Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hulia

The books

6 posts in this topic

I forget everything I´ve read, especially the names, I don´t know them even while reading. So let´s try a journal. 

1. Akwaeke Emez "Fresh water"

The book I´m reading now. Very Very amazing. Why? It is about the entity living in the mind of a girl. The amazing thing is that the book is written from the pov of entity, not the girl but the entity is telling us her story.

Girl´s name is Ada

Entity´s name: Asughara

Asughara has brothersisters, they are also present but inactive they are behind the gate. Asughara and her brothersisters are the children of the pyton-goddess.

Apart from Asughara there are also some other entities in the marble room of Ada´s mind:

Vincent. He is mostly present in her dreams. Asughara and Vincent seem to be on good terms with each other.

Yshwa. This is the right name of the entity, which people call Jesus Christ. He doesn´t live in Ada´s mind like Asugara and Vincent, but he comes sometimes. Asughara hates him and tries to get rid of him. Yshwa has that typical sad expression when he looks at her.

Unlike Asughara Yshwa never responded to Ada, when she needed him, when she called for him. Asughara was always there for Ada.

Asughara persuaded Ada that Ada needs her for protection from the cruel external world. That´s why Ada tolerates her, she is afraid to remain alone with a cruel world. But Asughara has no compassion, not only for the people around Ada, but also for Ada herself. 

headshots_1520368764094.0.jpg

Edited by Hulia

Aravind Adiga

I will write about 3 books:

- White Tiger

- Last man in tower

THese both have shaken me. Accidentally I read White Tiger at the end of 2013 when revolution took place in Ukraine. "Last man i tower" I read during uprising of USSR-devotees in a coal mines region of Donbass in the beginning of russian-ukrainian war. 

- Golden Boy

This one gave me another perspective. THough I still don´t get it :) Why would somebody drop everything what is really important for him and persue a minor stuff instead?? It´s so far away of logic - this tricky way of psyche

1. Let´s begin with White tiger.

This is what they would call in Russian Dostoevshchina. What is Dostoevshchina? Well if  Shakespearism is

-- To be or not to be? That is the question --

Dostoevshchina is

-- To kill or not to kill? That is the question --

Though if we speak about Dostoevski the killing for which his main character has made up his mind is like russian uprising - pointless and brutal. Student killing his loaner - an old woman for a couple of rubles. Without any plan, aim or understanding and as a result landing in the prison full of sorrow and repentance.

I likes also the thought of a turkish author Orhan Pamuk on killing, how different it is in different cultures. He compared of course Orient and West. In the western culture it is a son, killing his father (s. ancient greek legend of Oedipus), in the oriental culture it is a father killing his son (sorry I forgot their main legend about it). There is a symbolism in this difference. Orient holding on the past and traditions not letting the changes come, and the West turning out to be more future-oriented, breaking in an easier way with the traditions. 

And Russia inbetween looking for a sense not finding it and ending up with pointless killing and suffering, killing and suffering ?

Well but let´c come back to the indian white tiger

P.S: Concerning "to be or not to be" I could never understand a fuss about this question. As if there were an option! Since I was a child it was clear to me: you cannot not to be!

3332446741_91c2e4eb20_b.jpg

Edited by Hulia

Ok, it seems I cannot edit for eternity just a limited number of times, but I still haven´t written about white tiger and others. I´ll do it. next time

https://tydyvy.com/video/DylGUho

Wolfgang Herrndorf "Why we took the car". 

A very beautiful and funny story about two 8-graders from Berlin. They´ve stolen a car - old Lada (actually it was a russian guy who did it and persuaded the other one to go for this adventure) and headed for Wallachia. Vacation time! 

Very funny. Reminds me also of this forum. The russian guy as mean as Zero.

Don´t know what to add.

19544621_303.jpg

Edited by Hulia

Nick Hornby "Just like you"

A beautiful story of love between 2 people with a big gap in age, upbringing, culture, race, interests. In the middle of Brexit campaign in UK.

Still in the middle of it.

Like Nick Hornby for the funny dialogues and warmth.

What would I do without books? All the lives I´ve lived all the people I´ve learned....

99033d3bbc95f9a2c9b9aeea788f7a136df88887-00-00.jpeg