Mada_

Should I try martial arts, if I'm not planning to master it

8 posts in this topic

I have been thinking about starting Brazilian jiu jitsu lately. 

I think that it could be a cool way to move my body, and explore the sensation of interacting with another body. I really enjoy the sensation of pushing and shoving against another person (not even in a sexual way).

I'm worried I'm not going to stick with it, because of the time commitment, and that it is not something I plan on mastering. Hatha yoga for example, that is something I want to master as deeply as possible, I deeply resonate with the vision of yoga. 

Yet teachers like Ido Portal suggest exploring movement in every way possible, however this is clearly their area of mastery. Peter Ralston is also another example of someone who explores different disciplines of movement. 

Is it only worth it to ride a bike in the Tour De France? 

Just try things out. See how you like it. 

Edit: I did it as a kid/teenager, and it was a great experience.

Edited by BipolarGrowth

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

Go give it a try! Maybe few times and then contemplate whether it's something you like and find useful.

I tried it some years ago and liked it, but couldn't keep doing it due to a previous shoulder injury.

Go to basic course, usually last something like 8-12 weeks and training 1-3x week. It´s 90% of tehnique and warm up, you dont need  to spar much.

It´s a great sport.

Basic self defence is mandatory,sport is hard but fun with time,try no gi if you love more fast movements and agility if you are for more slow paced sport go gi...go humble yourself :)

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

You will eventually get good at it, even if you don't try. You may never becoming the top in the world if you're not obsessed with it like the ones that are to get to that point, but who cares... i learned BJJ to blue belt to be able to avoid take-downs, and learned kickboxing to be fierce. If i ever need to tap into that, i know i can mess someone up... it's a good feeling knowing i can protect myself and those i love to some level at least. 

Absolutely you should!!<3  but you seem to already know the answer to your question.

BJJ is a ton of fun. You'll learn basics on how to protect yourself, get in shape, meet new people, learn body mechanics and it's a really detailed art, making it highly interesting. 

Just try it out, don't worry about mastering it. You're bound to reap benefits no matter what. 

"You Create Magic"