math159w

i can't tell if I'm going insane, help?

41 posts in this topic

so about a week ago, i indulged myself in a 300ug acid trip and stumbled upon leo's "guided exercise for realizing you are god". now, i have been watching his content for a while, and i love it, but that video seriously fucked with my mind. one thing is recontextualizing the experience of my body and objects etc., but i just can't wrap my mind around the whole "other people don't exist" thing. i'm not denying nor enforcing that notion, it's just such a mindfuck that i can't seem to make sense of. on one hand, it makes perfect sense after what i experienced/have been experiencing this entire week, but on the other hand, i can't shake the idea of me just being completely insane if that theory is wrong. is my current experience the only thing that exists? do you exist? i just need to know, it's painful being on this middleground.

It's more fucked up than that. Even you don't exist. 

Self vs other is a duality in thoughts. There is neither you nor others in direct experience. 

Edited by Someone here

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

@math159w Do you have any experience with spirituality/deconstructing the mind? Or are you completely new to the type of content presented by Leo? 

In advance: don't worry, you're not going insane, you're just experiencing a huge mind fuck. And proper mindfucks tend to make you feel like your going bananas but that's alright, because it will subside over time. What you're so afraid of right now is in philosophy called "Solipsism" and it's a meaningless idea. There is no problem, I promise^_^ I've been there, many of us have. 

It's the idea that you're the only person/mind in the whole universe. But it's not true (I won't explain it in this thread because we've had too many Solipsism thread in the last few months).

Feel free to pm me if you wanna talk about it a bit more. 

You as God literally create reality via pure belief. You believe prior events cause later ones, for literally no reason (important), and this, along with every other belief, become a sort of empty self-fulfilling prophecy. This doesn't mean you can personally choose to believe a reality that you personally just want to live in, on a whim, though. These beliefs are a consequence of attempting to know the infinite, which is impossible -- but that's what creation is. The infinite cannot be known, since there's nothing other than it... So if knowing appears, what seems to be known is necessarily not true. But again that is God creating reality, though God creates itself timelessly with the belief in a real subject. When truth appears (which is all that ever happens) that appearance is neither real nor unreal.

Edited by The0Self

I think I exist. You as well. And The other guys typing here too.

2 minutes ago, Victor Nunes said:

I think I exist. You as well. And The other guys typing here too.

Not always ;)

You don't actually think that though. (Assumption) thinking (assumption) thinks that is just what appears.

It could be. But cmon. I am the guy that born some decades ago and is typing here now. My memory says me that. Not only my memory but the testimony of many. You the same. We are unities participating in totality, and not totalities imagining we are unities

3 hours ago, math159w said:

is my current experience the only thing that exists? do you exist? i just need to know, it's painful being on this middleground.

From your perspective, the only one you have, your current experience (all that you are experiencing) is the only thing you can say for sure exists.  Where do I exist for you?  Only in your experience of me. 

This is where people tend to get lost.. they think that what this means is that if 'others' only exist as 'my experience of them', that they don't really exist.. but this is false.  Everything that we can say 'exists', only 'exists' as 'my experience of it'.   Well.. guess what.. that's good enough.   There is no meaningful difference between 'what I am REALLY experiencing' and 'what I SEEM to be experiencing'. 

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

@Mason Riggle Everything that we can say 'exists', only 'exists' as 'my experience of it'.  

very good point. Totally agree. But we may reach some common truths

4 minutes ago, Victor Nunes said:

common truths

If anyone reaches them, then common truths = common beliefs. Truth cannot be arrived at -- it's all there is.

Could you define truth? Because I can be misusing this word in English

1 minute ago, Victor Nunes said:

Could you define truth? Because I can be misusing this word in English

What is.

@math159w "Others exist" or "Others don't exist" are just thoughts. I just see you have started to turn this "others don't exist" into a belief system. It's not any closer to the truth. 

19 minutes ago, Victor Nunes said:

So truth = reality = Being? I believe that.

You believing that, is what is.

Yes, however from here it's quite obvious: while Truth and Being are the same, Reality is a dream. There is no Reality. Truth is neither real nor unreal.

Edited by The0Self

@The0Self If I belive in it and you don’t, what happen? Too much relativism for me.

Truth/Reality is unchangeable, we can get more or less adequate to it.

Edited by Victor Nunes

Welcome to the forum, @math159w. For starters, don't try to wrap your mind around it. Consciousness is the ultimate Mystery, and cannot be comprehended by its creations, any more than an individual wave can understand the ocean. It doesn't stop people from trying to make sense of it, though :) Ultimately, the truth can only be directly realized, beyond concepts.

As I see it, there is ultimate reality and relative reality. Ultimately, everything is Consciousness, and in that sense, people don't exist. We are created by Consciousness, as an expression of Consciousness, but we are all the same Consciousness.

Relatively, people do exist. Time and space are the parameters of relative reality, and within those parameters, everything in the cosmos exists. The Bhagavad Gita says that God is the abode of the cosmos. The cosmos is created by Consciousness, and abides within Consciousness, but ultimately it is all just Consciousness, in different states of Self-awareness.

Hope that helps, rather than confusing you further. xD

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

3 hours ago, Victor Nunes said:

It could be. But cmon. I am the guy that born some decades ago and is typing here now. My memory says me that. Not only my memory but the testimony of many. You the same. We are unities participating in totality, and not totalities imagining we are unities

Wrong. Okay, lets assume that we can trust our memory and that memory isn't just an invention of our minds. We look back in "the past" (keep in mind, we are doing it Now) and see images (these come with loads of baggage too) of certain things. Alright, okay. Here is my question to you: does that memory that we have, that "thing" that happened to us in "the past" is the only thing that happened? Something had to happen before that too, no? Your parents birth, grandparents ect. to the big bang... Where is the big bang? In your mind, isn't it? and so on you can go and go all your life imagining things. Out of all that "happened", why do you identify with what you remember? Loads of memories there that you can't recall.

You are not perception.

Edited by karkaore

@Moksha correct me if i'm wrong (because i might be), but does that mean, that when this little window, that i'm looking through (concsiousness), imagines that all things, including time, space, people, objects etc., etc., disapear while on a psychedelic for example, that they ACTUALLY litterally cease to exist, if that makes sense? i meditate for 1,5 hours a day and have watched a lot of leo's videos, so it's not that im new to this whole field, but the whole god video, was quite an unexpected bombshell during that trip. don't get me wrong, it's pretty awesome, but the notion of other people just boggles my mind so much

@karkaore Perfect , I partially agree with you. Many and many things happened I can’t capture, and also now, I can perceive just a tiny slot of the Full reality. This does not mean that what I perceived, even tiny, wasn’t real, right? The doctor who took me from my mother, and my mother, and the Hospital, were all real. 

I trust in my memory and so you do man, otherwise how would you not forget that you are talking to me? Or the English words? Or that you can talk to me? We are not an amoeba living, we have a full baggage of memories, not really true (agreed) but partially true.

You agree with me? Or you think you create me?