Lemar98

Weltschmerz, being too empathetic

7 posts in this topic

I feel like the topic of "Weltschmerz" is not taken seriously by a large part of society. Weltschmerz means that you are sad about the unneccessary suffering of people or animals around the world. Or sometimes it can be the frustration, that the world could be better, if some people would live more responsible lives.
My personal story was, that I realized a few years ago, that I am very privileged and that there are serious problems around the world, that I denied my whole life. Before that I was pretty egotistical, so this is a very new feeling for me, that probably came out of nowhere. And it felt like a depression at first, because I couldn't understand where this is all coming from. And now the need to help other people is getting stronger and stronger over time, seemingly out of nowhere. I don't know anyone in my circle of friends, who has the same "problem" as me.
Does anyone of you have the same feelings or similar experiences? How do you deal with it? Is it natural to care about total strangers? 

The important thing is you don't deny having it. I have this feeling I suppose, though it is slowly and softly flowing away, and when I see I can only do so much because of the ever proceeding flow of time and dependency on mutual barriers in communication with others, you know?

Edited by ilja

@ilja It sounds like you get more realistic about it over time. That's my hope also. But until then there must be some way of living with this feeling. Maybe it will get away automatically if you help enough people, or something like that

@Lemar98 Welcome to the forum :x

Hearth vs Money = Balance

Help someone are not always easy.

If a homeless ask for money, are this person going to be able use them in a way that not lead into more suffering?

If you give money that day, you find out if needs clothes or food  are important for example.

Can make an difference what you sense then help someone. Who knows, buy a coffee and share and care time can be in the long run what heals the most. Maybe :x

Awareness of the problem is only useful as far as to give birth to the solution. It's out of inspiration, not depression or defeatism, that positive action and healing are allow to occur. So you are becoming aware of your connection/oneness with all and your desire to uplift and enhance their happiness and well being. That's AMAZING. The next step is the realization that the best way to achieve this is to allow your own well being. You cannot get sick enough to make someone else well. You cannot get depressed enough to make someone else happy. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@mandyjw  It's inspiring to see, that this feeling can turn into something inspiring rather than pressuring, thank you. Maybe the psyche will adapt to this "weight" and you will eventually get energized by it if you get strong enough.
@DIDego Balance seems to be the right key word. Maybe I can fit a little nice act into my weekly schedule. It doesn't have to be much.

Will this feeling happen to everyone, who gets more concious? Or is it about your personality?