trenton

What is the depth of corruption in capitalism?

24 posts in this topic

@Husseinisdoingfine that's correct and it is the reason why I created this thread.

Because capitalism depends on the exploitation of other nations, the corruption of capitalism runs through unequal exchange, slavery, and militarism.  Capitalism and the class divide are linked to all of humanity in its corruption.

I am now seeing that the global economy is so corrupt that it is hard to imagine it changing drastically enough to stop this exploitation.  Because it is hard to imagine, I am trying to figure out what the economy should look like in theory to stop this exploitation.

It looks like the corruption of capitalism won't stop completely until there is a world government that gives everybody universal basic income.  Along the way there are significant steps.

These include but are not limited to...

Abolishing lobbying

Enforcing anti slavery laws

Punishing white collar crimes more severely

Universal basic income for the U.S.

more affordable health care.

Potentially punishing war crimes more severely.  The U.S. Is responsible for a lot of war crimes in the middle East.  In fact Biden committed one in his first 100 days.  The consequences were not that bad.  This would put a halt to militarism in many cases.

16 hours ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Interesting how he just assumes that the lowering of Living Standards in Western Democracies will lead to working class solidarity and a rejection of exploitative Capitalism, rather than to Right Wing authoritarian populism (ie a resurgence in Fascism), which is pretty much exactly what we've been seeing over the past decade or so.

I have to wonder whether those who are waiting for The Revolution to come along and fix the world's problems are engaging in Magical Thinking akin to Christians waiting for the Rapture, or whether they're just being willfully obtuse to unintended consequences of Revolution as a means to enact social change.

While I'm glad the issue of International exploitation is being discussed and taken seriously, it really is incredible how naive some on the Left are to the unintended consequences of the course of events they opine for...

There's just not going to be a 'quick fix' to the issue of exploitation; a developmental approach is the only realistic avenue I've seen articulated that would address this issue.

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

On 5/1/2021 at 11:38 PM, aurum said:

Specifically, developing a universal currency that does not add to the debt when it is created. 

https://bitcoin.org/en/bitcoin-paper (this is now more Bitcoin Cash than Bitcoin these days though, BTC acts more as Gold but is King for now!) 

@trenton  when we live in a society where losses are subsidized by the Government if you're in their good books (Wall Street), that is not Capitalism, its crony Capitalism. 

This book was truly an eye opener for me, although I don't think it will go down well here, haha

https://www.amazon.com/Economics-One-Lesson-Shortest-Understand/dp/0517548232/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=economics+in+one+lesson&qid=1620143314&s=books&sr=1-1

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

On 5/5/2021 at 1:38 PM, Husseinisdoingfine said:

At this point, Capitalism is synonymous with Imperialism.

@Husseinisdoingfine This is completely logical.  Remember throughout history other countries were attacked for their resources.  This includes precious metals.  This makes Martin Luther King's argument that racism, capitalism, and militarism are inseparable seem obvious.

A good example is how the United States fought for land against the native americans.  This was a capitalist expansion through war which was justified by dehumanizing the enemy by using the label "savage."

The part I would like to clarify is the relationship between capitalism and racism in modern warfare.  I heard a lot of talk that the United States attacked the middle East because we want their oil.  I don't know if this is completely true.  If it is, then I would like to point out that Muslims are being dehumanized.  Like racial profiling, there are some in the United States suggesting religious profiling because Muslims are associated with terrorism.  These worldviews are reinforced by people like Shapiro debunking the myth of the peaceful Muslim majority.  If Muslims are all dangerous terrorists, then we may as well call them barbarians or savages.  This would be used to justify Trump's statements so he can "bomb the hell" out of these people.  Racism, religious bigotry, and xenophobia are all an "us vs. Them" paradigm with which the United States justifies its evil. 

This was a cringe to watch.