spiritualryan

what would happen if someone got enlightened in a dream? (not in the waking state)

10 posts in this topic

lets say someone in the waking state goes to sleep, and they have a incredibly rare dream of being an advaita vedanta devotee. and in this dream they end up following the practices instructed and get enlightened, waking up to their true self as eternal consciousness. would this carry to the waking state?  is this possible? the question just hit me spontaneously in the middle of writing an essay, and now i need an answer :D

Edited by spiritualryan
fixed a sentence.

If they woke up to their true self they just woke up into another dream. Not to mention, the true self relative to a dream character is just consciousness, so the witnessing state or awareness behind the I am would be apparent, and would perhaps persist upon actually waking in their bed. If enlightenment apparently occurred then all ideas and concepts held as real, and the experience of being someone, would simply clear up, and what would be left is this, without anyone knowing what it is, which is already the case...

dont get enlightened, become aware that small, imperfect and temporary is more love than big, perfect and eternal 

Edited by Dodo

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

I can only speak for myself, but I started my journey weirdly by awakening my third eye almost right away.  It literally went through a very painful 6 month process of decalcifying (during which I had crazy storms of electricity and vibration in my head, tons of insomnia).  As it eventually matured though, my sleep started to get really wild, with mystical visions and entrance into other realms becoming a common experience.  Some of these felt like breakthroughs and had lasting effects in waking life--for example, my vision got super clear and kind of holographic in early January and has remained so permanently (like halfway between normal and Mushroom vision).  I have awoken at night several times to Kundalini surges happening through my spine.

It's hard to make sense of these, but based on the follow-on events, I think the January shift was crossing the A&P stage, as it was followed by a pretty solid dark night.  I have continued to vipassana since then and am still working my way through cycles of Re-Obs / Equanimity, still feel like I have a ways to go to cessation though.

What happened when you realized that Santa Claus was in fact your dad in disguise? God realizing for a fact that you as a human and everyone else = God in disguise, be it in a dream you have at night or this 'waking' dream, it leads to the same thing. Which is no thing but whatever God decide to do 'from there'.

Edited by Anahata

"Words mean something because they point to meaning beyond themselves."

God has a Will and God is infinite. So God's Will is what Will happen :P 

"Words mean something because they point to meaning beyond themselves."

You'd probably end up passing gas, or worse, nocturnal emissions.

Edited by sholomar

On 5/27/2021 at 11:45 PM, spiritualryan said:

lets say someone in the waking state goes to sleep, and they have a incredibly rare dream of being an advaita vedanta devotee. and in this dream they end up following the practices instructed and get enlightened, waking up to their true self as eternal consciousness. would this carry to the waking state?  is this possible? the question just hit me spontaneously in the middle of writing an essay, and now i need an answer :D

The waking state is itself also a dream as leo had said. so it wouldn't make any difference I guess

With aspects of waking, dreaming and deep sleep, each of these having possibility to be manifest in actual (what we call) waking, dreaming and sleep states, in my view, unless we can retain unbroken awareness with freedom through all states, we yield to stupor. Then of course we have the fourth state of Turiya & Turiyatita* (* when Turiya is permanent).

This has been explained at length by Swami Lakshmanjoo in his book ‘Shiva Sutras - The Supreme Awakening’.