Someone here

Can't sleep ?

22 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Ananta said:

From Cleveland Clinic Hospital-

"Symptoms of circadian rhythm sleep disorders include: Insomnia (difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep). Excessive daytime sleepiness. Difficulty waking up in the morning."

Look, I'm not going to argue with you about this, but I'm a nurse and I personally knew (when working at the hospital) two physicians that were taking Melatonin "long term" for insomnia. I also spoke to our pharmacist that highly recommended it for insomnia.

I've also used it, but my insomnia is chronic and severe, and it's not enough usually, so I take an alternative medication. Although, I add melatonin to my regimen occasionally. 

We don't actually disagree. I might have worded myself a bit inaccurately. Maybe a better word would be "not ideal". At least other types of sleeping medications tend to lose their effect over time (and in that sense, it's not an effective long-term solution). I've also used melatonin before as recommended by a doctor (my mom lol).

I should've emphasized that there is a distinction between a diagnosis (for example a sleeping disorder) and the symptoms used to set the diagnosis (diagnostic criteria). While it's true that insomnia can be listed as a symptom in rhythm disorders, these symptoms disappear when the rhythm stabilizes.

Only when the symptoms of insomnia are not exclusively linked to rhythm disturbances, then this can start to fit the diagnosis of "insomnia" as a sleeping disorder (if they appear in the right frequency and severity). Insomnia and rhythm disorders are therefore different diagnoses with similar symptoms. It's just a technical detail, but it's a part of the psychology curriculum here :)

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

The body drops consciousness when it does. One of the things you just can't control. 

Same with heartbeat and growing your hair & fingernails. Let the experience, whichever arises, slide over you... like the air over an aerodynamic bicycle helmet of a cyclist.

Greg

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.