Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RoninWolf

Antinatalism

1 post in this topic

Antinatalists hold that because birth is the cause of all suffering, not reproducing is the highest act of love and empathy for your would-be child. I held a strongly antinatalist view of reproduction until my first LSD trip last year. In this trip, I seen a girl who I recognized as being my daughter. I watched snippets of her whole life as she grew up into an intelligent and loving person. This left me feeling shaken and uncomfortable as it was such a dramatically antithetic theme to what I had believed. I've tried focusing on this in subsequent trips in order to wrap this up and come to some conclusion, but instead I am still extremely conflicted. Before this trip, I had spent 4 years deeply depressed with a suicide attempt under my belt from before I began self actualizing, This trip showed me that life is a gift, darknesss is light, and that this experience, this place, this thing, is the most profound beauty that exists. It gave me an entirely new perspective on life. Still though, even if we argue that life's joys make it worth its suffering (for those of us in first world countries etc anyway), the fact remains that a child does not choose to exist, reproduction is awful for the environment, and the world is already overpopulated. Breeding is a gamble with someone else's life to make a mini-me. Most people are horrible parents.