intotheblack

Wisdom teeth removal

22 posts in this topic

I am going to have my wisdom teeth removed in a few months.. 

the ones on the bottom need to come out because they never came through properly because there isn’t space, so every 6 months or so they are giving me pain and sensitivity. But they also remove the top ones otherwise it would affect my bite.

I’m a little bit scared, the thought of pulling teeth out when they aren’t causing a huge problem is freaking me out, and also having a gap where they used to be will feel weird.

I heard that wisdom teeth aren’t necessary to be taken out and it’s more of a money making scheme.

anyway, the process will be done with local anaesthesia and that if I want they will offer me a Valium before the procedure is done.

What else can I do to make sure the whole thing goes smoothly and heals correctly? 

Does anaesthesia contain heavy metals? 
I’ve had it before some years ago.

they also offered me to have an additional treatment with blood platelets, where they remove some blood from my arm, and then add that to the wound to make it clot, and It’s supposed to increase healing.  It’s an extra €80 (health insurance covers the removal)  but I don’t know if this is necessary. 

Edited by intotheblack

@intotheblack I had all my wisdom teeth removed, and I got put general anaesthesia too. 

I'd say make sure you have someone there with you to help you get home. The anaesthesia really messed me up and I had to get helped home.

Also I don't think there is a lot to worry about with this procedure. I had 0 issues at least.

1 minute ago, Raptorsin7 said:

@intotheblack I had all my wisdom teeth removed, and I got put general anaesthesia too. 

I'd say make sure you have someone there with you to help you get home. The anaesthesia really messed me up and I had to get helped home.

Also I don't think there is a lot to worry about with this procedure. I had 0 issues at least.

So you were asleep? 
I won’t be asleep with mine will only have the mouth numbed. 
I think this is why I’m also a bit freaked, because I will be awake whilst it’s being done lol.  
He said it will only take about 30 minutes, because the teeth are through, so they’re easier to pull out directly. Which is why I only need a ‘local anaesthesia’ 

@intotheblackOh sorry, yeah i got put to sleep. What's the term for that, I thought it was general anaesthesia lol.

Oh yeah that sounds more intimidating. At the worst you can treat it like a hardcore meditation session or something. You get to experience something that really pushes your comfort zone. 

Can you get put to sleep?

Just now, Raptorsin7 said:

@intotheblackOh sorry, yeah i got put to sleep. What's the term for that, I thought it was general anaesthesia lol.

Oh yeah that sounds more intimidating. At the worst you can treat it like a hardcore meditation session or something. You get to experience something that really pushes your comfort zone. 

Can you get put to sleep?

Local anaesthesia - numbing only the area of the operation. 
general anaesthesia - being put to sleep so the whole body is numb 

I don’t think so, because it’s being done in the dentist not hospital and it’s a straightforward op. 

I'm sure I’ll be fine, I will try and meditate.

actually, when I was about 12 I got a tooth removed, and they gave me laughing gas. I had some crazy hallucinations that the dentist was singing to me. ?

1 minute ago, intotheblack said:

actually, when I was about 12 I got a tooth removed, and they gave me laughing gas. I had some crazy hallucinations that the dentist was singing to me. ?

Haha xD

Would you care to explain why there's pain every 6 months? Is it due to bacterial buildup from food getting stuck in there (I also have a wisdom tooth where food always gets stuck - I simply use a mini brush or grow out a nail to clean there everyday), is the tooth still growing - into the neighboring tooth? Does it bite the side of your mouth? Also, how old are you?

The thing with wisdom teeth removal, aside from the nerve damage and other possible effects caused by the anesthesia drugs, is that it changes your facial structure, making your jaw smaller and less attractive. You might regret overgoing the procedure in the future, so I'd only do it if it's absolutely necessary and there are no other solutions.

Edited by Village

@Village  the ones on the top are fine. The bottom ones aren’t fully through and have a bit of gum covering them, but they have been like that for years. Sometimes they hurt because of stuff getting trapped and the gums get inflamed.  I had braces as a kid before my wisdom teeth came through, so consequently when they did eventually come through they pushed my other teeth causing them to misalign again.  
I went to have a consultation about having invisilign done and was told that I will first need the wisdom teeth taken out. I’m 31. 
the surgeon told me having them removed wouldn’t do anything to my jaw or change my face shape.  He also said the nerve in my jaw was below the teeth so there was no risk of this being damaged.  
I’m still unsure whether to go through with it or not. 

@intotheblack I think a good default mindset is to avoid surgeries whenever necessary. But if it impacts your ability to get other procedures you do want then idk

3 hours ago, intotheblack said:

I heard that wisdom teeth aren’t necessary to be taken out and it’s more of a money making scheme.

I think to a degree this is true, in a lot of people they get taken away as a precaution but unless they are either squeezing the hole line of teeth together or being inflammaed all the time (which could be caused by improper hygiene) there shouldn't be an issue. 

If the inflammation and buildup is problem make sure you use the interdental brush as well as a brush to clean each tooth separately from the front and back and finally consider also getting a water pick. It is nearly impossible to clean teeth properly only using regular brush, sometimes more thorough hygiene needs to be done. 

You can also consider gargling with green tea (spit it out after) or sucking on a clove for some additional support against the inflammation. 

It's kinda like the appendix, sometimes they take it away as a precaution thinking it serves no purpose which it clearly does 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

55 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

I think to a degree this is true, in a lot of people they get taken away as a precaution but unless they are either squeezing the hole line of teeth together or being inflammaed all the time (which could be caused by improper hygiene) there shouldn't be an issue. 

If the inflammation and buildup is problem make sure you use the interdental brush as well as a brush to clean each tooth separately from the front and back and finally consider also getting a water pick. It is nearly impossible to clean teeth properly only using regular brush, sometimes more thorough hygiene needs to be done. 

You can also consider gargling with green tea (spit it out after) or sucking on a clove for some additional support against the inflammation. 

It's kinda like the appendix, sometimes they take it away as a precaution thinking it serves no purpose which it clearly does 

I use an electric toothbrush and floss. Don’t have any fillings. I also do oil pulling. Actually sometimes if I over clean the wisdom teeth that’s when they end up getting irritated, I found it’s better not to brush them too vigorously.  Also, hormones and stress affect my wisdom teeth. Most of the times I had bother with them was when I was going through a stressful time and had pms, that made them flare up.  So I don’t think it’s only down to them not being cleaned properly. 

Edited by intotheblack

I had mine out, no regrets. I did end up with a dry socket which really sucked, so really follow the instructions they give you, don't use straws, etc. Putting clove oil on it worked really well after I figured out what was going on. The prevention of that may be why the extra procedure is being pushed. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

I had my 8th tooth removed instead of filling it. I had only local anesthesia, it wasn't painful at all. It was less painful than filling. I do not regret it because my teeth were a little bit squeezed before and it definitely helped.

Just choose a good doctor.

Root cause documentary.

Puling out wisdom teeth can cause  systemic issues from bacteria buildup that can lead to a infection. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

When I was 6 years old I had an experience at dentist where the dentist's partner held me on the chair by force while the dentist removed a teeth out of my mouse. I cried and begged them to let me go but they wouldn't. That caused me to suffer from a serious dentophobia for a long time. I avoided dentist by all cost and when I really had to go fix something I was given nitrous oxide as well.

I avoided dentist till adult age until one of my tooth got infected and I had to go treat it. At that point I decided to bite the fucking bullet and go there like a motherfucking bad ass. I took total beast mode and went there as calm as zen and told them to do what's needed. I kinda wanted to try counter-intuitiveness in action.

That experience was a game changer. It didn't yet cure my phobia completely, but by doing that I decided I could as well start the process of fixing my teeth completely and after that start a yearly habit of going to dentist. So I did that and after 1,5 years and several operations my mouth was clean and totally functional, and man that felt good. During that process I got rid of the phobia completely and it's close to a pleasant experience for me to go to a dentist nowadays, knowing that it's all for my health. It felt -- and actually still feels -- weird afterwards how something could have been so horrific and trigger fear in me like nothing else, which now has no component of fear whatsoever.

What I would suggest is to accept the situation as it is and understand that it's all for your health and you are in hands of professionals who want the best for you. It feels bad now, but afterwards it feels amazing. Try letting that thought motivate you.

10 hours ago, intotheblack said:

Does anaesthesia contain heavy metals?

I asked my dentist and he said that none of what they use nowadays contain dangerous heavy metals, and haven't for years. Although I live in a fancy Scandinavian country where the regulations must be top-notch, but if I recall correctly, he was being pretty global about it.

I had my top wisdom teeth removed recently. It was a very simple and quick procedure. 

Local anesthesia takes about 5 minutes, another 5-10 minutes to extract them, and in 20 minutes you're at the door. It was painless, apart from the pinch you feel from the syringe. He actually showed me the teeth he pulled out. They had back spots so it was a good call to get it done. I brush every day, but these suckers are way in the back and hard to get at.

The anesthesia wears off in a couple of hours, and the bleeding will stop after 12 hours. In a few days, you will forget you did it all. The only inconvenience is sometimes I have food stuck in the hole where one of the teeth used to be.

"Beyond fear, destiny awaits" - Dune

17 hours ago, integral said:

Root cause documentary.

Puling out wisdom teeth can cause  systemic issues from bacteria buildup that can lead to a infection. 

Link doesn't work :|

@Username Looks like the documentary was censored/suppressed by the dental community, they got it removed from Netflix. 

"Root Cause" should be able to find it somewhere

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

Funny this thread got posted now, since I'm currently recovering from having my lower right one removed 4 days ago.

It went without pain with local anesthesia. I would keep the drugs to a minimum. I don't know if anesthesia is that bad but it ain't lettuce.

I lost my appetite afterwards which I saw as a sign from my body to want to fast so I did for 3 days. While relaxing and not doing anything challenging the whole time. Animals always fast when sick or injured so I think we should too. 

The road to God is paved with bliss.

Ive heard that removing your wisdom teeth and molars can mess up with your side profile and give your face a more "flat" look