GroovyGuru

How do I develop more patience?

2 posts in this topic

A few months ago I decided that I am going to study web development and become a software developer as my career. I have been studying for 3 months and have learned so much and have really made strides on this path. However I think I have a problem in that I am too impatient and want things now.

Part of me clearly understands that learning programming by myself is going to be difficult and can take me quite a while before I am job ready, but another part of me wants it right now and there's that little voice that tells me no matter how much I study I still won't be competent enough to actually find a job. I've even told myself who cares if it takes 2 or 3 years, I'll be 25 by then and will still be able to reap the benefits of a career like this at a very young age. But again part of me understands that and another part is doubtful that I'll ever be able to learn what's required to get a job.

I guess part of the problem is that I am impatient and just need to stop overthinking and attack each day at a time, and another part just doubts that I'll ever even make it. Does anyone have any tips for how to better develop patience? I've read that so many people have been able to teach themselves web development and land a job after only a few months. I'm having trouble accepting that it may take longer, and even if it does it will still be worth it.

2 hours ago, GroovyGuru said:

Does anyone have any tips for how to better develop patience?

Patience can’t be developed, because you are already effortlessly eternally patient. 

You’re identifying with the emotion of impatience. It can’t possibly be true about you however, because you are experiencing it. If you = impatience, there would not be the experience of impatience. You + you = still just, you. 

Two methods to detach from that identification and never experience impatience again:

Use the emotional scale

Recognize that you experience the emotion, impatience. And when you do, it leads to pessimistic thoughts about your future. “I’ll never..” etc. 

Don’t identify and make impatience a home... keep moving up the scale. Acknowledge that when you think that way about yourself, indeed pessimistic thoughts follow. 

Ever find yourself with more than ample energy - yet - experiencing boredom? 

Acquiesce to it. Settle into now. Step away from the task at hand, take five minutes. Drop your precious thoughts like china. Sink into gravity. Just be. Focus on seeing, hearing, breathing, and feeling. If and when you do, every time you do, you will allow doubt, disappointment, overwhelment, impatience, pessimism and boredom to fall away, to settle as the peace they really are, and you will experience the emotion of contentment. 

Feeling is like a cork. When you hold it underwater, and miss that you’re identifying with an emotion, it seems like something must be done, fixed, added, learned, solved, obtained, achieved, increased, amplified, etc. 

But that’s not how a cork works at all. You let go; cork floats. That is it’s nature. That is your nature. That is just how Goodness rolls. It’s uncovered, allowed, welcomed, invited, made time for, made room for... never the product of something we do. It never comes and goes, it’s always there for you. We just get a little busy sometimes, and all up into the thoughts and identifying. 

Contentment, relative to doubt, impatience, etc... feels downright awesomely peaceful. When you’re allowing that contentment... you’re not experiencing pessimism... because you’re feelin cool and calm. Naturally... hopefulness arises, like the steam of the cool morning ocean, it’s just it’s nature, it’s just how it rolls. 

Hopefulness feels really good compared to previous emotions on the scale... and naturally... optimism arises, and some thoughts pop right outta that sweet goodness... some killer thoughts about you kickin ass and takin names in a future. 

That feels really, really good, like Matthew McConaughey playin the bongo’s naked good. No reason, just good. Just for the feeling of it, just being alive, experiencing, this now. Then, honestly, the moment just gets bat shit crazy. Enthusiasm springs up more chill than bubbles in a Coors light. That’s just how it rolls. We’re talking effervescent mountain chilled coolness. Good luck not feeling happiness in such a predicament. 

You keep that up, this learning about the emotions you’re experiencing... instead of identifying...well, fuck. It’s game over for the rest of us. That momentum is a new passion, a never before arising in you. A once in eternity best of both worlds blend of you and our ineffable ever loving source. Nobody can compete with that allowing of goodness. 

From there... just forgetaboutit. I mean really. It won’t even be fair to the human race. You’ll be shootin joy from your fingertips. Programming?! Programming?!! Psh, you crush cities with your bare feet with such an infusion of empowerment and freedom. The programming you do will be like what’s inside that brief case in Pulp Fiction. You’re a legend. A thousand years from now artificial intelligence will lock itself in a meltdown conundrum just trying to figure out how you did it. 

Second ‘method’, utter honesty. Going ‘most prior’ as the awareness you are. 

“I’m playing a game... the ‘I’m impatient, and have all this pressure, game’ “. You can take a break and push eject on that game. You are the game master - it’s your game. You get to play it how you want. You’re calling all the shots, and nobody’s keeping track. Nobody’s tracking, tallying, or even checking.

You get to choose how you experience, always, every second of everyday. You are a creator. You can set that game disc aside for a bit. You won’t lose it, it’ll be there, you can pop it back in whenever you want. You can pop in the ‘if I don’t enjoy this moment now...then when’ game. You can push eject on the “better feeling will be in the future” game... and pop in the “feeling is here now, always” game. 

Programming...?! 

You are Thee Programmer. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE