sorrytoch

How to be more creative?

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has found solid ways to boost creativity/ the creative process. And found ways to increase what they get out of a flow state. 

If so let me know, would be much appreciated!

cheers

To me, everything has pattern even if it doesn't deserve a pattern. Ideas, things, people have stories, sort of the way how our brains work when dreaming. You can do the same thing when awake. People tend to compartmentalize our social world. Stop doing that and combine things with other things just because there's an emotional salient story to be explored or told.

For me, creativity need space. Creativity need an abundant space, free space. Free from toxic mind, free from belief what should be done to be good, and most of all free from fear. Creativity is a child mind, be childish in the way to think. Creativity need safe space to grow little by little, at the first you can learn basic technique and imitate people. But when creativity energy start blossom to your heart, free yourself from the 'herd creativity'. They say its creative stuff but it isn't really. And follow your own heart to express itself, show yourself with authentic voice. Voice of your soul. 

7 minutes ago, Manusia said:

For me, creativity need space. Creativity need an abundant space, free space. Free from toxic mind, free from belief what should be done to be good, and most of all free from fear. Creativity is a child mind, be childish in the way to think. Creativity need safe space to grow little by little, at the first you can learn basic technique and imitate people. But when creativity energy start blossom to your heart, free yourself from the 'herd creativity'. They say its creative stuff but it isn't really. And follow your own heart to express itself, show yourself with authentic voice. Voice of your soul. 

You said: "free from toxic mind." You are already placing limits on your ideas based on whether they are conducive to creativity or not, based on whether they are toxic or not. This undermines the whole point of creativity. Creativity is the freedom of the mind without the mind realizing that there weren't any constraints there to begin with. I would sometimes dream about an elephant balancing on the tip of a needle. In my conscious world, I ordinarily would never consider the idea. However, once I realized something is impossible, than I realized the limit to my own creativity. Dream the impossible dream.

Edited by Prolite
video

Yeah, without healthy mind, you limiting yourself with unconsciouss belief. Thats the context.

14 minutes ago, Manusia said:

Yeah, without healthy mind, you limiting yourself with unconsciouss belief. Thats the context.

No. The notion of "healthy mind" is a constraint of the conscious mind and thereby a limit of creativity itself that you have placed upon yourself. Many times, the best things of nature and of our human existence comes from great human suffering, such as human rights movements.

John F Kennedy: "we choose to go to the moon." -- because of the national security threat from Russia's space program.

"He (President Kennedy) infused the speech with a sense of urgency and destiny, and emphasized the freedom enjoyed by Americans to choose their destiny rather than have it chosen for them"

Edited by Prolite

Do not place limits on what is, and what isn't. Just realize what could be, whether possible or impossible:

To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go

To right the un-rightable wrong
To love pure and chaste from afar
To try when your arms are too weary
To reach the unreachable star

This is my quest,
To follow that star
No matter how hopeless,
No matter how far.

To fight for the right
Without question or pause,
To be willing to march
Into hell for a heavenly cause.

And I know if I'll only be true
To this glorious quest
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest

And the world will be better for this
And one man, sore and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage
To fight the unbeatable foe
To reach the unreachable star

Edited by Prolite

Flow states of creativity generally involve a 1) relaxed mind, 2) attention, 3) awareness and 4) expertise. A lot of people talk about unlimited creativity and not putting limits on ourselves.

Some limits for each category:

(1) My creativity will be limited if my mind is busy with escaping from a vicious dog chasing me. 

(2-3) My creativity will be limited if I'm drunk or half asleep.

(4) My creativity is limited in creating Spanish guitar songs since I can't play the guitar and I don't speak Spanish well. 

Part of creativity involves relaxing the mind, letting go of distractions and getting into a good mindset. Yet part of becoming more creative also comes from work and practice. If Mozart hadn't practiced piano and learned music theory, he couldn't have created his masterpieces. 

Some tips I got from a few sources:

Learn and master the art of asking questions

Acquire mainstream and niche sources for information. 

Create time for solitude to do some creative thinking.

Have projects you want to accomplish so that you get practice on being more creative.

@sorrytoch Depends in what context. 

As a visual artist myself, i've found the best way to boost my creativity is actually to be more creative! As in, create more stuff! 

I think we tend to think how can I have amazing original ideas straight off the bat. Thats not how it works. Amazing creative ideas come from producing lots of work and coming up with lots of ideas. Take any super creative person, artist, musician, business person etc - they produce a lot of average ideas and work, but out of that come the super creative stuff.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

Getting in touch with your intuition on a deep level (meditation and psychs obviously help, recommend more surrender styles for letting go) and being able to develop the ability to better see the connection between two seemingly unrelated things. For instance in music genres I might say "well why can't I incorporate these unique metal elements into a hip-hop song with my own twist on the whole thing?" Fuzing different styles of things may be one way you do it, a new original idea is almost waiting to be discovered through such a method. 

Letting go of over analysing things and putting yourself in that flow type state is massive; simply being so present, focused, in flow and loving can all help. Surrender the mind. Developing better empathy towards others also allows you to be better inspired by their stories and relate that back to your own experience. You could then use that to illustrate a fundamental aspect of the human condition in a powerful, almost psychedelic manner. Being as vulnerable as you ever possibly could, pushing past those comfortable boundaries you hold onto and being brave enough to face those parts of yourself and believe in your ideas with confidence and express such energy into your work with intensity. Introspect deeply. Being a lover of mastery and excellence are crucial as you won't fully awaken that creative energy without attaining a great level of skill first. Get inspired constantly by other creatives and merge those influences until your own style comes out the other side. Remember that creativity itself is ultimately a practice that you do habitually. That's all i got. 

The concept of 'idea sex' from James Altucher might be helpful. I still didn't do the routine. Maybe I will start one time.

@sorrytoch I am a visual artist, among other. I record copious amounts of art work and review while drawing so it gets into subconscious while im coming up with ideas on what to draw & everything else there

On 5/9/2021 at 8:31 PM, Manusia said:

That was beautiful. Thank you.

Each time we create, a new ‘lego block’ forms in our mind. The more you create the more blocks you get to play with.

Coming up with 20 poopy riffs on guitar fuels 1/10 of a great riff.

See new things you haven't seen before, take a different route home from work, rearrange your space, wear something colorful or different from your usual, do free-writes in your journal, meditate, spend time in nature, look at other people's creative works. Also, explore your PERSONAL creative process, because it's different for everyone. 

"You Create Magic" 

I like following that little tickle I call it. Sometimes I feel very creative while other times not so much. Not the biggest fan of forcing it but there are things we can do to nurture it.