Tech36363

Are Hare Krishna people doing the same thing?

17 posts in this topic

So many of you might have heard of Iskcon which are temples of Krishna. 

They follow something called as Krishna consciousness. What this means at least what i understand is that they will attain Golok (heaven) by chanting, praying and providing service to god krishna. 

My question is that : Are hare krishna people working towards the same goal as someone with non duality and god realization? 

They have to be gaining something spiritual right? I have seen them being totally concentrated and giving their all in devotion to krishna.  

If not non duality / god realization then what are they gaining? 

Just now, Tech36363 said:

My question is that : Are hare krishna people working towards the same goal as someone with non duality and god realization? 

Definitely.

Though their current understanding of that goal is more dualistic and less advanced than that of actualized.org followers.

I love Hare Krishna!

No it's like a cult.

It's mad worship. It's not dangerous but it's like living in an illusion..

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

5 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

No it's like a cult.

It's mad worship. It's not dangerous but it's like living in an illusion..

I'm sure many do it in a cultish and illusionary way. But not all. The danger of getting deluded is of course far greater with something like Hare Krishna compared to something like Zen Buddhism. But compared to most traditional Hinduism or Christianity, Hare Krishna is quite advanced and effective. 

7 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

it's like living in an illusion..

Deep surrender and devotion, to the point where you are effectively deep in illusion (from a non-dual perspective) can result in incredible non-dual growth (if done in the right way. Which is tricky to get right).

This is generally very underestimated on this forum.

@GreenWoods there are dangers to that kinda of devotion.

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

1 minute ago, GreenWoods said:

Deep surrender and devotion, to the point where you are effectively deep in illusion (from a non-dual perspective) can result in incredible non-dual growth (if done in the right way. Which is tricky to get right).

This is generally very underestimated on this forum.

Spot on. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

@Preety_India Yes there certainly are.

@BipolarGrowth You practice some kind of devotion to the Holy Spirit, right? My favourite religion is Hare Krishna and Hinduism, second is Christianity. These are the religions of the heart. Your posts on the paranormal were interesting to read. I basically never looked into christian mysticism, but maybe I should rethink that.

7 hours ago, GreenWoods said:

@Preety_India Yes there certainly are.

@BipolarGrowth You practice some kind of devotion to the Holy Spirit, right? My favourite religion is Hare Krishna and Hinduism, second is Christianity. These are the religions of the heart. Your posts on the paranormal were interesting to read. I basically never looked into christian mysticism, but maybe I should rethink that.

I practice devotion to many things at various times. The Holy Spirit has never been an object of devotion, but it is rather what comes to me when devotion appears to be most effective. The whole point of Bhakti practice is to open up the heart and use that as a force for spiritual transformation. I’m closest to Hinduism and Christianity as well. 

If you want to start with Christian Mysticism, try reading John chapter 14. It’s a great place to start. Aaron Abke has some good videos on YT about Christian mysticism too. 

Devotion doesn’t work well if something doesn’t speak to your heart though. There’s no use in trying to force devotion. It should be effortless almost imo. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

Mostly it's a proper cult.

I had a friend who joined them. It's not so good. His mind became steeped in their dogma to the point where I was worried about him.

Even if you happen to awaken using their methods, they will brainwash you.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I remember reading this cool biography of a Hare Krishna's Swami. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7013431-the-journey-home

It talks about his journey to India without money, his search for a guru, testing various paths and finally deciding on choosing the path of devotion. Inspirational, but didn't sell the idea of choosing that path to me, haha.

@Leo Gura you're correct. It's ironical that it is hinduism. The founder of iskcon made it into a cult like movement for the survival of the institution. People want something to be told to them. 

@GreenWoods @GreenWoods @Girzo

Whatever they do looks beautiful and feels good but they are trying to change everything according to them. I have bhagvad geeta from ISKCON and they have manipulated it to an extent where the only meaning of every verse is that pray to krishna. I mean if it is this simple why write entire book on it. 

23 minutes ago, Tech36363 said:

I have bhagvad geeta from ISKCON and they have manipulated it to an extent where the only meaning of every verse is that pray to krishna.

Haha, that sounds so stupid. Yeah, there are better schools, I wouldn't bother with studying Hare Krishna. You can do what they do as an addition to almost any yoga practice, no need to limit yourself to one weak-sauce technique of raising consciousness.

The book I recommended is cool, though. Not as cool as Om Swami's "If Truth be Told", but still cool.

Edited by Girzo

Devotion is a very powerful path westerners usually can’t relate to.

That said... STAY AWAY FROM HARE KRISHNAS. IT IS A CULT. All because you can have powerful experiences under a certain group or organization doesn’t mean it isn’t a cult. Members of organizations like Isis have genuine powerful spiritual and even satori like experiences and are in rapturous bliss states when they do what they do. 

Hare Krishnas are a cult and as far as I can tell, a deluded one by and large. The founder was clearly enlightened and clearly nuts. Some of those guys seemed to have something going on but there’s plenty of documentation regarding the abuses that have gone on in that organization. I highly recommend you stay away from them. 

When an asshole gets enlightened all you get is an enlightened asshole. Some guys with cults, and they are a cult.

you do or don't grow out of all cults (systems/pathways), including leo and actualized.org xD for whatever you decide to cultivate leads to the truth of YOU, not separate, above, or under, any, but beyond the appearance of things 

all cults are developed to evolve the victimized mind state, or expose the denial of such...

it all leads back to being enough, being the truth, faith, and evolution of your own soul essence, individuated 

Personally i have brainwashed, and re-washed my brain so many times, it's liberating just to know how powerful surrender and re-creation is, as nothing is ever lost 

Edited by DrewNows

On 5/17/2021 at 10:06 AM, BipolarGrowth said:

. The Holy Spirit has never been an object of devotion, but it is rather what comes to me when devotion appears to be most effective. 

Interesting!

On 5/17/2021 at 10:06 AM, BipolarGrowth said:

If you want to start with Christian Mysticism, try reading John chapter 14. 

I will!