Samuel Etoo

COVID passports

12 posts in this topic

What do you guys think of the idea of COVID passports? Also what do you guys think of people who are against taking the vaccine due to a distrust in the government as well as a lack of testing for long term effects caused by the vaccines which were produced in such a short period of time?

3 hours ago, Samuel Etoo said:

What do you guys think of the idea of COVID passports? 

I like them. 

This is my understanding of them. 

If you take the vaccine or test positive for antibodies you get a card or a passport that you can use instead of fresh covid test when passing the border. 

Do you agree with my definition and what do you think of them? 

All the other questions were answered 10 times in other threads. 

I’m not 100% sure on how they would work but I believe they may be either a card or an app of some sort. If they work with people only having taken a recent test then I see not much issue with them however if they only work if you have been vaccinated I think this could be problematic since there are some people who would rather not take the vaccine and if this prohibits them from being able to travel I think this would be a major problem. In addition, some suggest that this may only be used for vaccines etc at first but as everyone begins to use the vaccine passports and get used to them they will add more layers to it for example adding personal information etc and people may need them not only to travel but to go to any public event or even to go to the local supermarket similar to the social credit system in China. I am not sure if this will happen however I doubt this will be used as a short term fix and will likely become permanent. If this were the case I would definitely be against this. I understand individuality is a construct as well as freedom being a construct however I think this may take away too much of our freedom and we need a fine balance. What do you think of this possibility? 

here’s a link of a video which discusses the topic 

2 hours ago, Samuel Etoo said:

I’m not 100% sure on how they would work but I believe they may be either a card or an app of some sort. If they work with people only having taken a recent test then I see not much issue with them however if they only work if you have been vaccinated I think this could be problematic since there are some people who would rather not take the vaccine and if this prohibits them from being able to travel I think this would be a major problem. In addition, some suggest that this may only be used for vaccines etc at first but as everyone begins to use the vaccine passports and get used to them they will add more layers to it for example adding personal information etc and people may need them not only to travel but to go to any public event or even to go to the local supermarket similar to the social credit system in China. I am not sure if this will happen however I doubt this will be used as a short term fix and will likely become permanent. If this were the case I would definitely be against this. I understand individuality is a construct as well as freedom being a construct however I think this may take away too much of our freedom and we need a fine balance. What do you think of this possibility? 

here’s a link of a video which discusses the topic 

You do realize we already have "vaccine passports" right? I can go right now I get the card my parents had to show all my schools before they'd let me in their doors. It is already mandatory to be vaccinated for many many things: elementary school, high school, university, travel, immigration, etc. We are not making new rules for covid were adding it to the list of thing we already require documentation for. 

This you'll need one to go to the supermarket slippery slope hasn't happened with any other mandatory vaccine no reason to think it'll happen with this one. Note: It is not that we as a society don't believe you need certain vaccinations to be in public, we as a society assume you are vaccinated against certain things when going out in public due to all the existing vaccination gates already in place. Again using all the other vaccines as president making supermarkets gatekeepers would be impractical and unnecessary. 

The only thing that is likely change is that it may become more efficient and easier for people to do what they already have to do. An app would have made my life much easier last time I had to present proof of vaccination for example. The slippery slope can cuts both ways....streamlined document for important paperwork is not an inherently bad thing. What if this makes all our lives easier?

The smart question is not if "vaccine passport" we've had that for decades, it how we create the best vaccine passport system...because our current one could be improved a bit.  The most likely outcome in my opinion however is no major improvement or worsen of the system everything keeps working the same and one more checkbox gets added to all the lists of mandatory vaccinations already in place. 

I’m not sure I understand that we have already had vaccine passports for years? I was talking specifically about COVID vaccine passports. In the past I have never had to show a vaccine passport to travel or to go any public event or place such as school. Hear in the UK where I am they are saying that these COVID vaccine passports will be ready soon so I am not sure how it is any where else. I’m pretty sure they have a system up and running in Israel. Would it really make our lives easier if we have to always show proof of vaccination or some type of immunity pass every time we go somewhere public such as school or the workplace. I feel that this is a bit excessive.

My country (Canada) is planning to have covid passports for people coming in. Not sure if this applies to Canadians or only foreigners. I'm not sure how it could be legal since the first page of the passport for any Commonwealth country (UK, Australia, NZ, Canada) is literally a letter from the Queen asking that the holder is granted free travel without hindrance. This makes me feel that requiring a covid passports for our own citizens would be ruled unconstitutional by our Supreme Court.

If my government requires a covid passport for international travel, I'm just not going to travel internationally any more. If they require it for inter-city or inter-provincial travel, I'd consider that an infringement on my freedom of travel under our Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

I am 100% NOT going to keep a covid passport on my unencrypted phone and provide medical data to companies just to go grocery shopping, even if I've been vaccinated and it would be easier to just go along with it. That's my line I won't cross.

I am getting my covid vaccine only because my wife is pregnant and I'm worried they might not let me into the hospital later this year when she gives birth without one. But covid passports are my line in the sand. I will also refuse to continue getting covid "boosters" every year like flu shots.

Yes I agree. I don’t see why a simple test at the border would not be sufficient. I myself will not get the vaccine since I am young(22) and healthy and would rather deal with the disease itself rather than experimenting with my long term health by taking a vaccine which was made in less than a year with no possible testing to see how it will affect people in 5 to 10 years or so. It usually takes many years for a vaccine to be created and approved and everyone seems to be in a rush to take this vaccine because they want to go back to ‘normal’. If the passports are required to travel across borders I will not travel unless a simple test is sufficient. Many people also seem to think it is selfish to not get vaccinated however if the majority of people take the vaccine then we should hopefully get herd immunity. In addition if the vaccine is effective then any unvaccinated people will not be a threat to anyone. I may be being naive with this viewpoint however I find the idea of these COVID passports absurd since there have always been deadly viruses and illnesses and such a system has never had to be in place. By going into public we have to accept the risks that come with it. Despite this I can understand how people would see this as a valid option for being able to travel and hold large public events again without another rise in cases however one of the main points I wanted to ask everyone about was the idea that the passports may later be transformed into some sort of social credit system similar to that of China where everyone must have an online profile ID of some sort which would be needed to partake in any activities in society with profile ratings etc. once the COVID passports have been fully integrated. This may seem far fetched now however many people have suggested this could happen and it is something that I am personally against but would like to hear the opinions of others on this.

Edited by Samuel Etoo

2 hours ago, Samuel Etoo said:

Would it really make our lives easier if we have to always show proof of vaccination or some type of immunity pass every time we go somewhere public such as school or the workplace. 

You show the proff of vaccine once in school.

Just go read Google for 10 minutes and most of your questions will be answered. 

1 hour ago, Yarco said:

I'm not sure how it could be legal since the first page of the passport for any Commonwealth country (UK, Australia, NZ, Canada) is literally a letter from the Queen asking that the holder is granted free travel without hindrance. This makes me feel that requiring a covid passports for our own citizens would be ruled unconstitutional by our Supreme Court.

So if you're carrying a bomb they can't stop you? 

Seems like you misunderstood the law. 

41 minutes ago, Opo said:

You show the proff of vaccine once in school.

Just go read Google for 10 minutes and most of your questions will be answered. 

I’m asking for people’s opinion on the topic. I’m not specifically asking how the vaccine passports works. I’m more focusing on the aspect of needing an Vaccine/immune ID which may hold all of your personal medical data etc on their in order to be able to partake in any social events such as sports events or theatre etc. which everyone used to be able to go to without such measures. Even if you only need to show the ID once it doesn’t change what I’m asking.

Very dystopian, giving the state even more power, and just seems absolutely mental to me I’ll effectively have to show papers to go have a pint with some friends in a “free” country 

But, my political opinions are veryyyyy different to most left leaning people on this forum, so I’m not sure many would agree ? 

However, no I would never support such a system, and majority of business owner I have spoken to / seen on social media say the same 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

1 hour ago, Samuel Etoo said:

I’m asking for people’s opinion on the topic. I’m not specifically asking how the vaccine passports works. I’m more focusing on the aspect of needing an Vaccine/immune ID which may hold all of your personal medical data etc on their in order to be able to partake in any social events such as sports events or theatre etc. which everyone used to be able to go to without such measures. Even if you only need to show the ID once it doesn’t change what I’m asking.

Pure fear mongering (at least as far as the US goes). We already know what mandatory vaccination looks like, it is not having to show vaccines to go to any social events.  It pointless to ask for an opinion on something so unlikely to happen.  The idea is floated around in the media yes, but the media has a lot of ideas.  Find me a law that is actually proposing this, you can't, indeed it's the opposite some states have passed laws forbidden business from requiring it already. While allowing the opposite, places refusing to hire the vaccinated can for now continue to discriminate against the vaccinated.  

Note: since this prohibits schools from requiring it (bad idea imo), but schools can and do require other vaccine. We are actually leaning in the opposite direction of all this dystopian fear mongering we as of now are undermining vaccination powers when it comes to covid not increasing it.