fopylo

Should I finish the book I'm reading or should I move to another book?

14 posts in this topic

Hi, so I am busy reading a book about the mental game of music creation, and I would say it is good but I don't seem to take it seriously now. I've been thinking whether I should start reading a different book (money related). I've decided that I want to learn money management and a strong theory and investing since I want to feel this "hole" in Maslow's Pyramid. After I get a basic hang of it I want to go and pursue the tier of Love and Belonging (friends, family, intimate relations).

I want to get those areas handled so that I won't get fucked up later in life. But at the same time this just might be an escape from actually creating music.
One of the main ideas behind the book I'm currently reading is that building the habit of creating just 15 minutes a day in the music workspace will get me to become great. So habit is more important than knowledge, and that focusing on quantity rather than quality is better since you'll get shit done and we have a natural desire to become great.
So I've done this for like 3-4 days and I do get a little nervous because I put importance on those 15 minutes.

Anyways, I was just wondering what should I do in this situation.
(by the way I've also took a break from the audiobook "unleash the power within" from Tony Robbins)

Finish your books first. When you half read books you probably waste time. 

21 minutes ago, BlackMaze said:

Finish your books first. When you half read books you probably waste time. 

I listen to books for about an hour until I decide to keep reading them or not. Some books are garbage, forcing yourself to read them doesnt do you any good.

You can also come back to books years later, sometimes your development is not yet aligned with what youre reading.  

Source: Been listening/reading books to about 150 books since 2016.

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@Rilles yeah if you realize that a book is garbage just stop reading it i don't disagree. I am just saying that if you start reading a book that you know is good don't drop it half way. You have to finish what you start.  I was also a bookworm since i was 12 and probably read 200 books until 18. There is no need to show that your answer is more valid because you read so many books. I agree that sometimes you are just not ready to fully appreciate a book. Example the way of the superior man. When i read it at 15 it was meh but now that i started reading it again is mind blowing. 

8 minutes ago, BlackMaze said:

@Rilles yeah if you realize that a book is garbage just stop reading it i don't disagree. I am just saying that if you start reading a book that you know is good don't drop it half way. You have to finish what you start.  I was also a bookworm since i was 12 and probably read 200 books until 18. There is no need to show that your answer is more valid because you read so many books. I agree that sometimes you are just not ready to fully appreciate a book. Example the way of the superior man. When i read it at 15 it was meh but now that i started reading it again is mind blowing. 

Yeah, I came off as a bit big-brained, that wasnt my intention, it was more that I have learned how to gauge if a book is going to be worth it because of those 100+ trials and errors I went through. Just sharing that wisdom, I do agree that you shouldnt have 50 unread half-open books in your library... Although I do ??

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Whatever you choose.

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

You don't need to read a whole book. You can read a book, take what you need and then go to another book. Books are large investments in time. 

For example you could find a book you want, and read 3 or 4 crucial chapters from it and leave the rest. Or you can read the whole book. I tend to read a few books at once because sometimes a single chapter takes a long to to integrate and to digest. There is nothing wrong with picking up a book, reading it and then deciding your time is better spent in another book. I sometimes read a book, put it down for awhile because something else seems more practical or import for the time. Then I come back to it later on and finish it. 

Totally up to you to figure out what works though. Just because you pick up a new book doesn't mean you instantly forget the other book. I don't find self help to be like non-fiction in that way. 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Thought Art

1 hour ago, Thought Art said:

I sometimes read a book, put it down for awhile because something else seems more practical or import for the time.

This is what I face sometimes. So like I'm busy reading this book and I am starting to not feel so interested but the interest might come later, and for now my attention got captured for a quick moment on personal finance because it is more practical for now and for advancing in Maslow's Pyramid. Not planning to go all in but just to have some strong theory and basic money management.

@Rilles yeah i also started doing it lately.. Usually because a book is too big and a bit boring but still good quality. For example the first book from the booklist about money and the way of the superior man and the 31 days practice of the metahuman book. I'm just saying it because i also struggle with it sometimes. 

Especially as we are maturing what seems important can change. I think the important part if that you find a balance. Sometimes I will jump through a few books, but when it resonates I consume it in a week. As long as you are consistent with you life long learning and skill building and are honest with yourself it should balance out. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

I never do that because I forget what the book is about when I go back to it. If you make notes or underline it is no problem though. If I don't make notes I read it cover to cover in couple of days so most concepts stay online and I understand it cross dimensionally. 

In Tate we trust

@StarStruck

8 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

If you make notes or underline it is no problem though.

I do take notes

It's just that I don't know if reading more will necessarily help me, at least with my current state (the book is insightful though).

Like the book said, getting more knowledge is a trap. Building the habit is more important than building the skillset, it comes before. But I still get a little tensed when working on some music. I don't know if it has to do with the amount of time I give myself, or that I am still in a development stage where I'm still learning to cope with this tension (fear).
Practicing 15 minutes a day without expectation might be a great thing to do but I don't know how much I'll really improve.