SQAAD

Just a Rant about the Absurdity of Modern Intellectuals

29 posts in this topic

I am just getting really tired of seeing Jordan Peterson all over my YouTube feed even though i avoid watching his videos. 

I understand that some of these people offer massive value to others but to me most of these modern intellectuals seems like hypocrites who are exploiting their publicity to make tons of money.

Jordan Peterson didn't even became famous because he was a good psychologist. He became famous just because of the drama he got involved in.

The reason i don't like most of these intellectuals (Sam Harris, Peterson and others) is because they are all over YouTube telling you how to be happy, how to deal with losses, how to that & etc But their baseline level of happiness is pretty much average. (Maybe that's a projection on my part). These people don't really seem happy people.

They always have an opinion about how you should live your life but their life isn't really reflecting that. I can tell it just by looking at their faces. (Maybe i am wrong though)

Of course i am NOT in their minds 24/7. I am just saying that i think. What i see. Maybe i am wrong.

When i watch Sadhguru or Eckhart Tolle i can sense that these people have figured it out how to live a peaceful life.

Eckhart Tolle for example is someone i am jealous of. It is obvious that he does everything that he preaches to others.

Leo is also a good example. It is obvious that he truly values everything he teaches and many times he gets emotional over it.

Most of these modern intellectuals are just very intelligent hyper-logical robots disconnected from everything spiritual. It is hard to connect to most of them unless you are an atheist materialist.

Edited by SQAAD

Look, I can really sense you man. But why care so much? Peterson, Harris & Co. (and also more self-help "gurus" such as Jocko WIlling, Tai Lopez and whatever) are all on same band-wagon of materialism intellectualism, who got stuck really hard in the "orange" values domain. That's their thing, and being trapped in belief system for so long should not interrupt you, because this is just how society works. You can't have Tolle, Ramana, Spira, Adyashanti, Leo Gura, Ralston, Osho, Wilber, and so on (order has no significance) without throwing some Petersoniasim in the mix. That's how society works, it has different layers of mind that reflect the consciousness of the individual. 

You should deep in the Spiral Dynamics water, maybe it's model might clarify this for you.

1 hour ago, SQAAD said:

Most of these modern intellectuals are just very intelligent hyper-logical robots disconnected from everything spiritual. It is hard to connect to most of them unless you are an atheist materialist.

Sam Harris is among other things a gateway to psychedelics and non-duality. JP is in his own ways as well. You just have to dig a bit below the surface.

1 hour ago, SQAAD said:

Jordan Peterson didn't even became famous because he was a good psychologist. He became famous just because of the drama he got involved in.

Nobody gets A-level celebrity famous for being a psychologist. I study psychology and his work gets regularly cited in our books. He isn't a revolutionary theorist or anything, but he is a darned solid researcher. If you were to question somebody's academic credentials it would be Sam's.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

If you had an opportunity to market your ideas and work to a larger audience by having an exploding online presence through YouTube or publicity you'd probably do it to. In fact it's probably better they do that rather than contain it to the narrow domains of university academia. It benefits everyone more when it's out in the open and not limited to those who just pay. Free information and teachings are an incredible modern luxury.

1 hour ago, SQAAD said:

The reason i don't like most of these intellectuals (Sam Harris, Peterson and others) is because they are all over YouTube telling you how to be happy, how to deal with losses, how to that & etc But their baseline level of happiness is pretty much average. (Maybe that's a projection on my part). These people don't really seem happy people.

They always have an opinion about how you should live your life but their life isn't really reflecting that. I can tell it just by looking at their faces. (Maybe i am wrong though)

You are right about this to a degree, but be careful not to obsess about the pointing finger itself over the moon being pointed to.

This is a huge trap. To expect teachers and gurus to be perfect and embody everything they talk about. Humans are flawed. Don't be so eager to throw out valuable information because the presenter doesn't meet your standards. The presenter is pretty much irrelevant.

Also be mindful of your potential arrogance here. You may have an idea or a "hunch", but if you're honest you really don't know how they are feeling internally. Notice how that's also a distraction from your ability to learn and integrate what might be valuable to you.

It's probably just because you don't resonate with them that you feel all these things.

If you don't resonate with something it's best to just focus on something you do.

hrhrhtewgfegege

When you'll meet someone with a 170+ IQ, you'll change your mind.

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

4 minutes ago, Eternal Unity said:

Whenever I think about someone with ridiculously high IQ, I think about this guy (apparently he had 172 IQ):

1 minute ago, Carl-Richard said:

Whenever I think about someone with ridiculously high IQ, I think about this guy (apparently he had 172 IQ):

My friend, 172 is not ridiculously high. I'm talking about an IQ percentile that is 1/1.9×10^11. And even that is not classified as "ridiculous", but as "Profoundly gifted."

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

1 minute ago, Eternal Unity said:

My friend, 172 is not ridiculously high. I'm talking about an IQ percentile that is 1/1.9×10^11. And even that is not classified as "ridiculous", but as "Profoundly gifted."

Ok.

1 hour ago, SQAAD said:

Leo is also a good example. It is obvious that he truly values everything he teaches and many times he gets emotional over it.

This applies just as much to JP and Sam Harris, although Harris is unemotional about it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

21 minutes ago, Eternal Unity said:

When you meet God's IQ, you'll change your mind.

And good news, God is you! ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

14 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Yeah, lol. All perceived limitations with such stuff go away very quickly

Edited by Hello from Russia

50 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Sam Harris is among other things a gateway to psychedelics and non-duality. JP is in his own ways as well. You just have to dig a bit below the surface.

Nobody gets A-level celebrity famous for being a psychologist. I study psychology and his work gets regularly cited in our books. He isn't a revolutionary theorist or anything, but he is a darned solid researcher. If you were to question somebody's academic credentials it would be Sam's.

Unfortunately, Jordan Peterson is more of a gateway to right-wing extremism than he is to non-duality. He holds on to a lot of dogma and ideologies and is clearly a conservative fighting to catch and contain the river

1 hour ago, SQAAD said:

I am just getting really tired of seeing Jordan Peterson all over my YouTube feed even though i avoid watching his videos. 

I understand that some of these people offer massive value to others but to me most of these modern intellectuals seems like hypocrites who are exploiting their publicity to make tons of money.

Of course i am NOT in their minds 24/7. I am just saying that i think. What i see. Maybe i am wrong.

When i watch Sadhguru or Eckhart Tolle i can sense that these people have figured it out how to live a peaceful life.

Eckhart Tolle for example is someone i am jealous of. It is obvious that he does everything that he preaches to others.

I undestand you, believe me. It’s so stressful to be so frustrated and pissed off. What makes you feel better when the thoughts get like this? For me, it’s thinking about something positive I notice about the person that I’m fixed on at that moment.

I don’t know much about Sam Harris, but Jordan Peterson suffers greatly. He had to have an induced coma treatment in Russia to be able to get rid of his benzodiazepine addiction. Mental illness runs rampant in his family. All he is trying to do is fill the void, and by getting all that attention and being viewed as some kind of “free speech” icon, he gets some relief. 

22 minutes ago, SuicidalBug said:

Unfortunately, Jordan Peterson is more of a gateway to right-wing extremism than he is to non-duality. He holds on to a lot of dogma and ideologies and is clearly a conservative fighting to catch and contain the river

True. This has been stated ad nauseum.

@SQAAD eh. Sadhguru not my cup of tea either, worse than JBP if I'm being honest. The New Age in general, I'm not a big fan of.

Edited by Megan Alecia

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

@Megan Alecia Sadhguru being New Age? I think he is more of the Old Age, haha.

Sadhguru is great at being what he is. He is a role model guru, knows how the world works and effectively manages big projects and big crowds. That effectiveness means he needs to maintain a certain persona, public image, that some might not like, but which is needed to succesfully deal with politicians and responsibly lead dogmatic hindu believers.

@GirzoNope, Sadhguru is certainly a part of the New Age movement, along with guys like Eckhart Tolle and Mooji.

That might be good, his influence over his own country at least, but as far as teachings go I haven't found a single valuable piece of wisdom from him. Westerners like his "esoteric teachings" but if it's so good then why does he keep pumping out the same content as if it's a business? Which might be what his work really is.

Edited by Megan Alecia

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

God is Leo ?

6 hours ago, SQAAD said:

+1

David R Hawkins says most of mass is still in low vibe so gotta be real careful on the definition of happiness.

Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Is it possible to access God's IQ, or Any quality then Apply it here being humam being? For example the IQ i am exhibiting God like IQ, or like i am expressing God's Charisma, God's Thick Face Black heart etc. Can i access a thing part of God then be functional and apply it here on Life?