Spence94

Transition out of wage slavery/ Yoga and meditation teacher/ set up business abroad

8 posts in this topic

I want to design a life purpose around leading groups of people in yoga and meditation classes. I want to live a relatively simple life where I have time for practice, self actualization and learning. I see myself teaching rooms of upto 20 students around 10 times a week and maybe teaching some more involved courses throughout the year. 

My main concerns and problems:

· I don't see very many yoga or meditation teachers that have this number of students consistently turn upto their classes. Most teachers I know personally struggle to make ends meat.

·I currently work a full time job and am struggling to figure out how to maximize my limited freetime  and energy in the direction of actualizing this vision. The balance of theory and practice and taking the necessary steps to actually actualize teaching yoga and meditation classes.

· I live in a foreign country that has strict visa policies around foreigners, and while it's possible to set up your own business here, my visa is tied to my current fulltime job and making the transition to yoga and meditation classes seems extremely difficult both financially, in regards to visas and work permits and in regards to time and energy.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Spence94

@dflores321 You too. Thanks for dropping the comment. With vision, diligence and commitment, it can be done. Peace.

On 22/05/2021 at 8:58 PM, Spence94 said:

I want to design a life purpose around leading groups of people in yoga and meditation classes. I want to live a relatively simple life where I have time for practice, self actualization and learning. I see myself teaching rooms of upto 20 students around 10 times a week and maybe teaching some more involved courses throughout the year. 

Definitely possible to make this a reality. So many people these days looking for quality meditation teachers. Most people want to be guided and also like the community aspect of group sessions. So i'd say there is definitely a market for this.

I guess the first thing is, are you capable of teaching meditation? Do you have the necessary experience? Do you have a good grasp of the theoretical and practical aspects of a range of different techniques? Do you feel capable of answering questions from clients?

You have quite a clear vision, so just work backwards and figure out the steps that would be required for you to create this?

Think about how you gonna market these sessions? How are you going to find local clients? You've gotta get your service in front of lots of eye balls, and the right eye balls.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

The fastest route to change is counter-intuitive, it's getting really appreciative of where you are. Not falsely, not trying to convince yourself, but actually just starting to look for things to appreciate, no matter where they are, how small they are, or how off topic or far from your goal they may seem. Once your inner state of not being ok where you are is resolved, the steps we need to take to get to where we want are finally made available to us. I've experienced this in life, bought an old house and gutted it, did some work, but then years and years went by and I was living in a huge mess. After actually getting a rat infestation and becoming incredibly embarrassed and hitting rock bottom of being miserable about the entire situation I started appreciating everything I could find about the house. A few months later circumstances came together, big decisions were made, false assumptions were dropped (we had to do the work ourselves), and we hired out all the work and ended up with a house that was even better than anything we had dreamed of being possible. Payed all the work off quickly. There are more opportunities than you could ever take advantage of if you could, but you must find satisfaction now in order to see them. Your outer life is a reflection of your inner life, so you and your thoughts and beliefs are more powerful than you know. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Sounds great! World will need more quality spiritual practice teachers as there will be even more demand in the decades to come.

I don't know where you're at, but I assume you still have long way to fully embody that goal of yours.

I would start cutting that into pieces. I would start thinking about; what skills (social, psychological, spiritual) do I need to pull this off? What are the basic fundamental elements of a good meditation teacher? In which aspects of life I still need to work on and develop further? What about the logistical and financial side? Maybe I need to do more research?

After that I would start making a plan on how to acquire those skills and meet the requirements on every aspect. Being a respected meditation teacher is an ambitious goal (still definitely attainable), so to get the requirements in place, it might take quite a lot work. Getting some aspect on point might take years or decades of practice. That's why I would think about the requirements and start coming up with smaller visions and goals, or just one goal at a time. Think about a goal, a job or a way of living which also requires some of those skills, but in a smaller scale. Maybe something more conventional, but which would still be aligned with your values. Start pursuing that goal, and you will learn a lot and get closer to becoming fully ready to fulfill that beautiful vision, while having a sense of purpose all the time.

@Spence94 @dflores321 Consider working part-time on a project or job that will earn you cash more reliably than your Life Purpose (though it could also be related to it). For instance, I teach foreign languages and give guided tours in my city. It’s interesting and gives me peace of mind that I can survive. At the same time I write and explore my Life Purpose. 

@mandyjw Awesome, thanks, i'm realising this more and more as recently my visioning skills went up a level, inner game is key.

@DIDego Great , thanks for sharing.

@Snader Yes, this is great. I have an idea of the skills and  hard and soft infrastructure i need to develop. While i don't fully understand how to actualized the vision, im putting some faith in the fact that if i work hard towards developing the skills in the practice, marketing, proper communication and people skills and a wealth of experience in the practice and study of Yoga and meditation, as well as learning the local language here, then opportunities and the details of how to actualize it will open up, small chunk my way towards a big vision so to speak. I guess i need more acceptance of the now like @mandyjw said and to keep working hard to towards gaining the experience like @Space said and my outer world will hopefully reflect the inner growth i have developed. I'm 6 years into my spiritual jounrney, so i have a very long way to go, but everything in my heart and soul is telling me that this is what i am here to do.

@Advocate yes, you are right, next year i am going to look for a more part time job, live frugely for a while and devote more time to practice, study and developing the skills to create the opportunities to actualize the vision.

Thank you guys for your words and input, much appreicated! Peace and love.