kieranperez

Sam Harris Gets Richard Dawkins to Meditate

28 posts in this topic

@RMQualtrough Nope Harris took some drugs as a student and because of the mystic experience took the meditation path.

@Gregp Well it is still part of whatever identity he had carved for himself at the time. Quite a strong one at that (we see the prominemt speaker he has become).

I think he is a man in denial of what he really wants to think or explore. To think of religious shit or something would crush his entire identity. It is clear what ideas he wishes to explore when he interviews Spira etc. It's like vicarious thinking lmao.

Sam Harris has glimpses but is probably not even past stream entry.  I read Waking Up and wasn't impressed.  He falls into many of the traps of materialism (implicit beliefs in science / materialism).

But he has his purpose, just like Jordan Peterson.  Sam Harris is PERFECT for hardcore stage Orange people who are looking for something "more".  He is relatable enough to them to have credibility, yet encourages subjective exploration of consciousness.  With some luck, they will open their minds a little after hearing him speak, and as they explore they will eventually start growing out of Orange.

3 hours ago, RMQualtrough said:

Now he is a full-blown mystic

I would not call SH a mystc. He is in denial about mysticism.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I'm not a fan of either.

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

2 hours ago, Flyboy said:

But he has his purpose, just like Jordan Peterson.

Sam Harris is a necessary first step of the spirituality pipeline. I considered buying his book "Waking Up" when I was 18.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

On 5/26/2021 at 1:12 PM, kieranperez said:

Pretty damn funny. He might as well have tried convincing Trump why it's better to be honest than compulsively lie.

This is adorable. I love both of them so much. They've both had a profound impact on my life in the past.