Someone here

Enlightenment is NOT about seeking a state

75 posts in this topic

I was having this conversation with my friend that only when the mind stops to think we come closer to our true nature. All philosophies..books.. movies fill our minds with all these things.. what to expect and where to look for.. but resulting in further sinking in delusion. Enlightenment is the exact opposite of becoming.you can never become enlightened. You can only be enlightened. 

Seeking is a duality in itself. It infers another time.. another place. The search for something missing that needs to be gained. It should really be called "losing" rather than seeking. It's more about losing something than finding something. When the ego is lost.. all that remains is what is. Which is everything.

The only things you can do to become enlightened is nothing. That's it, nothing more.. nothing less.

So if you haven't experienced non-duality.. stop seeking. wandering.. filling your mind with concepts and just sit still.  these things might enhance living the duality .. but will certainy not help you getting further to enlightenment. 

The desire to be enlightened.. to release your suffering.. or to be better.. or for whatever egoic reasons.. needs to drop.

As long as your mind is seeking in this way.. it won't lead you anywhere, because you're chasing something that you think doesn't already exist at this moment. And this fundamentally means you will never be enlightened. So long as you think this moment is not enough.. You will keep seeking the next one and the next one.. And you will never be peaceful. When you Allow everything to just be as it is. Only then enlightenment is realized to be your true nature. Peace is realized. 

So the best way to actually have a peaceful mind.. Is to stop to be mad at yourself for not being peaceful.. accept that it's the case and just be present.

Notice that I didn't say a "clear mind" or an "empty mind".
This is a fantasy.. a goal that you're pursuing.. which puts in the future (which doesn't exist) the discovery of your true nature.. which doesn't depend on having a clear mind at all. And doesn't depend on anything. Because it's always already who you are. 

Don't chase anything.. just be totally and utterly uninterested about the past and the future.

The belief in a separate self that "needs" to reach a state in the future called enlightenment already is delusional and off the mark. 

So.. in a sense.. there is nothing to do.. but this shouldn't be used as an excuse to seclude yourself from the rest of mankind
And at the same time.. not an excuse to do less of those activities. 

Edited by Someone here

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

Yeah man,

It can't be done right or wrong.

It literally cannot be done correct or incorrect..... because those are just conditioned concepts of the dream story.

So in that sense there's nothing to say or not to say/do or not to do.

It's that free.... and totally unexpected!! :|:o

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

Seek or don't seek -- up to you.

But enlightenment is certainly a state. And you ain't got it yet.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Enlightenment is self realization. Pure and simple. @Leo calls it God, but it's really something that most philosophies talk about, which has something to do with our individuated state, some kind of ideal self that can turn shit into gold and thus affirm human existence, including our sufferings. 

Edited by Megan Alecia

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Seek or don't seek -- up to you.

But enlightenment is certainly a state. And you ain't got it yet.

Yep. I've come to the same conclusion.

OF COURSE, enlightenment is a state.

You can become enlightened and be filled with inner peace, and just express whatever arises on the inside, without needing to polish nor mulling (over) your self-image (ego).

But if you then decide to stop doing any consciousness-work (meditate etc.) and start living unhealthy (bad food, poor sleep, no exercise), or start treating yourself/others poorly, well, give it a few weeks or months and you'll be out of the enlightened state again, back into the invisible chains of ego! (Tried that lol).

Enlightenment is a state. It's sort of a state wherein you are conscious of the fact that it's not a state (and that there are no states, only Oneness), hehe, but it is still a state!

state <<--->> no-state

impermanence <<-->> permanence

All two sides of the same coin. One.

They imply each other. Are ultimately identical.

Oneness. Non-Duality.

????

Edited by WaveInTheOcean

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

It doesn't matter what its called.

You can name a volleyball wilson or call a dog a chicken.

Enlightenment is the end of concepts about what THIS is....its the end of conceptualizing reality as this, that or the other. Its the end of placing illusory concepts over top of reality and operating from that perspective.

And its an inner recognition rather than a direct experience. 

Freedom for no one ❤

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

@Someone here what your saying is partially true, however just simply being in the present moment will not raise you conciousness to the point where you will awaken. You are not Eckart Tolle or Rubert Spira. Even then... are these guys even really awake? 

The present moment is such a small facet of awakening IMO, it's like spirituality for dummies. This is obvious when you realize time is illusory, imaginary and just another duality.

Enlightenment/awakening/samadhi IS a state. And if you have not experienced this state, then yeah you would probably say something like this. 

12 hours ago, Someone here said:

The only things you can do to become enlightened is nothing. That's it, nothing more.. nothing less.

This is simply wrong. This will not awaken you. Honestly, it just won't. Your true nature is Nothingness, however "doing" nothing will not awaken you to God. Leo has about 20 techniques he mentions in his what is God series that will might get you there though. But if your a normal human like 99.9% of us, we don't have 10,000 hours of patience to meditate and do self inquiry. Psychedelics will get you there very quickly if you are serious about Truth. Otherwise your wasting your time and energy in my experience.  

Here's a perspective: I used to seek enlightenment, but when I actually stood up next to it, I realized I was getting more than I wanted. Then I stopped seeking it, and man, that is when it really started. 

In a relative sense, the person that sits down and meditates can be said to be seeking, and that behavior is necessary for him to get to where he wants, but in an absolute sense, there is no person seeking and there is no place to go. Then what do you tell people?

Well, you could say that enlightenment is when there is a spontaneous flip from the first perspective to the second perspective. It would therefore be wrong to say either "stop seeking – there is nothing to seek" or "keep going – there is something to seek", because it depends on where you're currently at.

Some people need to pull and some people need to release. That is why teachers give different pointers that mean the opposite to different people and why people who aren't resonating at the same level get confused when they hear these conflicting messages.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

enlightenment for me is being one with the truth. Why are you not one with the truth initially? because you have been prey to the false. so you have to do a job, which is to eliminate the false in you, it is not enough to do nothing. The usual thing is that this falsehood causes you suffering, so you look for ways out. Dissolving the ego is the key, but it is the ego itself that sees this, so it is difficult for the ego to eliminate itself. you can understand yourself, what a job is, and then silence yourself with meditation as much as possible, hour after hour day after day. this is another job. And even doing this, the false will continue to exert its force since it has occupied almost your entire person, it will take psychedelics, gift of God, to really dissolve the falsehood and be able to see for a moment, identify the false and intuit the truth. so the opposite of doing nothing, you have to do a lot, with determination, since you have to undo what has been done your whole life

All states are temporary. They come and go. If enlightened was a state.. It would be temporary. And it would not be worth "getting" since you can't get it anyway. 

Why can't you just awaken right now ?
What's stopping you ?

Do you think more meditation is necessary ?
Do you think you need to clear your mind more ?
Do you think you need to activate a specific chakra ?
Do you think it's necessary to self inquire for months ?

Is it because your teacher told you only a saint can do it.. that it is reserved to an elite ?
Is it because you think you need to fix "X" problem first ?
Is it because you need that right insight from a specific books ?
Bullshit! All of it. Enlightenment is your natural state of being. Everything is already enlightened. All is well. It's the seeking that veils it. Just like thinking that you need money or sex to be happy in life.. The same goes for thinking you need to blast off on psychedelics to be who you already are. 

It's because we are under the illusion that there is a goal.. the goal is real. In that illusion there is a constant movement away from THIS. . It is a perpetual denying of this just being. The movement away from this makes it appear real and seem like there is something to achieve or get.. in order to achieve fulfillment. The fullfilment is never satisfied permanently.. only through quick fixes.. which actually is the satisfaction of fulfilling/feeding the energy of needing.. for a moment. When this is only real and you deny the unreality that this is too.you are off balance and unsatisfied. 

You will be chasing your tail forever. 

dog-chasing-tail-19.gif

Edited by Someone here

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

1 hour ago, VeganAwake said:

It doesn't matter what its called.

You can name a volleyball wilson or call a dog a chicken.

Enlightenment is the end of concepts about what THIS is....its the end of conceptualizing reality as this, that or the other. Its the end of placing illusory concepts over top of reality and operating from that perspective.

And its an inner recognition rather than a direct experience. 

Freedom for no one ❤

I think it does matter.

Freedom for me luckily ? (what is appearing here to use your own words).

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

2 minutes ago, Someone here said:

All states are temporary. They come and go. If enlightened was a state.. It would be temporary. And it would not be worth "getting" since you can't get it anyway. 

Being enlightened IS a state.

However, if you cultivate your consciousness & keep watering the garden of your mind, and stay healthy in body & mind, then sure, it's easily possible to basically more or less keep the state of deep inner peace/freedom/free expression until your death, thus making it seem like it was a permanent thing for all your poor ignorant followers. :-)

Whether it's worth it or not is up for you to judge. I find all my work and deep suffering worth it though - of fucking course:-)

Why can't you just awaken right now ?
What's stopping you ?

You tell me. Probably the invisible chains ⛓️ of your ego that you have yet to burn with melting love & illuminating awareness :-)

Do you think more meditation is necessary ?

Moar dmttttt... xD changa

Bullshit! All of it. Enlightenment is your natural state of being.

Yes it is, but society/ego/culture/social conditioning makes it VERY hard to see that.

Everything is already enlightened.

Say that to an ape.

All is well. It's the seeking that veils it. Just like thinking that you need money or sex to be happy in life.. The same goes for thinking you need to blast off on psychedelics to be who you already are. 

Seeking (enlightenment/freedom) is absolutely fundamental in the beginning of one's unique path.

If you don't seek, it's because you don't think "anything is wrong" which corresponds to 90% of the population in the West.

But yes, eventually seeking will stop naturally - or has to cease - in order for one 'to get it'.

dog-chasing-tail-19.gif

??

For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

1 hour ago, Someone here said:

Enlightenment is your natural state of being.

That being said the concept of state is more how the psychedelic tripping masters describe it. I doubt a spiritual master like Sadhguru would tag it so crudely.

Isn't even going from seeking to not-seeking a state change?

Enlightenment is a state... Otherwise, what the hell are we even talking about... It's an event and a state, but it's a state that transcends experience. A state absent of the impossible condition known as certainty, and in this way it is "seeing clearly." It's not about having a new, better experience. It's not merely mental -- if it were, everyone who regularly watches Leo's or even Tony Parson's vids or whatever would have it (of course, no one has it, but language is inherently dualistic). Rather, it's an intuitive recognition that you aren't a person who does things in a world. It can reveal a lot, but none of the revelations are imbued with certainty.

And there are different flavors of it... I'm aware of the way in which that statement if false -- that's not what I'm referring to. What I mean is: you cannot be both enlightened and certain (particularly of things that are false), but you CAN be enlightened and confused. Case in point: enlightened people who wonder if there is a God... There's potential for an intuitive understanding that God/Love is everything -- doesn't mean you're certain of that, but since there's no doubt about it, it does pretty much mean you won't be wondering if there's a God...