Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tifecool

The metaphysical basis

2 posts in this topic

A tree is not made from atoms, there is only a tree.

The scientist might say this is nonsense and that the atoms exist if only you'd use an electron microscope to view them.
To which the philosopher might respond: either view, the tree or the atoms, depends on how you look at it. The tree might as well be a "pixel" of green if viewed from outer space and all other views cease to exist.
I imagine the scientist finding the philosopher's "fallacious" proposition irritating, obviously these three different states of the tree exist! There is a tree; there are atoms of this tree and there is a view of the tree from space.

But, there is no disembodied human eye looking through an invisible electron microscope to see the atoms of the tree when no one is trying to view the atoms; nor is there a disembodied eye viewing the tree from an invisible spacecraft. 

"But then the atoms exist if you view it or not!" protests the scientist. But an atom in what sense? An atom in relation to who or what? Clearly not the atom seen under the electron microscope, that view is relative to the apparatus viewing it in that particular way and there is no atom relative to the base human eye which, at best, sees the brown bark via the visible light spectrum.

"The objective atom! The atom that exists in of itself!" says the scientist, clinging to his ever slippery understanding of the atom. "Ah-ha" he says, "This is the atom that exists when no one views it" smirking sheepishly.

̷D̷o̷e̷s̷ ̷t̷h̷e̷ ̷s̷p̷i̷r̷i̷t̷ ̷h̷a̷v̷e̷ ̷e̷y̷e̷s̷?̷ ̷
I̷n̷ ̷h̷e̷a̷v̷e̷n̷ ̷h̷o̷w̷ ̷w̷i̷l̷l̷ ̷y̷o̷u̷ ̷s̷e̷e̷?̷

Does an atom have an eye? So how can it perceive itself? What is an atom to itself?
If you subscribe to the very conventional view that nothing but humans have conscious experience, then the atom exists only when miraculously viewed by a human eye by chance lest it exists in less than darkness. 

What power in the human eye to bring things in and out of existence! But then, should not all our wardrobes open up into Narnia? But alas, they do not. The atom must exist without the human viewer! But, it exists in less than darkness, in other terms, non-existence as reality occurs only when "viewed".

"The omnipresent eye of God! It views all the atoms" the scientist recalls his Christian upbringing and wonders if he could have been wrong all along.

And what type of eye is that? A human eye? or an electron microscopic eye? or the myriad of other animal eyes?
"The girl with kaleidoscope eyes" -The Beatles

A single particle in a universe the void of anything else stays stationary and does not exist.
Only in relation does a thing exist; a relation which is "experienced".

Nice :)

Reality cannot be encapsulated in words.  Or looked upon from only one angle. Rather it's the sum of all points and all possible POVs. Furthermore... paradoxically it is not an it.  Language haha

The trap of science is confusing the map (atoms) for territory (reality) In my definition.. reality is seen by the mind that does not think— it doesn't think.. it's just awake. Its knowledge is immediateas in knowing whether water tastes cold or not without deliberation. That's what knows. Actually.. it's who knows. Who is that? It's just selfless awareness.. your own mind right now. It's not just that non-discursive mind sees reality— it alone is what is reality. I can say that!

When oneself partakes of reality.. then one sees reality. It's not good or bad.. it's just what is.. and you can see it as it really is without discriminatory psychological projections. Or scientific filters. Reality is mystical. It's fundamentally mysterious and unknown. But it's completely direct That there is no gap for knowing. 

So the nature of reality is …what? Even better.. since reality can actually be seen... not explained.

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho