Joshi3

Elon Musk has autism!

37 posts in this topic

From what I know and having a close family member with it, I think there is a huge gradient for autism and asperser's syndrome. Ranging from almost completely unnoticeable, to very apparent. 

Our culture has an unfortunate blanket attitude on these conditions though due to lack of exposure and education. That if they even just hear the label associated with someone, they unconsciously equate them with a person who is actually mentally retarded and cannot function in day to day life without medical assistance. Because they have something they aren't "normal", they are "other".

This does a huge disservice to people with autism and asperger's and makes their life even more difficult than it is. Facing unnecessary discrimination and social hardship. 

"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him."

Not surprising. He has a look that's exactly like Eckhart Tolle.

A lot of people speculated he might be autistic, doesn't really change how I perceive him. All this changes is that the label "autistic" or "Asperger's" is thrown onto him, otherwise he acts the exact same.

I think mild autism is kinda cool, it seems their social skills are exchanged for being really smart in certain areas. Their minds can work in fascinating ways.

"If you showed a caveman our technology, he would think it was magic. And if you showed a modern man magic, he would think it was technology." - Outlast (video game)

Posted (edited)

The INTJ personality type is miss diagnosed as autistic constantly. Its not autism, its just a personality type. 

Someone likes eating carrots, well they must have a "eating carrots disorder", the thought process that gives rise to western models is that simplistic. They see something and build a model around it, instead of looking for overarching patterns. 

Edited by integral

Posted (edited)

The smartest person that I know personally I believe with 100% certainty qualifies for an autism spectrum diagnosis. I've known this for quite a while as he is one of my closest friends since childhood, but it got strengthened even more when I read the relevant academic and clinical literature. 

When he was tested before joining the army, he scored the highest all year on the IQ test that they had to take. He participated in math and science championships at a national level multiple times. He is such a sweet person as well. We played music together in high school (same school as Alan Walker and Aurora Aksnes btw haha - flexxx B|).

When we dropped acid together (just me and him), we took a walk in the forest in early spring. It was sunny weather and not too cold, and at the peak we laid down under a tree. Then he put on Pink Floyd - "Shine on you crazy diamond pt.1 & 2". That was one of the most beautiful moments of my life. I was literally floating in the clouds, and I somehow knew all the lyrics of the song without ever having heard it before. The tree branches were curling up and flexing like fingers, so tranquil and peaceful.

Autism, as has already been said, is quite a broad spectrum, varying from severe disability to rather normal but somewhat quirky social style. The book I've read on mental disorders (not a fun word) always keeps reminding you about the limitations of the current diagnostic journals and their flaws, and they certainly let you hear it about autism as well. If there is one thing to take away from it, it's that people shouldn't be defined by fitting the criteria of a diagnosis.

Edited by Carl-Richard

To balance beauty and complexity so perfectly is a divine mystery.

Makes a lot of sense. I got the feeling he is overly cerebral and lacking in empathy.

Plenty of executives are sociopaths. You basically have to be sociopath to compete in the big business world.

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

What's missing?

But right now my head is in the clouds with a Capricorn male  currently ruling my heart. The Snake seduces the peacock, embodies Shiva and the Gods bow to it. ... ll ॐ ll.. INTP loner... और तुम नाचते गाते हुए मेरे कदमों में आ गिरेगी... Live a Roman.Die a Roman..... Nothing else but to enjoy  the rest of my dream 

Preety preety

Posted (edited)

24 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Makes a lot of sense. I got the feeling he is overly cerebral and lacking in empathy.

Plenty of executives are sociopaths. You basically have to be sociopath to compete in the big business world.

The weird thing about autism is that you're not technically unable to feel empathy like a sociopath, you're just unable to understand why you should feel empathy in certain situations, because you can't read social cues very well. It also has to do with deficits in understanding theory of mind on a pure cognitive level. So feeling vs. understanding.

Edited by Carl-Richard

6 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

understanding theory of mind

Whats the theory of mind?

But right now my head is in the clouds with a Capricorn male  currently ruling my heart. The Snake seduces the peacock, embodies Shiva and the Gods bow to it. ... ll ॐ ll.. INTP loner... और तुम नाचते गाते हुए मेरे कदमों में आ गिरेगी... Live a Roman.Die a Roman..... Nothing else but to enjoy  the rest of my dream 

Preety preety

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

Whats the theory of mind?

It has to do with understanding how other people have their own experience of the world and that there are limits to what a person can know based on what they've experienced. Small children develop theory of mind at around 4 years old, but older autistic children will struggle with the tasks shown here:

This is Sasha Baron Cohen's brother btw ;) (Borat)

Edited by Carl-Richard

39 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

The weird thing about autism is that you're not technically unable to feel empathy like a sociopath, you're just unable to understand why you should feel empathy in certain situations, because you can't read social cues very well. It also has to do with deficits in understanding theory of mind on a pure cognitive level. So feeling vs. understanding.

My ex-girlfriend has Aspergers. Yes, such people tend to be cold and socially clueless.

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

8 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

My ex-girlfriend has Aspergers. Yes, such people tend to be cold and socially clueless.

My friend group used to do a fair amount of roasting, which is an art form in itself, but my autistic friend would sometimes just be completely inappropriate about it, like calling one of the shorter dudes a midget out of the blue :ph34r:

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

but my autistic friend would sometimes just be completely inappropriate about it, like calling one of the shorter dudes a midget out of the blue :ph34r:

That's low key funny af lmao. Perhaps he's doing meta-humor about his autism and deliberately doing that.

idk maybe it's not funny and I'm a little autistic myself.

Edited by Roy

"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him."

The testing and diagnosis is the issue, they miss fine distinctions, misdiagnosing the majority of cases.  

He made it that far without bothering with such a label not sure why he's coming with this now but sure.

17 minutes ago, Roy said:

That's low key funny af lmao. Perhaps he's doing meta-humor about his autism and deliberately doing that.

idk maybe it's not funny and I'm a little autistic myself.

We were sort of used to it though. Tbh I would often act even more autistically than him when we would smoke weed (this is 5-6 years ago), because I would only want to talk about weird shit like "GUYS did you know that having a manic episode is pharmacologically speaking basically the same as taking cocaine?" xD

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Yes, such people tend to be cold and socially clueless.

Only on the surface. I have a kid with mild autism, he's really loving, kind, affectionate and has a sense of humor but if you say "I love you" he won't think he should say it back. I've always loved people with autism cause you get this bold honesty, and carefree attitude of what other people think, but they do certainly have the capacity to love just as much as anyone else. It destroys your ideas of what love should look like on the surface. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

I have a bit of Asperger's and it is a blessing and a curse. I feel it helps me a lot in understanding and in this journey, but slows me down socially and executively

Regarding aspergers, I was diagnosed with it on a very early age.

Most of the time I dwelled in spiral dynamics stage red and was very narcissistic untill I started with looking in the effect of nutrition on autism: