Vision

Building Muscle = Ego?

93 posts in this topic

You start off trying to build big muscles than you get deep into weight training and genuinely want to see how far you can go. The place your coming from matters the most

2 hours ago, ilja said:

for strength. you feel differently when you have proper muscles, every physical activity is lighter and you have an overall feeling of satisfaction through your muscles.

That's a nice excuse to mask over the true reason's your doing it: to have a better self-image.

You can develop some strength without bulging muscles. And you can get a satisfied feeling with moderate exercise. You don't need to be pushing giant weights.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

13 hours ago, Michael569 said:

For a male, quality of health increases proportional to how much lean muscle tissue you have

This was the type of answer I was looking for. Is there any source from which I can learn more about this? 

I was also wondering if it increased longevity or life expectancy in any way like cardio does.

14 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Aim at acquiring muscle through natural means (calisthenics & bodyweight) combined with some iron work so that you also work on your agility, flexibility and overall mobility rather than being big and stiff

For sure. Seems like a lot of buff bodybuilders can’t even do pull-ups. Calisthenics requires a lot more engagement of stabiliser muscles. 

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Pretty much. Why would you want bulging muscles? Only to feed your self-esteem.

But exercise for health is not ego. But exercise for health will not give you bulging muscles. It will make you fit and lean.

What would you call exercise for health? Aerobic exercise? Anaerobic exercise? 

@Leo Gura

In my opinion the ideal physique is what Chris Heria has (a calisthenics athlete)

"Bulging muscles" is what someone like Arnold Schwarzenegger has. 

maxresdefault.jpg

@Leo Gura what’s wrong with trying to put on some muscle to improve your looks? It can help you be more attractive.

You’re not gonna get bulging muscles naturally by lifting some weights. Getting huge without steroids is a massive fucking slog 

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

to have a better self-image.

I'm as skinny as a twig ... the ladies would appreciate some muscle mass.

Edited by Yali

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Pretty much. Why would you want bulging muscles? Only to feed your self-esteem.

But exercise for health is not ego. But exercise for health will not give you bulging muscles. It will make you fit and lean.

I'm on the path of becoming mildly muscled. It has a lot of advantages such as passive caloric burning.

In Tate we trust

5 hours ago, Vision said:

@Leo Gura

In my opinion the ideal physique is what Chris Heria has (a calisthenics athlete)

maxresdefault.jpg

that's not the ideal physique.

Edited by ilja

7 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

That's a nice excuse to mask over the true reason's your doing it: to have a better self-image.

You can develop some strength without bulging muscles. And you can get a satisfied feeling with moderate exercise. You don't need to be pushing giant weights.

i don't know why you did not like it it was a genuine reason for me, no self bullshitting. i would have admitted if self-image were the reason.

it's a difference lifting with heavy weights compared to "fitness". but you would not know.

Edited by ilja

9 hours ago, Vision said:

This was the type of answer I was looking for. Is there any source from which I can learn more about this?

I don't have any particular resource but you can check the book I recommended when we spoke :)

9 hours ago, Vision said:

I was also wondering if it increased longevity or life expectancy in any way like cardio does.

Having some functional muscle does for sure, being huge is counterproductive but staying active and fit will prolong your life and quality of life for sure. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

10 hours ago, Vision said:

@Leo Gura

maxresdefault.jpg

The vast majority of men aren't able to obtain that naturally. Steroids doesn't have to mean you're Ronnie Coleman

Everything is ego, but I hope it's common sense that yearning to have a good physique is perfectly natural. Everyone wants to be attractive. People who neglect their body are the ones who have a problem (not talking necessarily about working out).

12 hours ago, Vision said:

@Leo Gura

maxresdefault.jpg

This is fake stuff that you will not sustain, and it is OBVIOUSLY done purely for the ego.

What do you think all those tattoos are? Ego

And that dude is on HGH and steroids to look that cut.

Basically you can assume that every professional gym rat is on steroids. It's just a scam to sell you wannabes a fantasy.

Even Joe Rogan is on HGH and God knows what other drugs. It's all fake shit. The whole industry is designed to prey on insecure men's egos.

Ego. Ego. Ego. Ego. Ego. That's what these people are posing for.

They sell you these poses because you think it will make girls like you. But the truth is, deep down you hate yourself and you suck with girls for much deeper reasons.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

49 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

This is fake stuff that you will not sustain, and it is OBVIOUSLY done purely for the ego.

What do you think all those tattoos are? Ego

And that dude is on HGH and steroids to look that cut.

Basically you can assume that every professional gym rat is on steroids. It's just a scam to sell you wannabes a fantasy.

Even Joe Rogan is on HGH and God knows what other drugs. It's all fake shit. The whole industry is designed to prey on insecure men's egos.

Ego. Ego. Ego. Ego. Ego. That's what these people are posing for.

They sell you these poses because you think it will make girls like you. But the truth is, deep down you hate yourself and you suck with girls for much deeper reasons.

I agree with everything you said but one thing - that he's on steroids and HGH.

This guy doesn't really have that much muscle mass. He's just lean. When you're lean, you look way bigger in a sense. You can look like this if you have decent genetics and work out for like 5 years consistently. How do I know? Because I've pretty much done that. 

Anyways, the whole fitness industry is cancer. Everyone is just trying to sell you something. They want to make you believe that you can get everything in your life with a fit body and sell you supplements that don't really work and "special" workout programs that are complete BS. And this guy Chris is the epitome of that.

Edited by vinc3nc

Its not all vanity. Its fun and addictive getting stronger over time and seeing performance gains. The only reason i would train was because it felt great. The muscle pain is very satisfying. Early stages of body building training you want to get stronger because its fun, its a game, the muscles are a bonus. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

My motivation for physical fitness is so I can be in the best condition to be a vessel for the highest Good. Our physical form is limited, being in top physical shape allows me to do more. That physique is just a bonus.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

This is far from fake, and it's very much possible to sustain with a healthy diet and moderate exercise. 

But I agree it's all ego nonetheless. 

What exactly is wrong with barbell squat and deadlift to keep posterior chain strong? These group of muscles are responsible for maintaining your ability to walk, run and do everyday human movement patterns, and hopefully keep you in good enough shape to not end up unable walk when you're elderly. 

There's a difference between pushing yourself to your genetic limit combined with steroids, i.e powerlifting/ strongman, vs squatting and deadlifting just enough weight to stress the body to maintain strength once a week (which is what I do, combined with endurance work)

Nothing wrong with becoming a monster as long as you can see past the ego doing this but then again without it you would probably lack the motivation to become a monster. You could create your avatar how you like it why not? As long as you understand how stupid you are when you flex your muscles to someone. It's not only about being big though. It's also about the health and the discipline you build by working out hard and how good it feels.