spiritualryan

there is no way self inquiry is THIS EASY

56 posts in this topic

At the risk of ruining your experience of the technique... At a certain point in self inquiry, you reach an impasse which cannot be crossed without (basically) a miracle that has nothing to do with you, and then it's recognized there isn't a you, or an I.

There is no I... So how the hell is finding (looking for) the I (self inquiry) going to be easy? It's fully dynamic.

who am i is the ultimate unanswerable question ... no matter how you try, no answer will be correct ... inquiry is a device to stop mind in its tracks

if you think it, then it is not you

in which case after a long time trying

you stop thinking, and ta da, that's you

7 hours ago, gettoefl said:

who am i is the ultimate unanswerable question ... no matter how you try, no answer will be correct ... inquiry is a device to stop mind in its tracks

It actually has nothing to do with stopping thinking/denying thoughts or whatever.

It's recognizing that thoughts just arise, and THAT which seems to claim them as MY thoughts, isn't even real.

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

7 hours ago, gettoefl said:

11 hours ago, The0Self said:

21 hours ago, VeganAwake said:

@gettoefl so each time you think you "lose yourself"? That's a shitty way to live.

Are you sure you have realized the Self? 

On 13/5/2021 at 4:26 PM, Mason Riggle said:

@Mason Riggle 

On 13/5/2021 at 4:17 PM, Leo Gura said:

Thinking/mind, is not the problem. Attachment/Identification with the mind, which is nothing more than an accumulation of  what has been gathered from outside( i.e., second hand "knowledge") is the problem. What has been gathered from outside can never be 'you". This identifying with what is not true (false knowledge), is the bondage and cause of suffering. There is something already present, boundless, non-attached (i.e.transcendent) of the body-mind-intellect (an accumulation of food and memory and/or past respectively). The Reality and ultimately what is referred to as Self, is not of time(i.e., mind/memory/past), or space  (i.e., body).

Edited by Guru Fat Bastard

20 minutes ago, Guru Fat Bastard said:

There is something already present, boundless, non-attached (i.e.transcendent) of the body-mind-intellect (an accumulation of food and memory and/or past respectively). The Reality and ultimately what is referred to as Self, is not of time(i.e., mind/memory/past), or space  (i.e., body).

Negative eric,

That's just what's been called spiritual ego hanging on by a very thick thread... and very persistent under the radar.

Only this identification thinks it's everything, otherwise known as the spiritual ego/god. 

Enlightenment hasn't occurred there. But spiritual ego will always argue otherwise of course.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

52 minutes ago, VeganAwake said:

Negative eric,

That's just what's been called spiritual ego hanging on by a very thick thread... and very persistent under the radar.

Only this identification thinks it's everything, otherwise known as the spiritual ego/god. 

Enlightenment hasn't occurred there. But spiritual ego will always argue otherwise of course.

Looks like what claims to be "no-self , has come to claim that it knows. :D

1 hour ago, Guru Fat Bastard said:

Without the identity of "person", who or what would you be?

Being person is just a thought as these sentences. Everything is identical because everything is nothing. Therefore there is no such a thing as thought or person. So you seem that way because you come with thinking which is ego or mind, identification and naming and labeling.  Because “you” “think”. However, so called mind can never comprehend no self, therefore enlightenment is the breaking point. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

2 hours ago, James123 said:

Being person is just a thought as these sentences. Everything is identical because everything is nothing. Therefore there is no such a thing as thought or person. So you seem that way because you come with thinking which is ego or mind, identification and naming and labeling.  Because “you” “think”. However, so called mind can never comprehend no self, therefore enlightenment is the breaking point. 

^^
And don’t forget@Guru Fat Bastard

time is among that which @James123

refers to as thought as well.

5 minutes ago, The0Self said:

^^
And don’t forget@Guru Fat Bastard

time is among that which @James123

refers to as thought as well.

Hence,

4 hours ago, Guru Fat Bastard said:

The Reality and ultimately what is referred to as Self, is not of time(i.e., mind/memory/past), or space  (i.e., body).

3 minutes ago, Guru Fat Bastard said:

Hence,

It’s more about the direct/cognitive event than the spiritual knowledge though. Which I’m sure is not news to you.

Edited by The0Self

4 minutes ago, The0Self said:

It’s more about the direct/cognitive event than the spiritual knowledge though. Which I’m sure is not news to you.

Right ..direct experience, which doesn't refer to the mind, and it's accumulation of "knowledge".

7 hours ago, Guru Fat Bastard said:

Looks like what claims to be "no-self , has come to claim that it knows. :D

Yes, and seems that way for the "I am".

On 5/13/2021 at 9:52 PM, spiritualryan said:

there is no way it's this easy... all it is, is to keep attention on the "i" thought and see what it refers to, yes? no way that's it... to realize i am god and to lose all my fears and unhappiness... it can't be that easy. i genuinely don't believe it. i love you ramana.

Self inquiry is extremely simple once you reach the end point but it's very confusing while you're doing it.  I find the most effective way to do self inquiry is to skip the questions (Who Am I") but simply dis-identify and objectify everything you can witness, look at, perceive, experience by noting every sensation as not self, including witness, observer, awareness and consciousness as not self until both the duality between subject and object vanish.  If everything in your field of experience is not self, then when, what and who are you ?  

But see without dissolving the center of solidity using Vipassana and abiding in Infinite Consciousness using Do-Nothing meditation, it's very difficult to take self inquiry to the end point.

See if you truly found your True Self of No Self, you won't be able to see or experience it at all,  yet it's that ___________ which manifest all of your Reality, just as an eye ball can never see itself but sees all else.  

You have to be nothing before you can be everything, so any solidity that's left in your being can still be looked at (or is mistaken to be the one that's looking), thus reinforcing and creating the duality between Witness and witnessed, the one asking the question and the answers.  

On 5/13/2021 at 9:59 PM, kinesin said:

@spiritualryan Why can't it be that easy?  Where is your surprise originating from?  Where is your struggle to believe in the easiness coming from? :P

I'm kidding, but also poking toward a greater truth, which is that no, it's not quite that easy.  You're definitely on the right path, but make no mistake it's a long path with many false peaks which later give way to further insight as you realise there's still much further to go.

The tricky part with self inquiry is that most people simply don't have the concentration power to "Observe the observer"/"Witness the witnessed" because they are still too solidified due to lack of penetration into sensations moment to moment with Vipassana. Or they haven't stabilized the "I AM/One MInd/Infinite COnsciousness" with DO-Nothing Meditation. To dis-identify from even Infinity you first have to identify and access it.

also many think they have reached the destination after reaching the silence of Awareness/I AM Everything or even the experience of a very nebulas sense of self (I AM NOTHING) are both  often confused with No Self/True Self, but if you can experience or look at it, you can still objectify it.  If you find yourself in the process of "looking, but can't seem to find it", that's still an experience that can be further deconstructed and objectified.  When EVERYTHING in your field of experience, every single god damn particle is experienced simultaneously, then you have objectified everything, leaving 0 room for the subject, hence what you've been looking for simply does not exist, is totally unlocatable .