Leo Gura

Religious / Spiritual Symbolism Mega-Thread

36 posts in this topic

I'd like to create a list of all the various kind of religious and spiritual symbolism that is found in cultures from around the world. I think it would be interesting to see the diversity and also the similarities. I'm especially interested in exotic or less well-known stuff.

If you post a pic, try to link also to some Wikipedia page or other source which explains the meaning of the symbol.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Santa Muerte

5alk77.jpg

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Oh, it would be nice if you could link to Wikipedia or some other source that explains the meaning behind the symbol.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Arguably my favorite of them all. The image of Satan as the fallen angel. That which was once one with the Godhead and separated himself. The fact that the devil is also an angel. 

https://bible.wikia.org/wiki/Satan

39A1DEDE-0BCF-4C45-81E6-FDBDF34F8284.jpeg

Edited by kieranperez

This is my favourite thread. So cute.

So this is the detailed explanation of the symbols.

It's a rare thing so I don't have much information on this. All I have is this.

La Santa Muerte or simply Santa Muerte or Santisima Muerte.

I follow this religion sometimes.

Also known as Nuestra Señora de la Santa Muerte(Spanish for Our Lady of the Holy Death),

5alonn.jpg

Meaning of above symbol in this link ... limited information.

http://curiouscurandera.blogspot.com/2015/10/the-symbols-of-santa-muerte.html?m=1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Muerte

The symbol of the bony lady above is sometimes represented this way 

The  symbol below is the symbol of protection offered by the lady Santa Muerte.

5alk77.jpg

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

9 hours ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Istanbul,_Hagia_Sophia,_Allah.jpg

It is good if you could provide meaning or what is written when its in other language.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

Don't know if this counts but I suppose you're all familiar with this: The Flammarion engraving

1024px-Flammarion.jpg

Some context:

The Flammarion engraving is a wood engraving by an unknown artist . . . It has been used as a metaphorical illustration of either the scientific or the mystical quests for knowledge.  - Wikipedia

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flammarion_engraving

This image always reminds me of how spiritual work helps you "break away" from the ordinary, from the known.

Edited by ItsNick

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.

Goethe about symbolism:

"That is true Symbolism in which the particular represents the universal, not as a dream or a shadow, but as a living, instantaneous revelation of the Inscrutable."

"Symbolism transforms the phenomenon into an idea, the idea into an image, in such a way that in the image the idea still remains unattainable and for ever effective, and, though it be expressed in all languages, yet remains inexpressible."

"It matters a great deal whether the poet is seeking the particular for the universal, or seeing the universal in the particular. The former process gives rise to allegory, in which the particular serves only as an instance or example of the universal; the latter, on the other hand, is the true nature of poetry, it gives expression to the particular without in any way thinking of, or referring to, the universal. And he who vividly grasps the particular will at the same time also grasp the universal, and will either not become aware of it at all, or will do so long afterwards."

(All from "Maximen und Reflexionen")

Arguably way more beautiful in German though:

„Das ist die wahre Symbolik, wo das Besondere das Allgemeinere repräsentiert, nicht als Traum und Schatten, sondern als lebendig-augenblickliche Offenbarung des Unerforschlichen.“

„Die Symbolik verwandelt die Erscheinung in Idee, die Idee in ein Bild, und so, daß die Idee im Bild immer unendlich wirksam und unerreichbar bleibt und, selbst in allen Sprachen ausgesprochen, doch unaussprechlich bliebe.“

"Es ist ein großer Unterschied, ob der Dichter zum Allgemeinen das Besondere sucht oder im Besondern das Allgemeine schaut. Aus jener Art entsteht Allegorie, wo das Besondere nur als Beispiel, als Exempel des Allgemeinen gilt; die letztere aber ist eigentlich die Natur der Poesie, sie spricht ein Besonderes aus, ohne ans Allgemeine zu denken oder darauf hinzuweisen. Wer nun dieses Besondere lebendig faßt, erhält zugleich das Allgemeine mit, ohne es gewahr zu werden, oder erst spät."

The Red and Black Star of the American Friends Service Committee (aka The Peace and Social Witness Star) of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) and the closest thing unprogrammed Conservative (Traditional), Liberal, and Nontheist Quakers (all of whom practice the symbolism of no symbolism) have to an (un)official symbol:

qs3.jpgAFSC_Logos.jpg

https://www.afsc.org/story/red-and-black-star

https://smudgyguide.net/quaker-star-badge/

Symbol: Nazar (often as an amulet, but also as paintings, art etc.)

From Wikipedia:

A nazar (from Arabic ‏نَظَر‎ Arabic pronunciation: [naðˤar], word deriving from Arabic), meaning sight, surveillance, attention, and other related concepts, is an eye-shaped amulet believed to protect against the evil eye. 

The evil eye (Turkish: Nezar, Greek: μάτι mati, "eye"; Hebrew: עַיִן הָרָע; Arabic: عين ayn; Persian: چشم cheshm) is a superstitious curse or legend, believed to be cast by a malevolent glare, usually given to a person when one is unaware. 

This symbol and its explanation has always reminded me of how awareness is the 'cure' for the devil. Especially in eastern countries, where you will see this a lot, I think it is a great reminder to stay attentive and mindful. Just looking at it has something mystical to it. Makes me wanna meditate and surrender.

nazar-amulet-meaning.jpg

Edited by EmptyVase