Arthur

I tried Keto

6 posts in this topic

I decided to experiment with the Keto diet after following Dr. Ekberg's advice on youtube. I'm not overweight or diabetic, so I wasn't expecting any life-changing results. Nonetheless, I've decided to experiment and share my results. Measuring calories is not my thing, so my Keto wasn't as strict. but I tried to limit the carbs as much as I could, and I felt like I hit the <10% marks most of the time.

My diet was pretty good to begin with - I eat lots of veggies, I don't consume wheat products and sugar in large amounts. I've mostly eaten vegan, with some exceptions. I did, however, consume lots of grains (mainly brown rice) and practically no saturated fats.

The first week of Keto was challenging, my body and the gut microbiome were adjusting to a new food composition. I experienced fatigues, weakness and headaches, I felt drowsy and weak. The glycogen stores in my muscles were depleted and physical exercising became difficult. Any fast or explosive motion became a struggle. 

Most of that faded away in the second week, and I started noticing some pretty cool benefits:

• I noticed my skin and hair health have improved. My hair became elastic and silky, and my skin felt very smooth.
  • My beard started growing at an increasing rate, also the patches and holes in my beard started to fix themself.
  • I experienced improved mental clarity and energy. I felt like a teenager.
  • Sleep quality improved.
  • Mood swings and ADHD has been reduced. My state became very peaceful throughout the day.
  • Waking up in the morning became a breeze. I usually felt very exhausted and dragged my time in the morning.
  • Food cravings subsided and my meals felt much more satiating. I became more sensitive to sugar and my taste became more refined.
  • I lost weight in the first two weeks, about 5-8 pounds.

My takeaway is that I've underestimated the importance of fats in the diet, and misunderstood the role of carbs. Fats are building blocks for the brain and hormones, while carbs provide the fuel for short bursts of mental or physical activity. The most healthy leafy green vegetables are low carb, which makes it easy to construct awesome meals full of micro and macronutrients.

I enjoy the steady and calm state of consciousness that Keto puts me in. The other benefit has been from an increase in saturated fats, which boosted up my hormones. I've been eating vegan and avoiding animal fats in fear of cholesterol, but this experience completely flipped my perspective on the matter. Lack of quality animal fats in my diet lowered my energy and overall mental/physical wellness without even noticing. I'm a proponent of plant-eating for ethical reasons, but I wish there was a way to get the same benefits.

"Beyond fear, destiny awaits" - Dune

2 hours ago, Arthur said:

I've been eating vegan and avoiding animal fats in fear of cholesterol,

Unless you know that you’re insulin resistant / metobolically unhealthy, I wouldn’t worry about cholesterol. From the research I’ve done, LDP-P is correlated but not casual to atherosclerosis. It much more depends on the health of the individual.

2 hours ago, Arthur said:

Lack of quality animal fats in my diet lowered my energy and overall mental/physical wellness without even noticing. I'm a proponent of plant-eating for ethical reasons, but I wish there was a way to get the same benefits.

If I were you I’d add the animals back in. And make sure you’re getting the highest quality there is, none of that factory farmed stuff. Just my opinion.

How is your gym performance now ? 

I really want to go keto but don't want to lose my progress at the gym

@HERO_ you're not gonna lose your progress but you might experience low energy levels during the first week or so which can translate to lower performance

Edited by JohnnyAb

Aurum is on point. Also the cholesterol is good for you.

I once did vegan for ethical reasons too, but you can realize just as many living things are hurt from veganism. 

Your fatigue is lack of electrolytes and calories. You need way more salt than you think you need. Try drinking a glass of chicken broth with like 2k of sodium. 

On 5/9/2021 at 1:45 PM, Arthur said:

Lack of quality animal fats in my diet lowered my energy and overall mental/physical wellness without even noticing. I'm a proponent of plant-eating for ethical reasons, but I wish there was a way to get the same benefits.

Maybe low energy is because you aren't fully fat adapted, or maybe not enough electrolytes, but try avocados if you haven't. I'm not even vegan but they are so full of fat and energy that it ends up fueling me for the entire day.

Also, you should look into intermittent fasting and see if you wanna add it to your diet.

You are what you currently desire. ❤️