soos_mite_ah

Why do I crave sweets after every meal?

12 posts in this topic

I don't have a habit of eating a lot of really sweet things. I never had the habit of eating dessert. But I always crave something sweet after a meal. It isn't overwhelming and I normally don't give into these cravings (mainly because I don't have anything super sweet in the house) but it is something that is rather annoying. 

So why does this happen and what can I do about it? 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

@dflores321 No not really 

My main source of carbs include fruits, vegetables, brown rice, and a couple slices of gluten free bread. I also eat noodle a few times a week but it's usually lentil pasta or something vegetable based. 

Could be a taste conditioning thing. I have the same. When I have every taste in my meal, sweet, sour, salty, umami I do not crave sweets afterward. But usually eating a piece of fruit or dark chocolate after my meal does the trick for me.

Could be that the portion size is not big enough so that you simply crave more calories at the end. 

You may also try eating something small and fairly calorically dense around 30 minutes before your main meal, causes something called CCK effect and may prevent subsequent hunger 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

7 hours ago, max duewel said:

Could be a taste conditioning thing. I have the same. When I have every taste in my meal, sweet, sour, salty, umami I do not crave sweets afterward. But usually eating a piece of fruit or dark chocolate after my meal does the trick for me.

Yeah that is a possibility. I do eat a little bit of fruit or dark chocolate as well. It doesn't take that much to satisfy the craving tbh.  

7 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Could be that the portion size is not big enough so that you simply crave more calories at the end. 

You may also try eating something small and fairly calorically dense around 30 minutes before your main meal, causes something called CCK effect and may prevent subsequent hunger 

That makes sense I'll check on that. 

I've noticed that I have more sweet cravings when I'm not getting enough protein in my diet. It's unintuitive, but you might find the same.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@outlandish Yeah that happened to me too. I noticed that when I get more fat and protein in my diet, I don't crave junk food period. 

But I have been getting a good amount of fat and protein in my diet recently so it's probably something else lol.

I guess it might be because carbohydrates give a feeling satiety quickly comparing to fats and proteins (to a lesser degree).

@soos_mite_ah  
Without knowing you much, the most likely answer is that you simply do not eat enough carbohydrates :)

Your body needs carbs to digest proteins. So there is a reason you crave carbs, your body wants to fix your meal composition. 
Brown rice and all that new age fancydancy stuff is also very digestive energy intensive. 

Try working out (running, skipping rope, etc.) and eat 30min later and see if that changes your appetite

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

I think its also because carbs give you that sugar high. There's actual chemicals that it causes the body to release that make you feel euphoric. But if your asking why we crave sweets on a subconscious level; after a 5 meo trip where I was living through extreme suffering, I had an insight that we are all just really alone in this world, and we crave comfort and security. That's why people usually have mommy or daddy issues, they seek comfort in this world. Well sugar acts as a temporary blanket for our feelings, smothering it in feel good chemicals. That's why they call it comfort food. It can temporarily stave off the feeling of lack or insecurity and loneliness.

Oh but practically maybe you have light candida so it makes you crave sugar. Maybe some anti candida type diet or supplements and spore biotics?

To lessen the blood sugar spike you can take apple cider vinegar and cinnamon which blunts the peaks, so you get less of a high and less of a crash.