spiritualryan

i can't look for my true self, i can only BE my true self.

8 posts in this topic

countless times have i been confused by rupert spira when he says "be aware of being aware". not to discredit him, i was just taking the pointer wrong. i was looking all over my direct experience and couldn't find myself at all. absolutely no where. two days ago though, i read a quote by ramana  which is as follows,b897482717f798b0e9d19c12fb8c8096.jpg

it's impossible for me to look for myself. i can only BE myself.

"Just be" has been the most helpful pointer for me of late.  However, I would add one component to that instruction, which is: Just be, KNOWINGLY.  

That is, just be, and be aware that you are just being.  If you are just being but not doing it knowingly, it's possible you will get lost in thinking or lost in 'la la land'.  The key to properly just being, for me, has been to do it knowingly.  

This is the exact same practice as "being aware of being aware", though simpler to execute I find.

@spiritualryan 'looking for yourself' can be what you're being, but you're right. You're always being [how you are being], and it's effortless!  You can't 'not be [how you are being]'!  Being is literally the only thing you do;) 

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

3 hours ago, spiritualryan said:

countless times have i been confused by rupert spira when he says "be aware of being aware". not to discredit him, i was just taking the pointer wrong. i was looking all over my direct experience and couldn't find myself at all. absolutely no where. two days ago though, i read a quote by ramana  which is as follows,b897482717f798b0e9d19c12fb8c8096.jpg

??It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows.

Epictetus

Edited by James123

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

3 hours ago, spiritualryan said:

If you can be aware of Awareness you can still dis-identify and objectify it. Rupert talks about Big Self/GodMind, he doesn't really speak of true No Self/ Dis-embedding and collapsing Into Infinity. When No Self is Realized you won't be able to be aware of it or even experience it.  "Just be" can also be misleading. You can "just be" without any Realizations.  But to "just be" when there's absolutely no distinction between object and subject is the "goal"

God bless the seeking. In the seeking is where I am found. 

4 hours ago, Being Frank Yang said:

If you can be aware of Awareness you can still dis-identify and objectify it. Rupert talks about Big Self/GodMind, he doesn't really speak of true No Self/ Dis-embedding and collapsing Into Infinity. When No Self is Realized you won't be able to be aware of it or even experience it.  "Just be" can also be misleading. You can "just be" without any Realizations.  But to "just be" when there's absolutely no distinction between object and subject is the "goal"

But is it though. This is something I wanted to chat with you about because as I’ve let go and investigated and questioned and let go of that till “....”. The notion of “...” being a goal or the point or the reason or what “....” is about, it seems almost funny because for so long I and it seems almost all teachers hold onto this notion.

Its kinda radical and it’s also not since “...” remains as always aware of itself or not. 

This one threw me for a loop for almost a year since so much seemed wrapped up in this notion that finding and awakening and awakening others to “...” was the reason or the point of IT all.

Wondered if it’s ever arisen for you. 

8 hours ago, spiritualryan said:

As frank eluded to this can be very subtle. And at the same time it’s ultimately true. Be, what ever that is you.