhat Hanh is awesome. I really enjoyed his books Peace is Every Step as well as Anger.

"You Create Magic" 

I've known about proper chewing for years but that's a habit I still haven't made part of my brain yet. It mixes in saliva which helps the body not recognize the food as "foreign" so it can reduce allergies along with making it easier to digest. Thanks for the reminder!

15 hours ago, Flowerfaeiry said:

@Chi_ Thich Nhat Hanh is awesome. I really enjoyed his books Peace is Every Step as well as Anger.

Thank you!! ?

8 hours ago, sholomar said:

I've known about proper chewing for years but that's a habit I still haven't made part of my brain yet. It mixes in saliva which helps the body not recognize the food as "foreign" so it can reduce allergies along with making it easier to digest. Thanks for the reminder!

Never heard about that concept but it obviously makes perfect sense. Thank you for sharing!

I have observed sadghuru many times, often he does not have the answer to the questions, he just rambles with what he already knows until he finds an answer, mostly from yogic books and stories from Hindu scriptures he has read and heard over his lifetime. I do not consider him as wise and enlightened as most people portray him to be. He is quite young in his enlightening. Osho for example was on a more mastery level.

Forget most of his nonsense or these 'specific' numbers passed down from hindu scriptures, they confuse you more than they give you any truth. Chew as much as you feel the need adequate. If you want to know spiritually, more fundamentally. I suggest looking into the Tao Te Ching and Lao Tzu.

Most of these other modern and hindu/yogic teachings only complicate and confuse you further, the true nature is fundamentally simple.

@Chi_ did ur sleep reduce to 4 hours only.

Also apart from chewing do u eat only 2 times a day?

7 hours ago, Quantum Toad said:

I have observed sadghuru many times, often he does not have the answer to the questions, he just rambles with what he already knows until he finds an answer, mostly from yogic books and stories from Hindu scriptures he has read and heard over his lifetime. I do not consider him as wise and enlightened as most people portray him to be. He is quite young in his enlightening. Osho for example was on a more mastery level.

Forget most of his nonsense or these 'specific' numbers passed down from hindu scriptures, they confuse you more than they give you any truth. Chew as much as you feel the need adequate. If you want to know spiritually, more fundamentally. I suggest looking into the Tao Te Ching and Lao Tzu.

Most of these other modern and hindu/yogic teachings only complicate and confuse you further, the true nature is fundamentally simple.

It is perfectly fine to be skeptical about him and any Guru, which is why I decided to travel and stay at his ashram for half a year to know for myself. It's hard to fully judge from just videos.

6 hours ago, asifarahim said:

@Chi_ did ur sleep reduce to 4 hours only.

Also apart from chewing do u eat only 2 times a day?

It dropped to like 6 hours but sometimes I can do with 5 hours :)

I eat one main/big meal around noon and then a plate of fruits and juice for dinner. I also realized that emptying your bowels completely helps a lot when doing certain spiritual practices like Yoga, so I make sure my main meal of the past day is fully digested and eliminated before morning practices.

@fopylo you need to sex 22 virgins before you die, otherwise you won't go to heaven ...
that's the same logic and reasoning for me xD

damn, I just realized I have his book on my bookshelf waiting to read ... god works in mysterious way xD

Edited by OmniYoga

@Chi_ @Chi_if u do physically demanding thing then will your sleep quota increase

Edited by asifarahim