Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anon212

Lack of Worthiness?

7 posts in this topic

I have always wanted to be a teacher. I just love teaching. When I was younger I use to give biology grinds. Early in college I use to teach organic chemistry to my classmates. For the past few years I have been following Leo's work and many other teachers. Now I like to speak about spirituality, self-help and relationships. I don't doubt my physiological knowledge one bit and know that I can be a teacher in that field but I am not passionate about it. It seems quite boring compared to non-duality, spirituality etc... This shit is much more meaningful. 

Herein lies the problem. I always say to myself. Why should I teach when there are teachers out there at the calibre of Leo and Sadhguru? I have enough intelligence to recognise that I am nowhere near, not even in the same stratosphere with regards to understanding, nuance and teaching skills as these guys. So why should I teach when others are much more suitable? Maybe I have had 3 spiritual awakenings but someone else has had 50 and has a much deeper understanding of reality than I do. Maybe I have read 50 books on relationships but someone else has read 500 books. 

I don't know what I should do? I really want to fu*king teach but I look at myself and see all the problems, all the shadow work that needs to be done, all the reading, studying, inquiring, contemplating that I must do and so on... All the self-deception games that I play, self-biases and of course I probably have an innumerable amount of blind spots right now. At the same time, I feel much more advanced than everyone around me (in person). Can anyone advise me on this? Is this an issue of self-worth, or a legitimate concern? With college drawing to a close, I need to act now. But something is holding me back. I don't want to spit out the limitations of 'myself' into the world. I don't get it...

Edited by Anon212

Of course you aren't on the same level, these guys have been honing their craft for a decade or more.

Everyone starts somewhere. Sadhguru was just a dude working a regular job and riding motorcycles. Go watch some of Leo's videos from 8 years ago to see where you could start.

You don't have to start off with "What is the meaning of life" stuff. There are basic spiritual / non-dual concepts you can introduce.

To be a teacher, you only have to be slightly more advanced than your students. As you grow and learn, they'll grow with you.

The answer isn't to lock yourself in a room and do shadow work and study for 10 years. You might be more knowledgable, but knowledge is just a part of teaching. You need to do it to learn about communication, presentation, etc.

Sometimes we can teach by simply sharing our story....

This is advice I would like to follow. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Nobody starts out perfect or knows everything. Let go if trying to be perfect before trying to help others. You will learn as you teach if you are self-reflective. One thing you can work on is public speaking if you want to teach. You could contemplate areas you want to master, write in a journal about them, then create a lesson plan to teach others about it. Preparation is key. Watch Leo's early vids, he wasn't nearly as good as he is now. But he got better because he started where he was at.

Investing advice from your locally sourced playground finance guru. Started at the bottom now we here.

So Good You Can't Remember by Cal Newport 

Jokes aside, it's still great advice.

Edited by Logan