Monkey Mind

[book] The Book Of Not Knowing - Peter Ralston

15 posts in this topic

"Several popular self-help training involve consciously exchanging one set of beliefs for another. For example, a person who lacks faith in himself might try to override his negative self-image by deliberately formulating a belief that he is intelligent and capable. If he can maintain this new perspective, he will begin to interpret events differently, and his more positive interpretations will support an increasingly positive view of himself. Although this king of work can have a positive effect, it does nothing to increase our understanding of the real nature of mind or the self."

I'm pretty sure that Ralston had a important impact in the actualization of Leo. 

Here you can find a few interviews by Leo to Ralston: https://vimeo.com/user53111568

It's a big and deep book but it's easy to follow, I really really reccomend it.

I wonder when does @Leo Gura publish this interview and if he has made other ones with different people.

Edited by bazera

@bazera It's part of a larger documentary as far as I know. I once embedded one of the interviews on one thread but Leo didn't want it posted and thus removed it, which is bizarre to me since Ralston has released them.

@future thank for sharing it is always helpful for other people to share our experience as Leo does that. Thank you again. 

I have almost finished reading this book and it is astonishing. Peter Ralston will make all of the mechanisms in your mind clear - all the emotions, all of your beliefs, all your reactions, your core assumptions about life, why you are unhappy, what your self-image is, etc. Not only that, but he will also give you guidelines for eliminating these and how to become enlightened. He gives great exercises for how you can create those experiences for yourself.

Everytime I read the book I am just so grateful that I have bought this book. You will have years of implementation to do. It will change your whole perspective on life.

Just reading this book once took me 1.5 months. It has about 600 pages and he advices reading the book at least once. So you will have reading material for at least three months and contemplation material for a lifetime.

Leo said that this is the number one book to read about Enlightenment.

Read it! It is worth the price and the time!

Youtube channel also.

Book is 17 dollars - very expensive. Why does enlightened being insist on taking so much money from me, is enlightenment reserved only for people in first world countries?

Edited by Alex K

15 hours ago, Alex K said:

Book is 17 dollars - very expensive. Why does enlightened being insist on taking so much money from me, is enlightenment reserved only for people in first world countries?

It is quite thick book, couple hundred pages I have heard, so for such a book nothing exceptionall and it probably holds information worth of thousands and thousands of dollars. I bet that if you are not living in first world countries you can still afford it.. start saving some money, take extra job if you think it is too much.

When it rains, it pours like hell.
-Insomnium

My blog: dragallur.wordpress.com

In the book Ralston talks about many topics Leo covers in his videos too. I bet Leo took quite a few information from him.

Here are just a few videos:

• a rant against culture
  • the mechanics of belief
  • what is god?
  • you're not happy because you don't really want to be
  • how to stop moralizing
  • grasping the illusory nature of thought
  • how your mind distorts reality
  • the enlightened self
  • how you lie
  • radial openmindedness
  • meditation on steroids
  • how to meditate deeper
  • how to become enlightened
  • understanding emotions

On 20/12/2016 at 8:31 PM, Alex K said:

Youtube channel also.

Insist on taking money from you ? What the fuck ?
The enlightened "part" of him doesn't do anything. The person/ego needs to live on and hence has the right to enjoy the fruit of his work because that's how the ego's operate down here. Seriously it's gift and we all should be grateful he even wrote it.

@Lynnel There are no rights in operations down here. And you're correct, I'm angry very angry as I've read free 20 pages of his 600 paged book on amazon and it is 60% scholar level water, 30% pride and 10% of usefullness. Why not writing that 10% as a 60 paged book for 4 bucks? Maybe OP came with just that idea. For that much offtopic I do not think everything is ok with his ego and is it a good sign for a teacher?

@Dragallur Everyone keeps talking about that thousands of dollars of courses and I just keep being ungrateful little jerk. All those people are just rip offs, don't tell me that I should fall for them if Ralston where not here. Much rather went to free of charge vipassanas each quarter in that case for example. And there are lots of great free psychoterapists books to learn basic Vows breaking.

Why so angry pal? Why do you hate all this being so hard? Why shouldn't it be hard? Why should you be so angry if it is so hard? It is what it is - people have egos which prohibit them from swiftly and easily teaching of stuff they've learnt for themselves. World is not perfect. Why gett angry at this guys for having culture opinion? Why marking them as having cultural opinion? Why going offtopic on the book review thread? Why fearing being rejected by going offtopic on the book review thread on a self development forum with high conscious individuals? Why thinking this facts entitle you to anything at all? Why fear rejection so much? Why pal?

Edited by Alex K

5 hours ago, Alex K said:

There are no rights in operations down here. And you're correct, I'm angry very angry as I've read free 20 pages of his 600 paged book on amazon and it is 60% scholar level water, 30% pride and 10% of usefullness. Why not writing that 10% as a 60 paged book for 4 bucks? Maybe OP came with just that idea. For that much offtopic I do not think everything is ok with his ego and is it a good sign for a teacher

It's 100 % usefull. If it doesn't make sense for you - and as we can see it doesn't - don't read it. Forget about it.  If you're angry after 20 pages just don't read it and that's it. Complaining it's not cheap is totaly pointless.