Joscha

Taking Psychedelics safely

47 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, Girzo said:

Taking psychedelics regularly in small doses long-term does not increase risk significantly. You are okay doing that.

Doing them daily in small doses, like smoking some DMT every day, could be harmful, because of damage to the lungs and potential effects on the heart, which is full of serotonin receptors, but it's still a small risk compared to drinking alcohol with the same intensity, for example.

@Girzo so serotonin drugs affect the heart?

@Joscha It's another strong drug in your system, that's enough to make it riskier.

Also, taking it before the trip is a stupid idea, as it counter-acts the psychedelic effects. It's wiser to use it only in a crisis situation DURING the trip when you have taken more than you can bear, whether accidentally or on purpose, and want to bail out.

2 hours ago, Girzo said:

Do you ask from the perspective of a sober person reflecting on their trip or someone who is immersed in the experience and doesn't know how to make sense of their suspected delusions?

This is when I first got high on marijuana years ago. I had an amazing time. I laughed so hard, my face seemed like putty and my hand seem to mash into my face. Very much like a psychedelic experience. I thought everyone was high! 

It reminds me of when they say everyone is Enlightened.

13 hours ago, Joscha said:

Its been almost a year since my last trip on LSD where I attempted suicide. I was not suicidal before, it was just on this trip. It was the worst day of my life. 

Can you provide a link to this trip report?.  Also are these drugs legal in your country?.  If not I wouldn't want to see you be incarcerated as then you may end up actually committing suicide.  In my country possession carries a 7 year sentence, dealing carries life!

Edited by CreativeMind

Lsd is too scary for me but I was thinking maybe a drug with a shorter duration like DMT for example is less risky when it comes to freaking out and starting to hurt yourself?

5-MeO can be much more scary than LSD, and so can n,n-DMT, but n,n-DMT in small doses would perhaps work better for you than LSD. Not saying it definitely won't go bad, but there are some reasons why LSD and 5-MeO (and to a lesser extent, ketamine) are sort of in a league of their own... LSD is actually somewhat similar to 5-MeO, in that ego-death, dissociation, memory suppression, and thought-loops/confusion can be particularly prominent in the experience... which can often lead to fear or irrationality. Even psychosis/delusions. n,n-DMT is more visual, sober, and hyperspace-like -- you're less likely to have complete memory suppression and ego-death. Mushrooms are kind of like half way between those 2 camps. Don't take this too literally, it's just my particular intuitive grasp, based on well over 100 trips.

Also, would taking Xanax, for psychedelics in general, before a trip minimize the risk?

It may minimize the risk of anxiety and possibly delusions, but not depression or suicide. Probably not a great idea. It really sucks the life out of the trip anyway -- you'd be better off (in terms of both anxiety-relief, insight-promotion, and safety) just taking half the dose of psychedelic. But don't go too low -- IME if you dose too low you get all the anxiety and none of the benefits. Too low IMO is less than 1g mushrooms or less than 75ug LSD, fwiw.

I’ve even played with the thought of constraining myself physically before administering the drug.

:o

Don't. Please don't. Lol.

Good luck. :)

I'd steer clear of them for now, though.

32 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Bad trips are good trips

I agree, there are no bad trips, only hard ones.

A single heroic trip might be safer than a year of microdosing, though.

25 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Safety is for kids.

Hero dose or nothing.

All or nothing.

LSD:  "Poof poof bang bang boom boom."

Me: "yes"

Bad trips are good trips

;)

:D Funny.

But... I'm gonna be the busy-body for a change and point this out as maybe just a tad bit irresponsible. :) Maybe.

But what do I know? ;)

And believe me, I thought about typing essentially what you did, but it never occurred to me to actually type it and press submit, it's just what wanted to come out as a reaction, but then the real response followed.

Mindfulness of "wanting to projectile-vomit words on the screen" may be in order.

If the reason you have this cavalier attitude towards this stuff is because you've tripped so many times and seen stuff that most people probably never will see, then surely you've learned some of the more esoteric ins-and-outs of psychedelic use? Why not share that?

:|

@Kalo Try not to take me too seriously.:)

@Joscha if you are trying to be safe, thats the completely opposite direction of enlightenment. Because you die, when enlightenment happens. if you say will my body die? No having a body is thought itself.  so dont take psychedelics. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

14 hours ago, Joscha said:

Also, would taking Xanax, for psychedelics in general, before a trip minimize the risk?

Ime, the best way to release trip anxiety is to trip on low dosages. 

Yet, I've also tripped with some etizolam on hand, just in case. I've never taken it, yet it can give a sense of security. 

I also have this fear that it won’t matter even if I would take 10ug. That my mind has locked inside this association with terrible fear that it needs to escape, which it thinks it can only do by killing itself.

Then work through that. 10ug is below threshold. If your trip anxiety is that intense, you should not be combining various drugs trying to suppress that anxiety while tripping balls. That is a recipe for disaster. 

Take 10ug and let your mind-body discover that nothing happens. Experience that sense of "Uh? That's it? That's nothing". That will help release conditioned anxiety. Then move up to 20ug which is right above threshold. You are still in control, just a little enhancement. Go into nature, watch some fun videos, get creative and have fun. Show your mind-body that it's ok and low doses are safe and there is no boogeyman out to get you.

Ime, trying to think my way out of it doesn't go deep into the subconscious conditioning. 

2 hours ago, Forestluv said:

Ime, the best way to release trip anxiety is to trip on low dosages. 

Yet, I've also tripped with some etizolam on hand, just in case. I've never taken it, yet it can give a sense of security. 

Then work through that. 10ug is below threshold. If your trip anxiety is that intense, you should not be combining various drugs trying to suppress that anxiety while tripping balls. That is a recipe for disaster. 

Take 10ug and let your mind-body discover that nothing happens. Experience that sense of "Uh? That's it? That's nothing". That will help release conditioned anxiety. Then move up to 20ug which is right above threshold. You are still in control, just a little enhancement. Go into nature, watch some fun videos, get creative and have fun. Show your mind-body that it's ok and low doses are safe and there is no boogeyman out to get you.

Ime, trying to think my way out of it doesn't go deep into the subconscious conditioning. 

^^ Wonderful advice! :)

Yeah, unless you're liable to have a psychotic or suicidal episode on, say, a mild-moderate dose of Adderall... then you've almost certainly got nothing to worry about with 10-20ug. Maybe try it out, just to test the waters. Allow 14 days to pass after last dose before you take an effective trip dose -- no less than 7 days or else it will very likely be lackluster. No need to wait for more than like 4 days between microdoses, but trip doses benefit greatly from a 12-14+ day wash-out period (bare minimum 7-10 days). Any greater than 20-25ug, while still essentially a "microdose," is not necessarily a subtle one... so perhaps try 10-20ug.

@Kalo I thought the exact same way until I put a knife to my stomach in my last horror trip . Seems like a silly attitude to me now but to each their own.

@The0Self  Interesting, thanks! I will look into n,n-DMT. It was not really a depression problem back then, more like complete anxiety, loss of irrationality and really wanting the trip to end. I actually just wanted to become unconscious, but I didn’t know how so it became very dangerous.

I‘ll leave them for now I think.

@Forestluv  That seems like a good idea. Yeah, thinking about it probably won’t take the anxiety away.. Thanks for those suggestions! If\when I try it again, I‘ll do it like that.

If you think bad trips are good trips, you ain't had a seriously BAD trip.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura do you recommend trip-killers?

Specially for mushroom.

And what substance do you recommend?

I have had a psilocybin trip where for 2 hours of the peak I was shouting from suffering, crying for mommy and basically was unable to move, grasping to the realization that it's all love and I am a miserable dust in "Yours" presence, like a drowning person is grasping for air. The next 2 hours were a little bit less filled with pain, so I could decompress some of the feelings.

But I have integrated it, so it's not a bad trip, just a challenging experience.

22 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

For fucking real. It’s like thinking “heaven and hell swapping places” is “good” or something. The intensity of that fear can probably even give the body physical health problems lol

@Leo GuraTim ferris likes to say there are dangerous trips and safe trips. If you are tripping safely, then it's not really a "bad trip" 

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Well, that really motivates me to start my psychedelic adventure.

.... don't plan for the future!?

: )

7 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Could you make a Blog Episode talking about your bad trips - your opinion on them, how to avoid them etc.