Myioko

Happiness?

18 posts in this topic

I've been feeling rather low this week and so today I took a break today to think about what could be causing it. 

This year I've been treating happiness like a chore to work on - I worked on accepting that hardships and negative feelings are a necessity to life and that to run away from responsibilities will only cause me more unhappiness, and without pain comes no growth. I feel like like my happiness is like a sandcastle with a moat of water built around it, but the shore has come too close to it right now so I'm scooping and scooping more water out ('negativity') but it's damaged the sand castle and it doesn't seem to end. 

But wait, isn't it more simple than that? Is happiness something that I already have within me, thats getting weighed down by something, my mind gets disillusioned by thoughts and concepts? But there I go again, worrying about what that thing is thats weighing me down. Worrying = about a concept/nothing. Soo I'm confused.

What I do know right now is that I gotta improve at maintaining a steady habit of simple basic self care, like health and meditation and getting sunlight every day, maybe that's the simple answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One way I find to turn the battle on it's head is to enjoy the unhappiness. The more you frame it as something that's hard to achieve the more it actually becomes. There are unhappy moments OK, then what? Just allow yourself to feel unhappy and vibe on some unhappy music for a while. Most of the time, just feeling it allows it to move on and you really end up being happy again much faster than if you refused to feel unhappy and kept trying to magically make yourself happy without feeling. I find it's a bit the same with sleeping, the harder you try to sleep (the more you reject not sleeping) the worse it is.

Just chill and let it all out with some Igorrr!!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@4201

Thanks, I will keep that mind! Maybe I am less ok with fully feeling unhappy feelings than I thought I was. I think the biggest trigger moments for me is when I realized I've been feeling off for a longish period of time, and then I feel like something is wrong with me. And then I'll feel worse lol. (I like the song btw, I've never listened to Igorrr before. Igorrr seems like a fitting name!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Myioko said:

@4201

Thanks, I will keep that mind! Maybe I am less ok with fully feeling unhappy feelings than I thought I was. I think the biggest trigger moments for me is when I realized I've been feeling off for a longish period of time, and then I feel like something is wrong with me. And then I'll feel worse lol. (I like the song btw, I've never listened to Igorrr before. Igorrr seems like a fitting name!)

Yes, we have to be clear about the fact that true happiness is not meeting expectations about how happy one should be. True happiness is no worries, even no worries about happiness.

43 minutes ago, Myioko said:

Is happiness something that I already have within me, thats getting weighed down by something, my mind gets disillusioned by thoughts and concepts?

I think the problem kicks in when we start to conceptualize about happiness and the thoughts as 2 problematic "actors" in a nested conceptualized mind. Happiness is nothing, really nothing. If you had no problems, you'd be happy. This idea that something is wrong with you that makes you unhappy, I think that's the only thing to let go. As long as you believe in it, it's going to be your reality and your reality will be a constant struggle for happiness. 

But then that's not a reason to conceptualize a self that believes in that and be like "Why can't my self stop believing". Believing is just repeated thought and stopping those thoughts is really what is needed.

At least personally I struggled with this for a long time and I still struggle with it from time to time, except replace the word happiness for productivity. But then that's me making a self who struggles with this, which is the source of the problem in the first place. It sure is tricky when the problem is the framing of the problem rather than what is thought to be the problem, but then the solution is to stop framing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, 4201 said:

One way I find to turn the battle on it's head is to enjoy the unhappiness. The more you frame it as something that's hard to achieve the more it actually becomes. There are unhappy moments OK, then what? Just allow yourself to feel unhappy and vibe on some unhappy music for a while. Most of the time, just feeling it allows it to move on and you really end up being happy again much faster than if you refused to feel unhappy and kept trying to magically make yourself happy without feeling. I find it's a bit the same with sleeping, the harder you try to sleep (the more you reject not sleeping) the worse it is.

Just chill and let it all out with some Igorrr!!!!

 

??
I hope to see them in concert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Write down some things you’re grateful for. 
 

Pro-tip: A light therapy device purchased for $50 can give you many benefits of sunlight as far as its effect on happiness is concerned. I like to use it at my desk at work in winter months or even throughout the year if depression is notably high. 30 minutes is usually enough to feel a pretty noticeable effect. There have been times where I was almost overrun by misery which were almost entirely reduced due to light therapy. 
 

Happiness is somewhat of a foolish goal in my opinion. Seek to find a source of contentment. This boat will carry you over the sea of happiness just as well as it carries you over the sea of suffering. The human system is designed to fluctuate in mood in order to motivate you to maintain homeostasis. 
 

The best source of contentment is having enough experiences which show you your transcendental nature or true nature that your ego can no longer deny that it is the case. 


You mistake my Raja Yoga. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Within you.


"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, 4201 said:

Yes, we have to be clear about the fact that true happiness is not meeting expectations about how happy one should be. True happiness is no worries, even no worries about happiness.

Yeah..I think I agree. That clarifies things up a bit.

32 minutes ago, 4201 said:

At least personally I struggled with this for a long time and I still struggle with it from time to time, except replace the word happiness for productivity. But then that's me making a self who struggles with this, which is the source of the problem in the first place. It sure is tricky when the problem is the framing of the problem rather than what is thought to be the problem, but then the solution is to stop framing it.

You mean you sometimes struggled with the conception of thinking productivity would lead to happiness? (not absolutely certain by what you meant there) That its making a problem after an idea of a problem, that that's the tricky part we have to be careful with? 

I guess problems and prioritizing-setting are necessary to deal with first hand on, when it arrives at the right times, for survival reasons. 

 

Not to get too off track, but I'm listening to the full album

And I'm imagining that it's the year 3000 AD and I'm taking a casual trip to hell, and I visit an underworld hell-church and sit on a bench in a corner. And since they're old fashioned, the demons and humans are listening to medieval church music, only in...their style. I'm really vibing and feeling some of it, but then at 11:35 I can't help but burst out laughing, hahaaa I can't stop laughing. Idk if that part is meant to be funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BipolarGrowth

Will do, I do think gratitude is one of the best ways that I know of to combat perpetual dissatisfaction.

Thank you for the light tips, that is very useful info to know for when I might move to a cloudier place in the future. 

I agree with finding a source of contentment/peace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Myioko said:

You mean you sometimes struggled with the conception of thinking productivity would lead to happiness? (not absolutely certain by what you meant there)

Simply what mattered to me was being productive rather than being happy. I didn't care about being a happy person, I only cared about being productive. But then since this was my main "struggle" or problem, whenever I end up being productive I'm quite happy about it. It's a different context but it's the same root problem. Being productive or happy are our natural states and it's only being rejected by the idea that we can't be it.

6 hours ago, Myioko said:

That its making a problem after an idea of a problem, that that's the tricky part we have to be careful with? 

Yeah well Truth is that there is absolutely no problem. But to see this one must let go of absolutely wanting to be happy (the problem). What's tricky is as long as you think it's a problem, it becomes one. If there's a leak in your ceiling, the natural thing to do is to fix it but if "you are unhappy", this is untrue so there's nothing to do "about it" rather than stop thinking it. You can sit down and contemplate this idea that you are unhappy but this solution really is the opposite of doing as well. Any good habits will be nice because they will help you think more positively and perhaps eventually totally forget about this idea of a you that is not happy. But essentially it's not true at all, it's only made true when believing it.

6 hours ago, Myioko said:

Not to get too off track, but I'm listening to the full album

And I'm imagining that it's the year 3000 AD and I'm taking a casual trip to hell, and I visit an underworld hell-church and sit on a bench in a corner. And since they're old fashioned, the demons and humans are listening to medieval church music, only in...their style. I'm really vibing and feeling some of it, but then at 11:35 I can't help but burst out laughing, hahaaa I can't stop laughing. Idk if that part is meant to be funny.

Igorrr is just amazing indeed! My interpretation of this album is all the frustration about religion and it's broken promises, learning a dogma from some fat bishop and never actually experiencing God because of it. At least I never saw such depth of frustration being so well expressed from a piece of music and they are mixing so many styles as well.

It sure can make you feel like in hell! At first I thought I would bad trip like crazy if I did shrooms anywhere close to this music. I ended up having so much fun tripping on those albums and now I'm kinda out of fresh music to listen to... For me it really does an amazing job at letting me feel those "bad" feelings in an epic march from hell.

I like this album a lot, but IMO their best album is Savage Sinusoid (other 2 albums are amazing as well, don't get me wrong!). It's less frustration heavy and seems to express a lot of different emotions. Anytime I feel really pissed out though I'll listen to Hallelujah xD

Edited by 4201

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Myioko said:

What I do know right now is that I gotta improve at maintaining a steady habit of simple basic self care, like health and meditation and getting sunlight every day, maybe that's the simple answer.

That is as simple as it is. Put how you feel first. Then inspect, inquire, as to the you. A simple but effective inquiry... am I my thoughts? ...Or is what is actual, awareness of thoughts?

A thought, “I am not getting enough done fast enough”. 

A thought, “I am toaster oven with a broiler feature”. 

Only initially do those two examples seem ridiculous relative to eachother. Only at first glance. 

18 hours ago, Myioko said:

But wait, isn't it more simple than that? Is happiness something that I already have within me, thats getting weighed down by something, my mind gets disillusioned by thoughts and concepts?

Yes, happiness is very much within you always, even more so, it is the true nature, that which never comes and goes. It is what all that is appears within. It is often easier to create contentment, and feel true peace, and then happiness within the peace. But this mere food for thought, pointing. There is nothing between you and true happiness, so to speak. 

So why do I sometimes not feel it, right? 

Happiness is formless, emptiness, so it can not be weighed down. Notice the thought that it can does not resonate. 

Does not resonate, with, what, right?

Happiness. 

You. 

My mind gets disillusioned by thoughts and concepts”. 

Can it be seen right now that that is a thought? One thought, about a mind getting disillusioned by thoughts and concepts. Attempt to point to the mind spoken of. Locate it, describe properties like it’s color, it’s size, it’s shape, it’s dimensions. As it is more so seen that of course this is not possible, it is more so realized that there are not two. There is not this happiness, and also a mind. There is only the thought that this is the case, and like all thoughts that thought appears and disappears. But this true nature does not. 

Innocent thoughts like ‘my mind’ can be convincing, but the route is always to inspect. To see what is actual. To pop those bubbles


MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happiness is simply being radically content with the present moment, regardless of circumstances.

It's possible for you to be complete happy no matter what is going on around you, but the problem is you get in your own way.


"Never held a high regard for Darwin, selection takes too long.
A little kick in the pool shouldn't do us wrong.
Devouring the very last invention man would ever need.
But exponential growth is a frightening thing, indeed.
"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 4/24/2021 at 10:38 PM, Myioko said:

What I do know right now is that I gotta improve at maintaining a steady habit of simple basic self care, like health and meditation and getting sunlight every day, maybe that's the simple answer.

Right on, especially with mediation ❣ 

Keep focus it inward, and ignore all external factors.  Eventually you will experience something called true Happiness as you suspected from within.

 

I validated it for myself.  The result is real and amazing.   But also be aware  this work is a real struggle.  Our egos will find a way to distract and prevent you from doing this work.  That is why, not many people succeeded :)   

But you are on the right track!!!

Edited by Tim Ho

Hakuna matata

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

there are only happenings, no doer no destiny no division

happening is the only happiness

in other words lacking this awakening is the human condition known as me mind misery

 

Edited by gettoefl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/04/2021 at 6:38 AM, Myioko said:

Is happiness something that I already have within me, thats getting weighed down by something, my mind gets disillusioned by thoughts and concepts?

I would say try and avoid attaching stories and metaphors to your emotions. Emotions are in a feedback loop with your thoughts, environment and body. Each thing affects the others. The aim is not to try and control emotions, emotions arise for only one purpose: to get your attention. You then have to work out what that emotion is pointing out and attend to it, otherwise it will keep coming back. If you want more happiness then attend to your body or environment and get things right there first. The flow should be body or environment to emotions to thoughts and then back to body or environment. But we often just get stuck in emotions to thoughts to emotions, without resolution.


Consiousness is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now