sda

Leo Gura, are you God?

36 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, sda said:

3- God neither begets

God doesn't create, in your opinion? 

7 minutes ago, Tovius said:

Technically, God doesn’t create. God is Creation / the Big Bang / everything. This is that...

29 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

Let's say your first characteristic applies: God is one and only. That means that nothing can be separate from it, because if there was a separate thing, there would be two. Not one, but two. God vs whatever isn't God. So how can you put something which is one and only into a box of just four characteristics? By doing that you create a duality. That which these characteristics apply to (God) and that to which they don't apply to (Leo), thus having two things and not one. If God truly is one and only that would mean that ANY characteristic applies to it, doesn't it? Saying that God is yellow must be true, because if it wasn't, you had God and not God. You'd end up with two things. That's what non-duality is about.

There is a metaphor about trying to fill an ocean into a cup using nothing but a spoon. God is the ocean, your mind is the cup and your thoughts are the spoon. You are trying to fit God into your mind using your thoughts. You try to apply labels and names and characteristics to something which can't be labeled. God can't be fit into a box. God is everything inside the box, everything outside the box and even the box itself.

So these characteristics can be true, but they can't be the entire truth, because that would limit God to some finite form.

And all of this is just more thoughts. None of what I just said is actually true. It's just partial truths/relative truths. But non of it stands on it's own. That's what makes this so tricky. Anything you can say about God will be true and false, both and neither at the same time.

I haven't even had an experience of any kind of God, I'm just trying to show you that there are limits to your approach. Using logic and reason to understand God runs on the assumption that God must be reasonable or logical or at least knowable through logic and reason. But it's just an assumption. I don't understand anything about God, I was just interested in showing you that there are flaws in your line of thinking. That much I do understand.

So what is the set of criteria that I can use to tell whether @Leo Gura is God? I agree with you that I have so many flaws in my thinking but how can I tell whether Leo is God or not. 

14 minutes ago, SpiritualAwakening said:

He's definitely looking at it from a pre-rational position.

I am looking at it from a pre-rational position. That's agreed. So, how do I transcend that to rational?

I mean God doesn't give birth which makes him thus to have a son or daughter etch. I mean God does not have a son or daughter. 

" You will face many defeats in life, but never let yourself be defeated." Maya Angelou

Posted (edited)

49 minutes ago, sda said:

So what is the set of criteria that I can use to tell whether @Leo Gura is God? I agree with you that I have so many flaws in my thinking but how can I tell whether Leo is God or not. 

Here is a classic Zen story:

Scholar Tokusan--who was full of knowledge and opinions about the dharma--came to Ryutan and asked about Zen. At one point Ryutan re-filled his guest's teacup but did not stop pouring when the cup was full. Tea spilled out and ran over the table. "Stop! The cup is full!" said Tokusan.

"Exactly," said Master Ryutan. "You are like this cup; you are full of ideas. You come and ask for teaching, but your cup is full; I can't put anything in. Before I can teach you, you'll have to empty your cup."

You are already full of ideas about yourself, reality and God and all of that stuff. Leo always talks about deconstructing your mind. That is what this Zen story is talking about. You first have to deconstruct your basic beliefs and assumptions about reality. You've built your understanding of reality on a foundation of unconscious beliefs and false assumptions, which have been passed on to you by your family, your society, your teachers and so on. I was actually watching this video just earlier this day. This video is actually quiet fitting. What a coincidence haha!

You are asking for a set of criteria, but that isn't what you need. You'll just end up filling your cup with even more ocean water. (To bring it back to the metaphor with the cup, the ocean and the spoon). I'd recommend you to start emptying your cup before you try to understand what God is. That might even mean that you'll have to drop the idea of God entirely! You don't even know where you've gotten your ideas of God from. For all you know the devil himself may have given you these ideas and you wouldn't even know, because you didn't pick these ideas up consciously.

Years of social conditioning have gotten you where you are right now. The problem is that you don't know where all of your ideas come from. You've gotten them from people who got them from other people who got them from other people and so on. It's a complex and very sophisticated network of ideas (aka the collective ego). You don't know which of these ideas are true and which are false, because you've taken most of them for granted without questioning them even once.

That's why it's important to start deconstructing your belief systems. Truth and falsehood have gotten so entangled with each other that it's hard to tell one from the other. Things you hold as true might be false and things you think are false might actually be true! Reality isn't black and white and that's exactly why it can be so hard to tell these things apart.

I hope that this helps you a little.

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

Reminder to give yourself a compliment! ❤️

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, sda said:

@The0Self

I would love to correct my misunderstanding :)

"Leo Gura" isn't God, God is the apparition of Leo and sda and RMQualtrough and cats and dogs and trees and space and time all at once.

Leo is no more real than a thought. A thought which the thing he calls God is aware of.

Edited by RMQualtrough

1 hour ago, sda said:

I am looking at it from a pre-rational position. That's agreed. So, how do I transcend that to rational?

By using common sense, logic, reasoning, facts etc as a fundamental ground in your thinking and wipe away all belief altogether completely in doing so. Doubting your own views on reality which you see as truth and realizing that as much as you think a thing is true from a religious standpoint, the Christian, Jew, Muslim etc do so just as much as you. That your views on the matter are not more special than the other and that you're all actually working on the same ground. By seeing that you will be able to see just how relative your perception actually is and not Truth with a capital T. From there on more questioning can begin.

The Art of Knowing is Knowing the accumulation of knowledge lies within time, the discovery of Wisdom is attained out of the Mind.

~ https://www.instagram.com/spiritualabsolute ~

Watch his fucking videos. Especially "What is God?" If I was in Leo's shoes I wouldn't want to babysit all of the people who are too lazy to actually contemplate for themselves.

Enter their minds, and you’ll find the judges you’re so afraid of – and how judiciously they judge themselves.

- Marcus Aurelius

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, sda said:

So what is the set of criteria that I can use to tell whether @Leo Gura is God?

Right now none. Because all the criteria you will use is based on the knowledge you have absorbed from the past which have created your current perception. But I'd say the most important thing is to stop fixating on @Leo Gura with this matter and look at yourself. The work is about deconstructing your reality not @Leo Gura 's

Edited by SpiritualAwakening

The Art of Knowing is Knowing the accumulation of knowledge lies within time, the discovery of Wisdom is attained out of the Mind.

I just came back from watching his video:

You all guys are right. I will stop focusing on Leo and I will focus more on myself. Thanks for the help guys.

" You will face many defeats in life, but never let yourself be defeated." Maya Angelou

@sda :) You sound pretty open minded -- that's a blessing. Good luck!

27 minutes ago, The0Self said:

Good luck!

Thank you

4 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

Let's say your first characteristic applies: God is one and only. That means that nothing can be separate from it, because if there was a separate thing, there would be two. Not one, but two. God vs whatever isn't God. So how can you put something which is one and only into a box of just four characteristics? By doing that you create a duality. That which these characteristics apply to (God) and that to which they don't apply to (Leo), thus having two things and not one. If God truly is one and only that would mean that ANY characteristic applies to it, doesn't it? Saying that God is yellow must be true, because if it wasn't, you had God and not God. You'd end up with two things. That's what non-duality is about.

There is a metaphor about trying to fill an ocean into a cup using nothing but a spoon. God is the ocean, your mind is the cup and your thoughts are the spoon. You are trying to fit God into your mind using your thoughts. You try to apply labels and names and characteristics to something which can't be labeled. God can't be fit into a box. God is everything inside the box, everything outside the box and even the box itself.

So these characteristics can be true, but they can't be the entire truth, because that would limit God to some finite form.

And all of this is just more thoughts. None of what I just said is actually true. It's just partial truths/relative truths. But non of it stands on it's own. That's what makes this so tricky. Anything you can say about God will be true and false, both and neither at the same time.

I haven't even had an experience of any kind of God, I'm just trying to show you that there are limits to your approach. Using logic and reason to understand God runs on the assumption that God must be reasonable or logical or at least knowable through logic and reason. But it's just an assumption. I don't understand anything about God, I was just interested in showing you that there are flaws in your line of thinking. That much I do understand.

It is amazing you can understand this w/o having a God experience.  :x

Hakuna matata

2 hours ago, sda said:

I just came back from watching his video:

You all guys are right. I will stop focusing on Leo and I will focus more on myself. Thanks for the help guys.

You can do this, but you might lose "you" along the way xD. Good luck brother!

@sda You are God. And I am you.

"He who knows himself knows God." — St. Anthony

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

@sda Here's an old metaphor for you - ocean/water/God/infinite and waves/form/limited. Waves rise from and disappear back into ocean. What you perceive as 'people' and other forms are just manifestations of the infinite. You are a form/'wave', so is Leo, and everybody/everything else. Or take snowflakes as another example. Again, their form is unique for every single of them, yet they come from, disappear back into, and made of the same ESSENCE. We are all God in the same sense as waves and snowflakes are all water.