Frogfucius

Sleeping On The Ground

11 posts in this topic

Humans have slept on a hard surface forever...mattress beds are only a relatively recent invention. Apparently, mattresses aren't good for the back, and lead to a lot of aches and unnatural adjustments. The hard surface of a floor is better for realigning the body into its correct position. I've read that people from primitive cultures suffer less from musculoskeletal problems (also probably because they don't sit as much as modern civilized people do) than people from modern cultures.

Anyone here routinely sleep on the floor or a solid surface? Has it made a difference in your life?

@Frogfucius  Hello there,

Yes I am sleeping on the hard surface, basically on the 5-10 mm mattress. What can  say about the experience, well its only about 2 months now so its hard to say that I experienced some huge benefits but there are certainly some small ones. First of all I get up in the morning easier, I don't know its just not very addicting to lie there and push snooze buttons. Secondly, Its cheaper :) u don't have to buy some expensive bed. Talking about the spine, if u sleep on your back then YES it is healthier but on the side I am not sure. This is an issue for me because I still cant sleep all night on the back and i change positions, just a hobbit. Lastly, for me this is the greatest benefits: when u lie on the hard surface for sleep its like meditation, I instantly become more aware of the surrounding and the ground, Idk I just like that feeling. So yeah those are pros from my perspective, hope that helps a bit :) 

I am sleeping on the floor for almost a year now. Occasionally I try sleeping in my bed but everytime I come to the conclusion that I like the floor more. I feel much more rested and somehow grounded with earth. My sleep quality has definitively improved.

I use a carped covered with a blanked as my 'bed'. I am also sleeping on my stomach which I find very comfortable. I don't even need a pillow. Laying on the back might be a bit more uncomfortable but its still okay.

7 hours ago, Frogfucius said:

Humans have slept on a hard surface forever...mattress beds are only a relatively recent invention. Apparently, mattresses aren't good for the back, and lead to a lot of aches and unnatural adjustments. The hard surface of a floor is better for realigning the body into its correct position. I've read that people from primitive cultures suffer less from musculoskeletal problems (also probably because they don't sit as much as modern civilized people do) than people from modern cultures.

Anyone here routinely sleep on the floor or a solid surface? Has it made a difference in your life?

I'll never give up my bed. I absolutely love nothing more. It's like my sanctuary. My comfort bubble where nothing can touch me.   Having said that I don't agree that the floor is better for the body. The floor is way too hard. My back needs some gentle but firm support. 

Wisdom is settling in and experiencing reality in the moment.

On 11/4/2016 at 11:02 AM, Vytas said:

@Frogfucius  Hello there,

Yes I am sleeping on the hard surface, basically on the 5-10 mm mattress. What can  say about the experience, well its only about 2 months now so its hard to say that I experienced some huge benefits but there are certainly some small ones. First of all I get up in the morning easier, I don't know its just not very addicting to lie there and push snooze buttons. Secondly, Its cheaper :) u don't have to buy some expensive bed. Talking about the spine, if u sleep on your back then YES it is healthier but on the side I am not sure. This is an issue for me because I still cant sleep all night on the back and i change positions, just a hobbit. Lastly, for me this is the greatest benefits: when u lie on the hard surface for sleep its like meditation, I instantly become more aware of the surrounding and the ground, Idk I just like that feeling. So yeah those are pros from my perspective, hope that helps a bit :) 

I can't sleep on my back at all. What should i do? 

Meditation is like polishing a brick to make a mirror. Philosophy is like a net to catch water. The buddah did not meditate. It's just how he sits. 

- Alan Watts 

@Pramit I might not be the best adviser in this situation but I might recommend a few things.

First: don't force it too much, just try to relax and let go of a thought 'its uncomfortable', although this wont help u too much as your body is too much adapted to sleeping in different position. As for me I was sleeping on the side for years so in this case what is most suitable would be to put an extra pillow against your cheeck ( like side to your head) therefore it will trick your mind into more relaxed state as you got used to feeling a pillow on the side of your head. Or put extra pillow below your knees, in case you were sleeping with bend legs, so again your body would feel more 'as usual'. Finally, u ll have to adapt step by step, like don;t force it too much just adapt gradually :) good luck, hope this helped 

Notice when you are very drunk or sick and your body always ends up and aims for the floor? Its nature calls, Grounding ourselves is very important. Every time i sleep on the floor or something close to the floor like low traditional Japanese style bedding ect.. i restore very well and have more vivid/vibrant dreams.

Here's a good video explains somethings about this.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

I tried for a few days to sleep on a tatami. I stopped because I was having discomfort and headache as well. I think that both of these happened because my body is not used to what is "healthy," so the discomfort is how my body is readapting itself to a more natural way. It's just like when I started to keep my spine erect. In the beginning, it was hell because I had accumulated tension of my entire life, but now that I have gotten used to it, it's wonderful!

One thing I am experimenting with is walking barefoot on the concrete. I have tried a couple of times walking with socks (so there's at least a layer of protection); they were great experiences because I felt much more mindful and there's this cool feeling of "groundedness" because I'm connecting to the Earth (even though the concrete is a layer). (Btw, my socks got ripped, so I don't really recommend doing that.) Anyway, my point is it was pretty uncomfortable but I can see how more natural and even healthier it is to walk barefoot.

@Frogfucius I have a friend who loves hard mattresses. He goes for this option rather than the floor because he likes to be elevated off the ground. Some people prefer comfort over what is really good for them and their body.