Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
loub

A Man for All Seasons

2 posts in this topic

A beautiful older movie based on the story of Thomas More in 16th century England, who refused to publicly approve of King Henry the eighth divorcing his wife and remarrying. (spoiler alert) He held up his silence unwaveringly until they executed him.

The whole film is gleaming with integrity and there is an especially beautiful scene towards the end when his daughter begs him to just do as the king demands, he tells her: 'you hold your self in your hands like water. Now when you lie it is as if you opened your hands; and don't expect to find yourself easily again.'

I'm not sure if that movie fits in this section as it is not explicitly a spiritual teaching, but it is a very moving display of integrity.

I couldnt find a video of the scene I was referring to so here's another good one to give an impression:

It's on Netflix btw. Enjoy and feel free to discuss :)

As a counterpoint to this, there is an excellent miniseries with Mark Rylance called Wolf Hall(the books it's based on are good as well) that looks at the same events in reverse, with Cromwell being in the right and More being in the wrong.