Ry4n

Loving Kindness Meditation

8 posts in this topic

Anyone here done this technique much? What kind of experiences have u had?

Won't feel loneliness, no enemies, everything is connected to you and you are one with universe, no anxiety, no shyness, make friends easily, feels like everything and everyone loves you, Selflessness, can focus easily, always consious of everything around you.... etc...

i pepper my practice with 5 mins of metta at the end and it's proven to be incredibly useful. 

once you get to a certain point in this work you'll start to understand mahayana buddism paradoxical fascination with boddhicitta (ie compassion) and emptiness. like, everyone is suffering for no reason, and you feel it too.

also really useful for opening up to the truth of your own suffering. personal suffering has a lot to teach if you can open up to it. it is not surprising that it is considered by hinayana buddism as one of the Three Doors to ultimate reality (along with no-self and impermanence).

compassion seems to be a fundamental characteristics of your true nature, so it's a good idea to align with it.

"I gently pushed my hand into my pocket and pulled the last one out, it trembled at first and clung to my hand. "Go on, it will be ok," I whispered. Encouraged, it flexed its wings and I knew the time was right. It flew up towards the blue, blue sky and I looked proudly as it's made its way to freedom. The last of my fucks was finally given."

I've never heard of this technique. Sounds very interesting.

Can somebody please elaborate on the technique, or share an article / book / video?

@Marina One time I was meditating and started thinking about myself like what the hell am I. And the monk said there's no self so I started to wonder. I imagined myself eating an apple. Ok, so I wasn't apple but when I ate that apple, it became part of me... and so on.. and I realized how everything is connected to each other. One time I was killing flies, then I suddenly thought about myself, what if I get killed. Do I want to die? No! So why am I killing others? From that on I stopped killing. Metta is seeing surroundings as yourself and wanting everyone and everything to be happy as the way you want to be. Because you and your surroundings are one, your love become unconditioned and selfless.

@Khin @Flicker_boy woah... leo definitely needs to make a video on this technique.. ive seen videos by sam harris about it but to hear his insight into it would be nice

I was doing a guided meditation on forgiveness & loving kindness daily. It helped feel love for people. I remember one day I was waiting for my 10-year-old cousin at his school, and lots of children were passing by. And started to practice loving kindness (that is, saying, "May you be well. May you be peaceful. etc") I just felt pure love. But it didn't really last. I was kind of neurotic about practicing loving kindness all the time. Just drained by energy...

Ever since I came across the Do Nothing technique, and I am focused on it. So I very rarely practice loving kindness. And I don't really miss it. I prefer forgiveness meditation, which helps me to become aware of the suffering I cause to other people, and the immense suffering I cause to myself.