fopylo

Is this the ultimate goal for spiritual growth?

4 posts in this topic

Isn't it true? ?

No but for real, is the ultimate goal to eventually detach from everything? Because that way it makes more sense to me that you can become the most liberated person on earth.

If this post seems inappropriate then delete ? But still asking

Screenshot (76).png

It’s an RPG man. We can’t tell you how to build your character. And yes, a non-character is still a type of role ?

But more seriously, there are gifts in this life worth attaching to. There is not one perfect state, occurrence, or achievement. If you want to have no attachments, do so. Become fully enlightened. Transcend suffering. But just remember, once you leave the realm of suffering, you might find that you acted like a kid who wanted to grow up so, so badly and then later wishes he could return to the innocence, ignorance, and bliss of the “limited.”

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

@BipolarGrowth You know, I used to feel like that a few months ago when learning about all this spiritual stuff. I used to think that if I have way more understanding than 99.99% of the people, then it's as though I've "lost" the journey for discovering those things on my own at a slower pace. I had notions that it's like forcing myself to become "old" and skip on life and just reach to the end. After looking into it deeper and "upping" my awareness levels I see that this is EXACTLY what I need to pursue, and that there is no "too early" or "rushing it". Rather than skipping on life it feels more like going deeper in life. It feels more like slowing the time rather than accelerating it. And above all I can experience vastly what's happening in the moment.

I also used to think that enlightenment and spiritual work meant that at one point all the feelings I'll feel are joy, bliss and calmness, which sounded ok, but not really rich so there was some cognitive dissonance. I tried suppressing "negative" emotions.

But in general I feel like everyone goes through similar phases of understanding spirituality in more depth. In my current state my understanding is that spirituality means the pursuit of real freedom. Freedom from attachment, freedom to feel all emotions (even the "negative"), freedom to think without suppressing. But also freedom to move between my lower and higher self, consciousness and unconsciousness.

That's a good, and tricky question. It depends on what exactly you mean by detachment I think. Ideally I want to have a life and self that I've worked hard to make better. People and things I care about, etc. But at the same time I don't want to be attached in such a way that I'm afraid of losing those things or will be crushed when they inevitably all fall away. So in summary, caring deeply about things is good, and putting lots of work into things you value to make them better is good (self, career, relationships). Detachment to me means having a healthy perspective about it. Knowing, and accepting that everything you cherish will end. It will make you more grateful for what you have, and less fearful, but not dispassionate or uncaring. That's the kind of detachment you want to aim for in life I think.