tatsumaru

Is the spiritual journey inherently painful?

6 posts in this topic

So I am wondering this.

Is the spiritual journey inherently painful, scary and dark or is it that way simply because we are attempting it in an environment that's not conducive or welcoming of spiritual evolution in any current way (e.g. religion, beliefs of separation, notions of craziness and normalcy, identity politics, disconnect from direct experience etc.)

For example if a baby was born in Shambhala (a legendary city where only enlightened beings live) and was brought up by enlightened beings in an enlightened society would that spiritual journey still be painful or would it be effortless and painless?

Any pain associated with the spiritual journey is inherently egoic. Since most of us still have egos, it is normally a dark night of the soul. The ego doesn't die easily. Once you see the ego for what it is, you will laugh at the joke you played on yourself. Ultimately, there never was a "you", and the pain was just a dream.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

1 hour ago, tatsumaru said:

So I am wondering this.

Is the spiritual journey inherently painful, scary and dark or is it that way simply because we are attempting it in an environment that's not conducive or welcoming of spiritual evolution in any current way (e.g. religion, beliefs of separation, notions of craziness and normalcy, identity politics, disconnect from direct experience etc.)

For example if a baby was born in Shambhala (a legendary city where only enlightened beings live) and was brought up by enlightened beings in an enlightened society would that spiritual journey still be painful or would it be effortless and painless?

It is for a lot of experiences for sure. But not always. I imagine it’s a lot easier and less scary if you didn’t have a family that was worried and freaked out about you and what was going on. I’d imagine if the doctors didn’t think you were going crazy would help. I’d imagine if people didn’t see trauma and emotions that are icky so judgementally or awkwardly inside themselves and in others, the journey would be easier less painful and not so lonely. 

10 hours ago, tatsumaru said:

So I am wondering this.

It's only painful if we resist it which most of us do. ?

What is pain for? Can you imagine the troubles you'd have in life if when you did something stupid to your body you didn't feel any sort of pain. Pain is guidance. Emotional suffering is guidance. It is Good. Once you get very sensitive to it, then there's no need to push it. The problem is that we are ignorant to the fact that suffering and pain is guidance. We must appreciate it and use it to focus on what we do want, to use our minds and bodies in the ways that they are intended. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@tatsumaru even if you didn’t pursue it you will still experience pain. The path to spirituality will hopefully free you from different types of pain like depression, anxieties, fear and etc.